Model 3

Stinky car

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Change your name to rawballs maybe that will work.

Funny you accuse me of stalking, I am not forcing you to reply, do you understand?
  • edited July 2019
    looking around this forum: I remember from high school seeing latino and black girls fight like wet cats
  • edited July 2019
    @sheldon I remember seeing boys and girls of all kinds fight on occasion.
  • edited July 2019
    I also remember from grade school the crybabies that repeated over and over again "I am outta here" but they never left.
  • edited July 2019
    Two days now, and not a hint of smell from the A/C.

I don't think that an air filter replacement is necessary, or will help. If you've got a stink going on, try cleaning the core even if you have to put your old filters in afterwards - I think you'll still have a 99% improvement.

TeslaTap -
    It was a cheap, utter trash video scope. But with patience they are possible to use.

M8B -
    I think it was mildew on the back side of the core that I couldn't see.

vmulla and M8B -
    Neither one of you is going to intimidate or convince the other, but while you're p*ssing back and forth the rest of us are getting covered and don't appreciate it. So, could you please cool it?
  • edited July 2019
    @Frank99 lol!
  • edited July 2019
    @Frank99,
    I don't like being called names and insulted when I'm sharing info and opinions as best as I know it.
    Unfortunately, you're right, my personality of not taking insults against me lying down affects the forum negatively. I realize it more than you'd imagine.
    I apologize to you and others for the effects, not for standing up for myself.
  • edited July 2019
    @Frannk99 Any pics of removing cover to access filter?
  • edited July 2019
  • edited July 2019
    @vmulla Thanks for the video. That guy is insane.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use a sharp pointed metal hook to remove anything in the car. Use plastic tools only. Had that guy hooked into a wire, the wrong wire, he would not be happy. Totally nuts.
  • edited July 2019
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As far as myself, I wouldn't do anything on a Tesla. Far too complex a machine to even understand, let alone work on.
  • edited July 2019
    A Tesla Ranger needs to come to your location, remove the air filter, spray some mold killer in the evaporator and then install a new air filter. While a software update solved the problem by continuing to blow air through the system after the AC is shut off ( to keep the evaporator dry ) you need to have it sprayed to get rid of the smell - just replacing the filter is not enough. My service fee was about $35 plus the cost of the filter which was about $35.
  • edited November -1
    >>> Far too complex a machine to even understand, let alone work on.

That may be true of some parts of it, but the vast majority of the car is like any other car. I've been wrenching on my own cars since, well, I got a mini-bike in 6th grade. I'm not intimidated by anything on the car that isn't served by a 1/2-inch diameter orange wire.
  • edited July 2019
    @WCovington,
    Did you get the software update now, or in the past?

If it's something new, what version are you running.

----
    I'll say it again, this problem was there early on and then it wasn't. If we could search the older posts, this is a reduex of discussions from the early days of this forum.
  • edited July 2019
    vmulla -
    I have a theory - the problem was there last summer, then disappeared for the winter, and is now back...

I got my Model 3 in May of last year, and noticed a bit of mildew smell in the summer but nothing like this year. Didn't notice anything this winter, even though we have been known to use the A/C in the winter - I'm guessing that it just wasn't used enough to generate enough moisture to reconstitute the mildew.
  • edited July 2019
    @Frank99,
    To me the risk tolerance is not just about bodily damage. It's also about monetary impact of my fix going sideways. I'd rather pay Tesla to fix anything that has a sensor feedback to the car's computer.

The front end damage on my car was basically a 3in dimple on the bumper and a crack - that caused severe effects to autopilot and triggered unimaginable number of error codes. That experience made me even more averse to fixing anything on a Tesla myself.
  • edited July 2019
    Maintenance is different than repair.
    Remove cover, remove screw, remove filter cover, pull out filters, spray in MILDEW killer, replace filters (new ones might not be needed if they are not dirty).
    Easy Peasy
  • edited November -1
    @Frank99.
    Like I'm repeating, this was forum topic back then.

The first mention of this is when I recalled there was a software fix for it. I'll be plain and tell you I'm not smart enough to imagine a software fix for car smells. I'm just recalling what was already discussed in the forum.
    Here we are 2 days into the topic and folks are slowly confirming that there's a software fix for this problem. How is that?

Read my first post on this topic here. It suggests that a previous software fix for the smell was reverted. Again, I'm not smart enough to imagine software fixes for smells - I'm just recollecting previous discussions.
  • edited July 2019
    Anecdotes do not confirm anything, can you not understand that liar?
  • edited July 2019
    More specifically anecdotes about a software stink fix do not confirm there is a software fix. Show me some TESLA notes on this. The stink is caused by aliens living in the evaporator compartment.
  • edited July 2019
    Magic 8 Ball | July 20, 2019
    Maintenance is different than repair.

---

Very true, but unless Tesla suggests that its ok for me to do it and gives me a manual with instructions I'm staying away from doing anything on the car - that's just me.

I tried changing the wipers, that as simple a maintenance as possible. I just couldn't find parts and had to go to service. The kind folks snapped them in for me and saved me that experience too :))

Each person is different :)
  • edited July 2019
    Yes, but there is no reason to scare people with stories of error codes going off on something completely unrelated.
    The TRUTH is this is an easy thing for most car people to do.
  • edited July 2019
    Giving people the truth and confidence to do this stands to save them time, money, and frustration of living with stink until a service appointment is available. Stick to the truth, do not put FUD on this normal and easy maintenance item.
  • edited July 2019
    @M8B,
    Really?
    There are now 3 forum members who takes about software fix for this problem.
    One of them specifically talks about a conversation with a service manager, another mentions a fix, the third explains how keeping the air blowing even after exiting the car helps dry the filter out to fix the root cause.
    And yet you don't want to give credence to the possibility? That's fine, but why are you so quick to call me a liar?
  • edited July 2019
    Talk is talk, I watch alien programs on TV all the time. Do you think the government is hiding secret alien intel from us?

Rumors are lies.