Model 3

Stinky car

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Bummer, a tech in socal is slightly better than internet statistics, lol. Seems to only be a recent thing here on the net shared by only a few. Someone reports that they did a firmware fix for it, we will see. Strange that we are not hearing many more reports on the net from socal.
  • edited July 2019
    I think forum users are a minuscule percentage of actual owners. All of the model 3 owners I know just get it fixed and move on with life.
  • edited July 2019
    And like I said earlier. I’m doing the same. Waiting for my mobile ranger appointment to replace. $80 every 6 months is peanuts and fine with me.
  • edited November -1
    Yes and SC techs are often mistaken. Anecdotes, even first hand, are not really data neither are random, unvalidated, reports on the net. There are several Socal forum users reporting in with no stink. The problem does not sound widespread and there is no official word from TESLA about a firmware change to address it. It is rumor at this point.

I do not doubt the problem is real for some I just don't think it is widespread as some are trying to make it to be. We see a lot of mountain making out of molehills here and I suspect many that don't have stick will go to there cars and start thinking they do stink just from the suggestion.
  • edited July 2019
    My name is Frank, and I have a stinky Model 3. Not "stinky feet" or "Vinegar", just plain occasionally overwhelming mildew smell. Of course, everyone's sniffer is different, and any builtup biofilm in the A/C has different microorganisms from car-to-car so my description of the smell isn't going to match yours.

My observations:
    1. I ran the A/C for a couple of hours in my garage - turned it on at 74F in my 105F garage, then opened the doors to force the A/C to run continuously. I didn't see any condensation dripping on the floor, so I pulled the Frunk liner to see if the condensate drain was draining. Nothing was coming out of it except a stream of cold air. Of course, living in Phoenix, the dewpoint was about 20F that day, so perhaps this wasn't totally unexpected.
    2. I pulled the cabin air filters, and used a camera to look inside the evaporator box. It was pristinely clean - no signs of any buildup of any sort on the top side of the evaporator core, no pool of stinky water in the bottom that I was expecting to find. The evaporator core is tilted, and I couldn't see the lower side where condensation (and any mildew buildup) is most likely to be.
    3. Whoever designed the access door for the cabin air filters should be fired. It's held in place by a single screw, which is fine - except rather than being at the bottom of the door where it would be easily accessed, it's at the top of the door which makes it nearly invisible and very difficult to access.
    4. I bought a can of this ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z2MKO ), and sprayed it over the core from the cabin air filter slot. Much more effective than the recommended approach of snaking it up through the condensate drain and spraying. It drained freely from the condensate drain, proving that was clear. I let it set for half an hour or so, then sprayed the core with water to rinse (directions say this isn't necessary) and let it set another half hour to fully drain. Turned on the fan at full speed (with the doors open) to finish drying the core and get the cleaner smell out.
    5. The next day I had beautiful air coming from the vents - no nauseatingly sweet "Lemon scent", no sickening mildew smell, just cold, odorless air. We'll see how long this lasts.
    6. I hope that the reports are true - that a recent FW update runs the fan after parking to dry the evaporator core and stop microorganism growth, preventing the smell. I love Tesla - any other manufacturer with this problem would tell you "Well, that's the way this model is; bring it in every six months and we'll clean out the evaporator (for a small fee)". Tesla says "Here, let me fix that for you".

Anyway, just one man's anecdote, but perhaps with a bit of extra information.
  • edited July 2019
    Frank99 | July 20, 2019
    My name is Frank, and I have a stinky Model 3. Not "stinky feet" or "Vinegar", just plain occasionally overwhelming mildew smell. Of course, everyone's sniffer is different, and any builtup biofilm in the A/C has different microorganisms from car-to-car so my description of the smell isn't going to match yours.

My observations
    2. I pulled the cabin air filters, and used a camera to look inside the evaporator box. It was pristinely clean - no signs of any buildup of any sort on the top side of the evaporator core, no pool of stinky water in the bottom that I was expecting to find. The evaporator core is tilted, and I couldn't see the lower side where condensation ....

6. I hope that the reports are true - that a recent FW update runs the fan after parking to dry the evaporator core and stop microorganism growth, preventing the smell. I love Tesla - any other manufacturer with this problem would tell you "Well, that's the way this model is; bring it in every six months and we'll clean out the evaporator (for a small fee)". Tesla says "Here, let me fix that for you".

Anyway, just one man's anecdote, but perhaps with a bit of extra information.

Hmmmm... Interesting theory that this isn't about dirty filters, showering.
    Wait, the theory even talks about a software update fixing this.

Where have I heard that before?? ;))
  • edited July 2019
    @Frank99 - Thanks for going the extra mile and providing a real solution and writing it up! I love that you scoped out the core. I bought a cheap video scope a few years ago, but was utter trash and returned it. What brand/model did you buy?
  • edited July 2019
    Thanks Frank, so since it smelled mildewy do you think it was mildew? At least one person on this forum definitively states it is NOT mildew. I have also heard rumors about a firmware update to address this but no confirmation from TESLA so we will leave that up to the rumor mill to digest for now.
  • edited November -1
    This problem went away, and now it's back.

In my opinion, the software fix was already done to avoid this smell. Just as with any software, sometimes old fixes are broken - I'm expecting this to be such a case.
  • edited July 2019
    No confirmation or statement from Tesla there was anything done in software for this.

RUMOR
  • edited July 2019
    Are those reporting this smoking in their car?
  • edited July 2019
    This rumor is actually a compliment to Tesla for fixing a problem early on :)

Anyone who has coded software knows it's quite easy to reintroduce a behavior that was previously addressed.
  • edited July 2019
    My Audi A6 had this problem like crazy. It was brutal.

I noticed my parents Toureg also has the same issue. My Toyota Sienna to a lesser extent. My Mazda CX-5 also to a lesser extent. My 911 C4 Coupe also had it. Somewhere around the same as the Mazda.

My Model 3 hasnt yet but I haven't owned it as long as any of the other cars. It just seems that it is common to cars that have air conditioning. I have owned 2 vehicles that didn't have AC. No such smell.
  • edited July 2019
    How is a RUMOR a compliment when it is a RUMOR (I.E. something that is not validated)?

Do you come from a place where lies are compliments?
  • edited July 2019
    I rarely share religious quotes, but:

The Lord gives us all good guidelines: Listen to people you trust. Don’t fuel speculation. Deal in the truth.
  • edited July 2019
    Any religious quotes about:
    - being respectful
    - against profanity

Hmm?

Want to avoid speculation? Let's do that. Can we not speculate this was not previously fixed? Why? Because the problem went away :)
  • edited July 2019
    I just stopped in at the Marietta service center to see if they had any filters I could buy. They don't have them yet but are expecting a big shipment of them later this week.

The service manager, whom I have dealt with before and who seems very well informed and professional, volunteered that Tesla is telling him that the fix to prevent this issue from happening again, once the system has been cleaned out, will be in 2019.24.x.

Thanks, Frank99, for the detailed instructions. I just ordered some of that product. And you're right about the screw location and, more generally, the location the filters themselves. I managed to get at the filters earlier this week, and I can't remember the last time I did such contortions. Not really looking forward to doing it again, but now that I am familiar with the process, it should be less difficult next time.
  • edited July 2019
    My prior statement was for @vmulla the liar.

As far as pushing back on my bad behavior I find it right in with your character flaws to try and justify your own bad behavior by pointing out bad behavior from others, you are not helping anyone.
  • edited July 2019
    Oh wow, a service manager is suggesting a software fix for a stinky car?

Where have we heard that it could be possible? Someone with a username @VMulla suggested it first on this thread :))

Furthermore, I suggested this was in the recirculation logic. Even going beyond that I shared that this was common earlier and that I believed this was already fixed once.

Let's talk about theories, conjecture, belief, misleading whatever else shall we. We do that because Tesla doesn't tell us what was fixed. We use the data we know to make sense of it all.

Liar? What about?

Go find something better to do.
  • edited July 2019
    "We" those that care about helping others do not fabricate lies, conjectures, and rumors. "We" deal in what can be validated, facts, and truth. Liars do nothing of the sort, they make things up. As far as patting oneself on the back for a potential "fix" hate to break it to you but your speculation is not original.

Go back to where you came from (keeping with the times : )
  • edited July 2019
    I had the same issue with my Model 3. I took it to the service center and they replaced the air filters and cleaned the evaporator. It costed me $150 for the service.
  • edited July 2019
    @vmulla Detailed release notes would be nice....

As far as the insults from the other poster, I really wish Tesla forum admin would spend a few days in the forum and start banning people as the forum is pretty darn close to unusable when the same 4 or 5 constantly attack, belittle and insult others...

Meh, guess I am now on deck for the attacks and insults but I do agree with you...
  • edited July 2019
    Those that are here insulting and pushing back on those that disrupt the forum purely with BS that is intended purely to disrupt the forum and lead newbies astray and fill them with false hope, rumor, and speculation they are the ones watching out for others and are here to help others avoid the troll traps.
  • edited July 2019
    @rawball You whined many times you were going to higher ground on different forums, but here you are whining again about what TESLA is not doing. Whiners gonna whine.
  • edited July 2019
    On different forums? Do you all never get tired of trying to stalk others? Newsflash... I often try to take this user name and it's already gone elsewhere.... If you see someone with this user name posting on another forum that does not mean it me.. I have this user name on ONE other forum.....

Good grief you all crack me up.... Who would have ever though you'd be subjected to stalking all because you post a simple opinion on a forum.....