Model 3

Stinky car

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Started happening in my car too. I followed the advice in some thread and starting using outside air (turn off recirculate) periodically. Seems to "fix" the problem almost immediately. I now probably run outside air 1 or 2 times per week and have been fine for the last month or so. Not ideal but...
  • edited July 2019
    @vmulla Are you interested in truth or not? Do you know for sure it is not mildew as you claimed?
  • edited July 2019
    Maybe it's really stinky feet.
  • edited July 2019
    SC said not a problem on S and X. Just 3. It’s inconvenient but $90 to replace the filters every 6 months ain’t bad. Mobile ranger can do it at your home or work.
  • edited July 2019
    Outgassing of passengers maybe?
  • edited July 2019
    @Magic 8 Ball You haven't been in my car, have you?
  • edited July 2019
    Does it smell like broccoli?
  • edited July 2019
    more like asparagus
  • edited July 2019
    Yeah, not me. I am told my outgassing smells like roses but you have to get your nose real close.
  • edited July 2019
    same problem here. started about 3 weeks ago. will make an appointment. Got the car in Jan 2018.
  • edited July 2019
    @Magic 8 Ball Old rotten roses at your gentle age...
  • edited July 2019
    @tanya You don't like the smell of potpourii?
  • edited July 2019
    Maybe Elon went too far with the fart app update.
  • edited July 2019
    I can't believe that I'm responding to these posts. I've gotta get a life!
  • edited July 2019
    @Magic 8 Ball I'd rather use poo-pourri.
    The smell in my car persisted for some time but now it is gone. Until next time...
  • edited July 2019
    @tanya Some have said simply changing to fresh air instead of recirculate worked for them. What do you think you did to make it go away, if anything?
  • edited July 2019
    @Magic 8 Ball Washed my feet? lol Nothing, really. I did install the latest firmware/software, but I am not sure if that fixed it since I'm not on the "latest" latest.
  • edited July 2019
    I could see a firmware fix where maybe they control vents or actuators to run the AC a certain way to avoid the issue.

Car to self: I need a shower.
  • edited July 2019
    Haven't had the problem in my Tesla, but on Lexus I had years ago after had the same issue. Solved it by opening windows, turning fan to max, recirc off and spraying a few seconds of Lysol near the outside air inlet. Let the fan run for a couple of minutes.

Only needed once every couple of years.
  • edited July 2019
    @Ttap, this issue is different. As many have mentioned, this is NOT an issue in MS or MX. I've noted no condensate from the A/C in my garage, while the S next to the 3 has a pool.

If the solution is a $90 filter every six months, there goes the "no maintenance needed" argument. And if Tesla is backordered on these filters, it suggests this is an issue, no?
  • edited July 2019
    Well, it was never really no maintenance. Just light maintenance.
  • This is NOT just Tesla, it is a problem with all cars, climates like Florida will make it more common. The AC turned off is cold and holds the moisture in the condenser, bacteria starts building up.
  • edited July 2019
    No problem here but I drive in Sauna Mode.
  • edited July 2019
    @minervo.florida sure, but it seems that’s it’s a far more common issue with the model 3.
  • edited July 2019
    Internet forum statistics are worthless.

Numbers proving "more common" please.