Model 3

Stinky car

Comments

• edited July 2019
    I'm sharing my knowledge and experience. This is some smell from the interior of the car it is consistent, and it was a common problem very early on in my ownership and it just went away.

Its a very different smell, and if you had it in your car you'd know its not mildew - because most of us know what mildew smell like (most common varieties at least).

As far as being interested in truth, if you know the truth tell it - and I'll learn. I am sharing what I know, as truthfully as I can. People who have this problem know that I'm talking sense.

I suspect its a change in recirculation logic - more like it was reverted to an older version.
  • edited July 2019
    @vmulla Good you are back. Do you know, for sure, it is not mildew? Yes or No.

You definitively said NO are you sticking with that?

Others here say it is mildew.
  • edited July 2019
    If you have any doubt then you are not interested in truth by pronouncing it is not mildew.
  • edited July 2019
    :) try harder

I'm making sense to some folks who're experiencing the problem, that's because I've been there
  • edited July 2019
    You are not interested in truth. You are making claims you can't back up.
  • edited July 2019
    I've shared my theory.
    Don't like it, don't take it.
    Got a definite explanation, then give it
  • edited July 2019
    Finally a theory, yet you definitively claimed it is NOT mildew.

Was it hard to backpedal into "theory" after being called out?
  • edited July 2019
    @M8B,
    You're trying to hang on to one word choice I made, versus all the text I shared indicative of a theory? Go ahead.
    I'm really talking to the people who have the problem - they would have actually read my account for what it is.
  • edited July 2019
    You are backpedalling.

Mildew has been brought up by others and you dismissively said it is not mildew.
  • edited July 2019
    Read how many times I used the word and synonyms of theory in this thread.
  • edited July 2019
    Now it's back, I suspect they changed the software for the AC to whatever it was back then - totally guessing here. But cars can't en masse loose a problem and then get it back for no reason. Has to be something to do with AC recirculation logic.
  • edited July 2019
    You started that way and then changed to a definitive statement saying it is NOT mildew. Stay truthful, t does not get clearer than that. Your backpedal is obvious.
  • edited July 2019
    I'm just guessing based on following the forum for so long, this has to be caused by an update in recirculation logic.

Can someone tell if the vents under the hood close/open when the car is parked? I remember talking about a correlation.
  • edited July 2019
    I'm so wrapped up in my theory I'm not able to see beyond it. I've been wrong before, someone just has to show me the obvious other side sometimes :)
  • edited July 2019
    See any consistency yet?

So I use one wrong word choice and all that I said to stay truthful didn't matter??
  • edited July 2019
    So there's my theory.

If you folks find out what it is from a service center please put this to rest.

It just doesn't smell like any mildew that I know :)
  • edited July 2019
    Stay truthful, stay consistent. Not everyone is experiencing this in fact all we have is a handful of internet anecdotes and you are jumping to a problem with the car.

Isolate the variables and we have no way to do that on the internet to be able to draw any "generic" conclusion. Since so few are experiencing this I would start looking at differences in users since all the cars are the same. Excessive butt sweat, maybe; smoking in car, maybe; etc.
  • edited July 2019
    What was the expression about opinions and a-holes?
  • I had the problem in both of previous Model S cars before our Model 3's
  • edited July 2019
    I had this happen in my 2 month old car. Ask these folks how old their cars are. Let's consider likeness of mildew in new cars - not impossible, just improbable.

I'm not just saying it for the sake of it. It was discussed on this forum that the underside where the car's air blows over comes into contact with something that has this smell. It was a THEORY that the first blast is ejected from the car. Which is why I was asking about the vents under the hood - to try to make a connection.

No one is saying the car is faulty or dangerous. It's just putting together the peices I know to form a plausible theory.
  • edited July 2019
    Over 300K out there now, only a few reporting stinky cars, do the math. Cars are all made the same, people are not. Lifestyles, habits, illness, etc. are all possible reasons some may experience. Some people report having this in many cars they owned and some never experience it . Are the cars different or are the people different? Mold mildew bacteria etc. can grow very quickly.

Shower more.
  • edited July 2019
    Ok, there are so many variables - as to how long the car is in use, the location (high humidity vs low humidity), how you personally use the AC, if you have snow/rain environment that could track water into the carpets, how Tesla selects recirc vs fresh automatically, kids in the car that dropped french fries between the seat, birds that strategically drop a load between the windshield and the hood, perfumes worn by people in the car, sunscreen or other ointments that wipe onto seats or door arm rests, drinks that leak into the cupholders or carpets, food ground into seat cracks, etc.

There can also be manufacturing defects, such as some odd glue that leaked into the air paith or a coolant leak in the AP processor (which might drip into the carpet).

The A/C coolant line could be plugged, which could easily cause a mold issue. The air filter could also be contaminated by something sucked into from the outside (pollen, smoke, etc.)

Ok, that's all I can come up with - but one person's issue may be unrelated to others. Very hard to tell. In the end and it's going to require some detective work to find what and where an unusual smell is coming from. Good luck!
  • edited July 2019
    "The A/C coolant line ..." should be "The A/C condensate line..."
  • edited July 2019
    Drains getting clogged is the first thing to check on the car for sure. Does anyone have knowledge of where to look for drain lines and how to check for clogs? A spider or insect is all that is needed to clog a drain path.
  • edited July 2019
    @Magic 8 Ball “more common” was what I was told by the service tech. It wasn’t based on Internet forum statistics. It was based on a Tesla service tech telling me it’s common on the model 3 and not common on the model s or x. It was the Tesla service tech telling me they can’t get the filters because of very high demand. It was the Tesla service tech saying that it “seems like every model 3 has this problem now.” At least in SoCal.