Model S

If you cancelled your reservation, let us know what car you bought!

edited November -1 in Model S
Please provide your former reservation number....if you don't then you might as well be a troll.

Curious to know what you bought instead, options and out the door price.

Like this example below:

528i (46700 base) not nearly as fast as Model S
Ti Silver Met (+550)
Multi Contour seats (+1300)
Nappa leather (+1000)
Cold weather package just to get the split rear fold down seats (+1450)
Premium Package just to get the power rear tailgate (+2250)
Tech Package just to get the rear camera (+1850)
Parking assistant (+500)
Active cruise (+2400)
Comfort access keyless entry (+1000)
Power rear sunshade (+575)
Side and top view camera (+800)
BMW apps (+250)
Head-up display (+1300)
Ceramic controls (+650)
BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade (+2295)

TOTAL: 65745

Comments

• edited November -1
    I saw reference to the 528i going 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. That is pretty darn close to the S with a 40kW pack.
  • edited November -1
    Yep, thought the 528i would be a good example.
  • edited November -1
    Wouldn't a better example be a comparison between the base vehicles? The 528i listed above is loaded with well over $7k in options that as far as I know aren't even available on the Tesla.
  • edited November -1
    I wish I could compare the 'Model S' with another vehicle on the market, or at least to one that is forthcoming, however, unless you plan on buying the Model S for short trips around town, or have a crystal-ball to tell the future of gas prices over the next five years, I don't see any comparison what-so-ever other than the Nissan Leaf (which would never work for me do to lack of range and luxury).

Personally (IMHO), if I only used my car to drive a few miles a day, etc, I would never even consider buying the Model S. I am buying it because where I live (California) gasoline is very expensive, plus drastically changes in price depending on how tall the grass grew overnight /season, and I drive in excess of 25k+ miles a year in bumper-to-bumper gridlock traffic. Thus my overall savings and price offset in the long run, is excessively different than that of someone who will only be putting 5k+ miles a year on it. Never mind, the added ability to use the HOV (carpool) lane single-occupancy in my state (which value cannot be determined).

Thus I have already estimated (based on typical oil market speculation, volatility / trends in my state, plus the type of luxury ICE car I would buy), I will be saving in excess of $6,000.00 a year, or as much as $21,000.00 in three years of owning the Model S. Also I will be gaining an estimated extra 200+ hours per year for sleep, relaxation, and quality time.

However, for sake of argument, if the ‘Model S’ where just an ICE car (average of 20 MPG), I would likely compare it to either the Porsche Panamera or the Audi A7.
  • edited November -1
    You can ballpark the value of HOV access by, at a minimum, your hourly wage rate or, possibly, your hourly billing rate. I can't bill my clients while sitting in traffic jams; at my billing rate ($675/hour), allowing me to bill even 2 hours/week for 48 weeks generates $64,800 in additional revenue, thus paying for the car just in lost billable hours!
  • edited November -1
    Does the HOV access in California include those express lanes you pay for with your FastPass RFID if you don't have at least 2 people in your vehicle? They just installed one on I-680 near me in Fremont, that's why I'm asking. (I know you folks in SoCal have lots of these already.)
  • edited November -1
    Virginia ended special access to many HOV lanes for hydrids and EVs purchased recently. If it had been retained, the benefit would have justified a huge premium for an EV for those in Fairfax County (one of the richest counties in the nation) since the main highway to/from DC is entirely HOV during rush hour. I know Tesla has better things to do, but getting that back (at least for EVs rather than hybrids) would probably sell enough cars to justify any lobbying expense.
  • edited November -1
    RB, given your locale and situation, an interesting suggestion for you just popped into my head. Give me a ring at 604-647-4539 and I'll pass it on for your consideration.
  • edited November -1
    No HOV in Chicago area. I would rather not work 2 more hours a week anyway.
  • edited November -1
    Andrew;
    the natural and probable outcome is that you leave home later to arrive at the same time, but less fumigated and aggravated. :D
  • edited November -1
    fumigated?
  • edited November -1
    I think the idea is he's sucking down less exhaust fumes by zooming thru traffic in the HOV lane.

/agree
  • edited November -1
    Yes, ICE exhaust fume-igated.
  • edited November -1
    and you are exhausted when you get there!