Northern California

Rear Ended Yesterday on I5 Near Sacramento Airport. Need Repair Advice.

Rear bumper smashed in the collision but my MS75D is driveable. Drove to the Rocklin SvC right after the collision since I live nearby, They said they recommend Kniessel (sp?) for their body work. Anyone with similar mishap I would appreciate hearing about your repair experience so I may earn from your mistakes (if any), and also get your advice. Side note, dude who hit me was 23, and when I asked him for his insurance he showed me a renter's insurance policy. CHP arrived and took a report and the officer said the guy was being cited for, among other things, no insurance.

Comments

• Kniesel's In Rocklin is the only Tesla approved body shop in the Sacramento area. They have done great work on my Model S and X during the past five years.
  • edited November -1
    They also replaced the rear bumper on my 3 when I backed into a post (gray pole against a gray wall in a dark parking garage. Doh!) They handled working with my insurance, handled the rental car, and handled paperwork between my insurance co and the guy who did my wrap. Really nice people to work with.
  • edited November -1
    @robert and @Kathy. Thank you. I filed my Uninsured Motorist claim. Went to Kniesel's today (3/22/2019) and was told that the first available appointment for them to give me a damage estimate is May 23, 2019. So it is a two month wait just to get the repair process started. The nice young woman at Kniesel's said that the earliest I will have the repairs done on my car is "this summer."
  • edited March 2019
    Where's my facepalm icon.....damn that sucks.

Hang in there sir!
  • edited March 2019
    I've had non-Tesla repairs done at Kneisels. Good experience.
  • edited April 2019
    My insurance agent is a family friend. She just called me and said Fix Auto in Sacramento is "authorized" to work on Teslas. I called Fix, they said they just got approved by Tesla and can get me in immediately for a repair estimate. I am scheduled for Monday. I will let you know if this place checks out.
  • edited April 2019
    Nice! Yes, please keep us posted.
  • edited April 2019
    Went to the Fix Auto shop. On the wall in the lobby they have a "Tesla Authorized" repair facility document. The estimator was very nice and appeared to know about Teslas. Got an estimate and they ordered the parts. I counted 4 other Teslas at the shop, three MS and one M3, with far more damage than mine that were in various states of repair. Once my parts are in and repair begins I will update.
  • edited April 2019
    Thanks for info!
  • edited May 2019
    Update: Fix Auto called me today 5/29/2019. All of my parts are in and my repairs will begin on Monday 6/3. I am dropping my car off in the morning on 6/3 and they said they will begin work same afternoon. They estimate the repairs to take 4 to 5 workdays. I'll keep you posted.
  • edited November -1
    Great news for Sacramento area Tesla owners.
  • edited November -1
    Another update: Fix Auto called me on 6/7, four days after I dropped off my MS. They found additional damage requiring other spare parts which were not ordered since they didn't detect the additional damage until my car was torn down. Now it looks like 4 weeks to get the parts and 7 days for repair. Should get car back in mid July.
  • edited November -1
    FWIW, Kniesel's did a partial disassembly when I took mine in for the estimate to avoid just this situation. Took them about 30 minutes, and since they found something else to order I thought it was 30 minutes well spent.
  • edited June 2019
    Update and good news. Fix Auto received the additional parts on June 12 and repaired my car in 5 days. They detailed it and I picked it up today 6/20/2019. Car looks great, and exactly 3 months after the collision I'm back driving my MS75D.