Model 3

Stinky car

Started getting a smell similar to stinky feet a couple months ago out of the HVAC system. It has become more frequent and stronger now bordering on smelly feet dipped in doggy doo. Besides being unpleasant it's also embarrassing and certainly doesn't impress non-Tesla owners/potential buyers. I've tried turning off the circulation, tried turning off the AC 5 minutes prior to stopping, tried setting the temps low, high, blower high, low etc etc. with the only solution being to not run the AC and just roll down the windows. Have an appointment set to change filters and spray some solution into the system but am being told it may return. Has anyone experienced this and if so, found a solution?

Comments

• edited April 2019
    Did you recently fornicate in your car? If so, just leave the windows down over night. Do this while parking in your private garage of course. If that doesn't help, buy febreeze unstoppable for car, the black one. Also, chew gum or have a mint while driving.
  • zpzp
    edited April 2019
    Probably antifreeze. Mine smells like paint. Gonna take it in.
  • edited April 2019
    Check your A/C drain
    Is like your house A/C if it does not drain it will leak into your car
  • edited November -1
    Drive it without using recirculation for a good month or so. There are also products on the market that you set off in your car with the AC running on high so it circulates through all of your duct work that may help.

I had a new headliner put in my previous car and not only did the car have a strong smell of the contact cement they used it also smelt like bad body oder. The deodorizer removed all of the smell permanently.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/odor-eliminators/16125?&beginIndex=0&sortBy=5&_r=0.01684739755124809
  • edited November -1
    The recent OTA update added smell to the Emissions Testing easter egg. Use with caution.
  • edited November -1
    Yikes
  • edited April 2019
    Same issue with AC (no prob if not using AC/defroster). Mobile said need new cabin filter and will also order evaporant. Waiting follow-up
  • edited April 2019
    Ours just started smelling. It is likely related to the lack of the Collings coil from drying out. Hopefully Tesla will release a firmware update to dry out the AC system after usage. The nice thing is that Tesla can do this in firmware. It would do this after you park. The coils would be heated with exhaust to outside rather than recirculate. The moisture would be blown outside the car after you park. Probably would take 5-10minutes to dry out the system. May be more difficult with climate control on, but I’m sure they will figure it out soon.
  • edited April 2019
    My car smells like a hint of Musk...
  • edited April 2019
    I had the same problem with my A/C. 1st happened during a very hot day last summer when the A/C cut out and expelled a pretty foul odor. I took it into the service center and they replaced my air filter. It was a temporary solution that lasted a few months and the smell returned. When the A/C starts to smell, I usually turn the A/C and circulation off, crank up the fan, and set it to heat for about 10 minutes. It seems to be a temporary fix but the smell always comes back. I'll be taking the car in for other issues and will have them check the A/C system again. I'm wondering if it's mold or mildew growing on the internal A/C components or air filter.
  • edited November -1
    Mayhaps you have a smelly cat living in your stinky car.
  • edited April 2019
    Rodent died inside your havoc maybe? It happens
  • edited November -1
    *Hvac
  • edited April 2019
    This is definitely mold/mildew growing in the condensate. Plugged drain is one definite cause, but even with the drain patent it can occur.

We've just started warmer days and so more A/C in SoCal, and that smell is pretty nasty intermittently.

Lynyrd Skynyrd: "Oooh that smell, can't you smell that smell..."
  • edited April 2019
    Mine smelled too from Day 1 and took to service and they cleaned out the HVAC system and problem solved!
  • edited April 2019
    @EM34ME recent update added Elon's musk.
  • Thanks for all the advice, hopefully my filter change will at least hold me over until that firmware update. Fingers crossed, nose plugged.
  • edited July 2019
    Mine has started getting stinky too. Only when A/C first kicks on. Smells like stinky feet. Lasts for 10 sec or so and clears up. Annoying. Will call for fix.
  • edited July 2019
    this is not a tesla problem, you have mild in your A/C system.
  • edited July 2019
    I live in LA.... I have this issue too... Gonna try the deodorizers...
  • edited November -1
    If you have Mold in AC system, then likely the water drain is either defective or blocked which could actually be a tesla problem if the Draining system wasn't sufficient for the system.
  • edited July 2019
    Have same smell. Intermittent. Guess I'll break down and set up service call. Lots of possibilities. Hope they're up on them all. Only want ONE visit.
  • edited July 2019
    We have never had an odor issue in 3 Teslas for
    5 years. But there could be medical issues.

https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/diseases-doctors-can-smell/
  • edited July 2019
    I wonder if @TTap has info as to where the A/C drain is located on the M3. This seems to be a common problem, but I NEVER had it in our 2015 MS.

So it may be a unique issue in the M3.
  • edited November -1
    Smells like fish, tastes like chicken.