Model 3

Rear cross traffic alert?

edited November -1 in Model 3
RCTA rear cross traffic alert , many of us have it on other cars, it seems like Tesla could add this feature through a software update using existing sensorsan cameras.
This would be imo another basic safety feature included in all cars to keep them competive with the market.

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Definitely agree, was a very helpful feature in my Mazda 6.
  • edited March 2019
    Really? The backup camera is a really wide angle camera. When I back out, I just look at the camera for cars. Granted, if they're ever going to have real FSD and the Tesla ride-sharing network, the car is going to have to know when it's safe to backup, so maybe it's a good thing for them to work on.
  • edited March 2019
    Agree, would like to have.
  • edited November -1
    I made a equest for that, probably in August 2018, I got a very positive response from Tesla. But, up to now, no action.
  • edited March 2019
    SteveWin1 there are a number of times when it is tough to see the screen clearly (it may be raining and the video blurry to you, the sunlight is coming in directly behind you and making the screen tough to read, lighting is bad, etc.) or if you are looking over your shoulder our out your side view mirrors and a car or person comes up quickly when a warning chime would be very helpful.
  • edited March 2019
    It is entirely possible they'll add it at a later date just like they did with the blind spot detection.
  • edited March 2019
    are you talking about a chime or some other sound if someone or something is crossing when you are trying to back up. I would love that feature. Have it on my other family suv, wish it was on the Tesla. Hopefully it can be added. That is a very helpful safety feature.
  • edited March 2019
    Rear cross traffic alert would be far more useful than, for example, the fart app.

Please add this safety feature!
  • edited March 2019
    Rear cross traffic alert would be far more useful than, for example, the fart app.

Please add this safety feature!
  • edited November -1
    Cross traffic monitoring seems to be problem. A warning for upcoming Enhanced Summon is that it is unable to anticipate crossing traffic.
  • edited March 2019
    thedrisin How do you know advance summon can't detect cars when it is backing out? Seems like they would have to have something . Of course the cars coming toward a backing car should also be watching and stop to avoid a collision if it does happen right.
  • edited March 2019
    Mine makes a sound when a car approaches and it stops. Maybe its a setting you don't have enabled?
  • Please Tesla, enable back up warning. So used to it in my last car, I nearly got into an accident as I forgot I didn’t have this feature.
  • edited March 2019
    This topic has been discussed before, and the consensus was that the car would require hardware updates to support rear cross traffic alerts (unlike blind spot alerts), so you won’t see this in a firmware update.
  • edited March 2019
    @EV, what consensus? I don't see the need for hardware updates - rather, more weighting to the side sensors on the rear bumper and possibly image processing of the rear cameras should do the trick in most use cases.
  • edited March 2019
    @Tcloutier5890

Backup warning should not be used in that manner anyway. No amount of getting used to it, then having it taken away, should cause an accident. It doesn't take away your responsibility to look. It only helps if you don't see when you look. Forgetting you don't have it doesn't matter at all in that case.
  • edited March 2019
    There will always be those exasperating people in this forum who purchase a vehicle with the most advanced electronics and say you shouldn't need anymore new tech than you had in your 1950 Dodge or you are a poor driver. None of these tech improvements replace the standard driving techniques but are driver's aids and assist the driver to be a better, safer driver. Technology has helped people improve throughout the workplace and home. Driving is no different.
  • edited November -1
    @thedrisin

If you were referring to me, notice I say it is not needed. I only said (s)he can't blame the car, only (her/him?)self

Even if you have the alert, expecting it to warn you if something is there _is not_ how it is intended to be used. Tcloutier5890's comments suggest that (s)he doesn't actually look, but relied on the beeping from the previous car.
  • edited March 2019
    @rxlawdude: Ok, maybe not a consensus, but it’s still not clear the existing hardware is sufficient. Here’s one of the other threads I was referring to: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/rear-cross-traffic-alert
  • edited March 2019
    So the true systems use radar, while Tesla uses ultrasonic sensors. I believe HW 2+ beefed up the ultrasonic detection to (IIRC) 30 feet.

While not foolproof (NO cross traffic alert is), it's certainly possible to do better with the existing hardware and some clever programming.
  • edited March 2019
    Tesla is lacking in some standard safety features found in most current vehicles. Side mirrors with sensors and warning indicators built in to the mirrors. Rear cross traffic warnings. My traded in 2017 Bolt had both. My new 2019 Volt has both. My wife’s 2015 Q3 has both. My sons 2018 Jetta has both. There is simply no excuse.
  • edited March 2019
    @howard.
    +1.
    My daughter's Honda CR-V, Subaru Crosstrek, and wife's Toyota Highlander also have them. I only purchased cars for them that had these safety features. I wanted a Tesla, best EV out there, but felt this was a compromise not to have those features.
  • edited March 2019
    thedrisin | @howard. +1. I wanted a Tesla, best EV out there, but felt this was a compromise not to have those features.

Agreed, one of the factors why I did not buy a second Tesla.