Model 3

Cabin Overheat protection

edited November -1 in Model 3
Is this feature working for you?

I have it setup to Fan Only. The release notes says that when interior reaches 105F the fan will turn on (don't remember exactly the wording). Both cars interiors get to 115F while sitting in the sun. One is on 2019.5.4, the other on 2019.5.15.

Keep Climate ON is OFF, as I don't want to maintain 69F.

I am expecting if fan turns on then interior temp to fluctuate between high 80s (or whatever threshold turns it off) to 105ish.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Comments

• edited March 2019
    It you look at the warning with fan only, it says it will turn it on at 105F but that temperatures can go higher, it you go with the full AC mode of it you will find your car sits around 100 to 105 but power use is much higher.
  • edited March 2019
    Yeah, shame there's no sunroof to crack open while parked...
  • edited March 2019
    Hi, I just got my Model 3 last Thursday, it's my first Tesla so I'm still learning but aren't there two different climate controls for when the car is off? I assumed one was for when you leave the car at first for a short time (I assume full A/C) and the other setting which can be found next to dog mod, will run A/C when the car reaches 105F and will only cool it to below 105F.
  • edited March 2019
    @alphacompton, Cabin overheat protection settings are in Safety & Security. It's explained on page 101 of the manual.
  • edited March 2019
    Sounds like it is working as designed.
  • edited March 2019
    I have done a few more tests, one involving me sweating in the back seat with the car locked to see when the fan does actually turn on (no status in app)
    The fan does eventually turn on when interior temp got to 127F. Fan stayed on until temp reached 100F then turned off.
    So it works, but the manual reference about 105F when using no-AC option is misleading.
  • edited March 2019
    They say be careful what you wish for.....temp here is currently 27 f. Car temp is most likely in the 30s. Temp tomorrow morning will be around 11....haven't really used ac yet, delivery was Oct 2018. I am a teeny bit jealous if you, not gonna lie. :)
  • edited May 2019
    Does anyone know why this feature is there? Does it serve a purpose in protection the cars electronics or is it simply for convenience?
  • edited May 2019
    There is no official word from Tesla about why this feature is here except to make it more pleasant, or something like that. BUT, many of the earlier cars, the screen in them would stop working, show vertical lines across the entire screen, or something else making the entire screen unusable. One of the factors that has been attributed to this is a high temperature in the car. Tesla went with "non-automotive grade" screens, so their tolerance for heat is not as good and can cause display issues. This feature in question is rumored to help reduce the heat in the car to help control this issue. But, this is only rumors and speculation based on some known information about issues with screens.

Hope that helps.
  • edited May 2019
    It’s there so the M&Ms in your console won’t get all gooey. :-)
  • edited May 2019
    Report on the news tonight of another child dying after been left in a car.

If you have a pet or a child, please, please leave cabin overheat protection on.
    Yes, you almost certainly won't leave either in the car, but you never, never can be absolutely sure, right?
  • edited May 2019
    Sadly, a good trick is to leave your phone with the child because people don’t forget their phones.
  • edited May 2019
    It's critical to know that Cabin Overheat Protection DOES NOT PROTECT LIFE. It only attempts to keep cabin temperature below 105°F.

To protect life, you would need to enable the "Keep Climate On" or "Dog Mode" feature, which must be enabled EVERY TIME YOU TURN OFF THE CAR.

And none of these features will operate once the battery drops below 20%.

So, there is no feature in the Model 3 that can be permanently enabled that you can then count on to save the life of your unattended child or pet.
  • edited May 2019
    COH will not work with security alarm turned on. Not sure why the menu allows COH to be turned on when security alarm is selected.
  • edited November -1
    Halbach,
    What is COH? Do you mean Cabin Overheat Protection? It most certainly does work with the Security Alarm. It also works with Sentry Mode. The ones that don't play well together are Dog Mode and Sentry Mode. You will not be able to select them simultaneously.
  • edited May 2019
    Anyone know the reason for that? What does cabin overheat protection have to do with the alarm?
  • edited May 2019
    @Neomaxizoomdweebie For several versions of the software, cabin overheat did NOT work with security or sentry, and when you pressed it 'i' info button on cabin overheat it said as much. Which really ticked me off, because it used to work with the security alarm and I couldn't see a good reason for it not to.

Now with 2019.16.x the 'i' info button on cabin overheat no longer says that. I haven't had warm enough weather to test the operation, but I'm hopeful.
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks Kathy. I didn’t realize that. I guess it hasn’t yet been hot enough for me to notice. :-)
  • edited May 2019
    @SteveWin1, Unless your dog is already deaf, or has a penchant for toccata and fugue in d minor blaring dangerously loud, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want sentry mode on when your dog is wandering around in the car.
  • edited May 2019
    but Sentry mode cams would only detect motion on the outside, right? no internal cams are being used here. Just the left and right repeaters and the central one facing forward (in the rear view mirror housing)
  • edited May 2019
    @finman100: Correct, video is from outside the car only. Since Sentry Mode starts saving video as soon as someone approaches the car, any intruder would get recorded before getting inside the car (or hopefully before running away when the alarm goes off).
  • edited May 2019
    @twistedskipper
    105F is unpleasant and undesirable, but a car simply left outside in the sun can get to above 150F, and that's lethal.
  • edited May 2019
    So can anyone confirm that indeed COP works along with security alarm with .16 software?

I have a feeling that the alarm would get activated by the HVAC system turning on and that was the reason. Perhaps they have refined the alarm to ignore HVAC activity in the latest sofware release.
  • edited May 2019
    @Halbach: I don’t think the climate control system has any impact on Sentry Mode. I’m pretty sure I’ve remotely turned on the AC while Sentry Mode was active, and it would be pretty limiting if you couldn’t do that.