Model 3

Initial Odometer Reading?

edited November -1 in Model 3
I am supposed to take delivery of my new M3 this Saturday but I just found out the odometer is showing 34 miles. I understand that initial mileage is due to factory testing, but I feel like 34 is excessive, and I’m now contemplating rejecting delivery.

Curious to know if anyone else accepted a M3 with this “many” miles on it. I know at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter, but I just want some reassurances that I’m not accepting a car that was a loaner, demo, test-driven, returned, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• edited November -1
    The rep at the dealership stated that on the paperwork that all Tesla’s were listed at 50 miles initially. I think that it is BS but my mileage was minimal. I hate to say it but if you ask for any change it leads to disaster with this company. Get your car as soon as possible and forget the rest. :-)
  • edited May 2019
    Just ordered mine and it said 50 miles as well to which the salesman said it’s what they all say and that my specific car had 3 miles on it which is fine by me.
  • ferris bueller no doubt!
  • edited May 2019
    Yes I am aware that all MVPAs say “50” miles o them. I just wasn’t sure if an actual mileage reading of 34 was considered out-of-the-ordinary or not.
  • edited May 2019
    I think you can pretty much strike loaner and returned off your list. I doubt someone would drive that little in either of those situations.
  • edited May 2019
    My car had 9 miles on the odometer and I picked it up only 2 miles from the factory.
  • edited November -1
    Pretty sure I had either 60 or 80. I had already spent way too much time and energy making it through hoops and hurdles, so I took it. I have no regrets. (Model 3 is an amazing car; their sales and marketing is killing the company).
  • edited November -1
    Full factory warranty up to 50034 miles. Roll with it. It will cost you a great deal more effort and time to reject IMO.
  • edited May 2019
    Mine had .4 miles.
  • edited May 2019
    What is your tipping point? Legally it appears it can have more miles than that and still be "new"?

33 miles okay?
    29 miles okay?
    25 miles okay?
  • edited November -1
    You can decide what to do after you look at the car on Saturday. If it doesn’t look “used” don’t worry about it.
  • edited May 2019
    I took deliver on my driveway and had 20 miles on it because the Tesla delivery guy needed to drive the vehicle to me. That is totally acceptable to me. In the grand scheme of things, I thank that 50 or so initial miles is just a drop in the bucket. I say just enjoy the car!
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks, everyone! I am just being paranoid because of all of the horror stories I've read about various delivery experiences. My concern is that the "high" mileage might just be a tip of the iceberg. I'm gonna remain optimistic and hopefully I don't find any other red flags on Saturday. Really not trying to go through this whole process again!
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks, everyone! I am just being paranoid because of all of the horror stories I've read about various delivery experiences. My concern is that the "high" mileage might just be a tip of the iceberg. I'm gonna remain optimistic and hopefully I don't find any other red flags on Saturday. Really not trying to go through this whole process again!
  • edited November -1
    @mereikat Many horror stories are made up or over exaggerations. You will be getting a brand new car (you will be the first owner). Don't sweat the details. If you want real paranoia buy a microscope and check out all the stuff crawling on you. : ).
  • edited November -1
    When I picked up my model 3 they told me the same thing, that they have to put 50 miles for the DMV to record. I think your ok @mereikat. It's going to be worth it I promise.
  • edited May 2019
    "horror stories"
    "high mileage"
    "tip of the iceberg"
    "red flags"

Yes, you're just brimming with optimism.
  • edited May 2019
    Yeah this OP is doomed.
    She is referring to this as a red flag and it is nothing of the kind.
  • edited November -1
    1 mile on mine picked up in fremont.
  • edited May 2019
    Don’t worry about it. How did you find out what the ODO was before delivery? Ours had twenty something when it showed up. I sold Porsche when in undergrad and and back then We would “put it in service” so the Speedo and ODO were activated. I can tell you there were many Porsche’s sold with <5 miles on the ODO that had been driven hard
  • edited May 2019
    Here's my story/opinion. I took delivery on 3/30/19 and the car had 61 miles on it. I was told that it was used for a few test drives/loaner. As I had waited (4/2 would have been 3 years) all seemed OK until a couple of days later I noticed that the door jamb indicated MFD 12/18 and it is a 2018 vehicle. The on-line and confirming paperwork at delivery does not indicate model year and I was disappointed. I rationalized that no big deal - 60 miles and I would have lower bills for Insurance and MA excise tax. However, I couldn't let it go. So, I called Tesla on a Sunday and reached the sales fellow and he seemed to be supportive and told me to contact the Delivery Team Manager (the next morning). They called at 6:00 PM that evening and indicated that they would refund $4615 which I received 4 days later! Additionally, as the "final settlement price" was now $49950 it fell under the MA threshold ($50K) and I will receive $1500 from the state. So, I suggest at a minimum you check the door jamb as you never know. The car is fabulous ; good luck! Ron
  • edited July 2019
    Where is the odometer location
  • edited July 2019
    The index of the owner's manual says the information for where the odo is can be found on page 6 of the owners manual. Check it out!
  • edited July 2019
    The mobile app also shows the odometer reading.
  • edited July 2019
    T logo