Model 3

If there's a software upgrade to bring the LR Dual Motor acceleration close as the Performance, I wo

Comments

• edited November -1
    I don't go to track anymore. Just faster acceleration is what I would be interested in.
  • edited November 2019
    There is nothing different between the P and nonP. Hardware and motors are all the same. nonP is software limited under 45mph. that's why when you press on the accelerator on the nonP, there is a slight lag in acceleration versus the P. Torque is restricted via software.
  • edited November 2019
    EM say different
  • edited November 2019
    There is pretty compelling evidence that the cars were identical, at least for the first year or so in production. Now, I believe the motors actually have different part numbers which still isn't definitive.

Both the AWD and the P are limiting current. Neither one gives the motors everything the battery has to offer. It's a decision based on many factors. RUMOR has it that EM's personal Model 3 does 0-60 in 2.6s which is around the theoretical answer you get if the setup screenshots are accurate of the 1200A x 400V output the car is capable of.
  • edited November 2019
    Arguing about whether Tesla will offer speed upgrades for money or for free is pointless. Giving away equal speed to people who didn't pay for the top model doesn't help your rep with the people who did.
  • edited November 2019
    "Torque is restricted via software."

To beat a dead horse, acceleration profiles for all the models are controlled by software.
  • edited November 2019
    @lbow

Cool rumor. Care to say where you heard that?
  • edited November 2019
    I would pay for the unlock EM easy money big cash influx before the year end.
  • edited November 2019
    @jimglas EM can say anything he wants. @lbowroom motors are identical.
  • edited November 2019
    @josh: You can say whatever you want. I believe EM, not you.
  • edited November 2019
    Latest software update increased power available by ~5%. However, I believe the Performance power was increased, too, so there will still be a difference.

Owner's manual p. 179 implies different motors for P and non-P. P and RWD is 202 KW @5,000 RPM; non-P AWD is 180 KW @6,000 RPM. Lower RPM for peak power suggests a different motor...
  • edited November 2019
    @jrweiss98020: "Owner's manual"

Check the parts manual.
  • edited December 2019
    Soooooo...who bought it?
  • edited December 2019
    I did. See the 2 discussion threads discussing it.
  • edited December 2019
    I would were it available for my 3P. Was hoping for something like ludicrous mode.

Also, prescient post from KevinRF
  • edited December 2019
    I bought it this morning, was still in the bed when I received the Tesla email about acceleration boost :-)

Happy my wish came true haha

Cheers
  • edited December 2019
    MAB1980 | December 19, 2019
    “I would were it available for my 3P. Was hoping for something like ludicrous mode.”
    —————

So it’s confirmed no availability for PD3?
  • edited December 2019
    Sub 4 seconds for $2K was the sweet spot. I said I would buy that, so I did. In the same hour that I opened the email.
  • edited December 2019
    Ludicrous mode for Model 3? Elon said yes but 3 years ago on Twitter
    https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/726210827699806208
  • edited December 2019
    @kevin_rf on first post of this thread.

Way to call it. Right on the money!
  • edited December 2019
    “ ODWms”

I wouldn’t say it’s “confirmed,” but there is currently nothing offered for mine.
  • edited December 2019
    I’m actually happy if not. At least I don’t have to talk myself out of anything if it isn’t available to me. Lol!
  • edited November -1
    I think Tesla should offer the option of upgrading awd to performance for the cost difference or a bit more so performance people don’t feel short changed. The changing price structure is a bit annoying. I had to pay 2k for white when it cost nothing now and autopilot is included but now is a 3 k add on. Tesla charged more because there was a larger rebate. My awd Drive was 62 k with nicer wheels. Now I could get the performance for 64k with bells and whistles and autopilot included. It is easy to gripe. Tesla is doing what they need to do to succeed but try not to piss people off too much. They should try to keep driver loyalty so people don’t move on to the competition when they show up.
  • edited December 2019
    I think Tesla should offer the option of upgrading awd to performance for the cost difference or a bit more so performance people don’t feel short changed. The changing price structure is a bit annoying. I had to pay 2k for white when it cost nothing now and autopilot is included but now is a 3 k add on. Tesla charged more because there was a larger rebate. My awd Drive was 62 k with nicer wheels. Now I could get the performance for 64k with bells and whistles and autopilot included. It is easy to gripe. Tesla is doing what they need to do to succeed but try not to piss people off too much. They should try to keep driver loyalty so people don’t move on to the competition when they show up.
  • edited December 2019
    Full disclosure here. I paid the extra money for the performance but there are a few reasons why I think they wouldn’t offer just extra acceleration. My understanding with the performance is that there is improved cooling to deal with the capabilities of the car. Furthermore there are performance brakes. If they offer the extra capabilities in the LR, Drivers will likely test the boundaries and without the cooling and the brakes you might be looking at a dangerous situation.