Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

My New Model 3 SR+ Only Has 220 Mile Range

Comments

• edited November 2019
    He said they were sour because he didn’t have the wherewithal to reach the grapes. Sad.
  • edited December 2019
    @rstromsoe - As noted earlier in the thread, if you paid for a SR+, call service and ask them to confirm that your car wasn't inadvertently software-locked to a SR. If it is, they can fix it over the air.

Tesla Montreal says my SR+ is 220 miles max and that there is no difference between SR and SR+.
    Thats not what they told me when i bought the car in 06/2019
    How can i get this fixed?
  • edited January 2020
    I also have the problem, created many tickets and was quickly closed saying there is no issue and it’s “normal”. I’m so unhappy with Customer service. Pretty much useless.

My coworker who got his car a week before me doesn’t have the issue off the lot.
    I will keep pushing. Any other recommendations would be A
    appreciated.
  • a_pa_p
    edited February 2020
    I am totally with you jinlong.ye.88. I am also disappointed with Tesla support so far.

I have SR+ and Tesla support is saying I have 250EPA. My Tesla mobile app shows 220 miles with 100% charge and my car is showing 226miles at 100% if I convert % to miles. Actual miles I get is around 100-120 miles with 80% charge.

Very frustrating that I bought this lemon. If someone has recommendation what I should be doing please let me know.
  • a_pa_p
    edited February 2020
    I am totally with you jinlong.ye.88. I am also disappointed with Tesla support so far.

I have SR+ and Tesla support is saying I have 250EPA. My Tesla mobile app shows 220 miles with 100% charge and my car is showing 226miles at 100% if I convert % to miles. Actual miles I get is around 100-120 miles with 80% charge.

Very frustrating that I bought this lemon. If someone has recommendation what I should be doing please let me know.
  • a_pa_p
    edited February 2020
    Hello [email protected],

Where I can find the car sticker? One paper which came with the car says EPA of 240miles and 25kwh per 100 miles.

Energy graph shows last 5, 15, or 30 mile average only and that is 267 Wh/mi.
  • edited February 2020
    So the paper shows EPA 240 and your car shows 226? And you get 120 miles at 80%? With range that bad, my assumption is it is cold where you are and possibly drive > ~60 mph (both significantly impact range).

The guessometer in the car somewhat takes these things into consideration. 226 on a 240 car is almost definitely fine and expected. It is not an exact number and does not reflect battery health (except in exceptional circumstances).
  • edited February 2020
    a_p,

If you have a 2020 model year, then you have an EPA rated range of 250 miles. Previous model years for the SR+ were at 240 miles. The battery meter range is just an estimate that is influenced by external factors such as temperature. It is not a measure of battery health. You can try deep cycling the battery a couple times as this may recalibrate the BMS to improve the accuracy of the range estimate. If you want to see the actual range of the car, then you need to charge to 100% and go on a single trip without idle time, duplicate the efficiency on the rated line in the energy graph and see how far you can go on that charge. You will likely find that you get very close to the EPA estimate. What your dealing with is far more likely to be inherent issues with precisely measuring SOC and battery capacity. Until you know the actual range of the car while duplicating the EPA wh/mi constant, there is no reason to assume a problem with the car.

https://www.tesla.com/support/range
  • edited February 2020
    "Where I can find the car sticker? One paper which came with the car says EPA of 240miles and 25kwh per 100 miles."

The car sticker with range and details should be in the glove box. It shows what you purchased.

https://www.myev.com/research/ev-101/how-to-read-an-electric-vehicles-window-sticker

Sounds like you found your sticker and you have a 240 mile range car with a 60kWh battery. The Rated Range line in the Energy/Consumption graph should be at 250 Wh/mi. New car, charged to 100% should show the 240 mile as the Rated Range.
  • edited February 2020
    @a_p Did you follow hokiegirl1 suggestion? It seemed very detailed and spot on and has worked for the others complaining about the same issue. A car is not a lemon just because it gets 20 or 30 less miles of range, unless you're posting simply to troll.
  • edited February 2020
    Senor Pescado, incorrect. The constant for a 240 mile range SR+ is 220 not 250.
  • edited February 2020
    "The constant for a 240 mile range SR+ is 220 not 250."

Is that what your car's sticker says for range?
  • edited February 2020
    @pescado - you said the rated range line is 250 wh/mi (which is not range). I’m correcting you that the rated constant for the 240 mi range SR+ is in fact 220 wh/mi.

@250 mi EPA range owners would love to know your constant.
  • edited February 2020
    " I’m correcting you that the rated constant for the 240 mi range SR+ is in fact 220 wh/mi."

Depends on battery size, the range of the car is whatever is on the sticker.

The Wh/mi is a bit of a floater as it depends on battery size but it should be different for 220 mile range car vs. 240 mile range car.
  • edited February 2020
    The Wh/mi is a bit of a floater as it depends on battery size -fish

There is no dependency on battery size for efficiency.
  • edited February 2020
    "There is no dependency on battery size for efficiency."

310 miles/75kWh battery = 243 Wh/mi
    310 miles/85kWh battery = 274 Wh/mi

Many Teslarati were quite exercised about "inefficiency" of Porsche Taycan due to high capacity battery and low range.

Wouldn't get too far in the weeds with it, the author was looking for a sign of increased range via the "Rated Range" line in the Energy/Consumption graphic as evidence of his car's rated range.

A change in the Rated Range number on the Energy/Consumption graph would show that.
  • edited February 2020
    Interesting. Just few month ago Fish claimed that no one knows true battery capacity of model 3 but Tesla.
  • edited February 2020
    Oy

“ The Wh/mi is a bit of a floater as it depends on battery size but it should be different for 220 mile range car vs. 240 mile range car.”

Surely you are not suggesting the 220 mile range car is using a constant of 240. Look, the BMS is calculating what it thinks is available capacity. Brand new that capacity / the constant of 220 will give the 240 estimate on the green battery guesstimator. The battery is software limited on the SR for 220 miles, meaning it limits the capacity the BMS reports as available. Now the 250 range is still a mystery, since I cannot find a post indicating what the constant is. Did Tesla reduce the constant to 211 (from 220) with the same capacity OR did Tesla unlock a bit of capacity via BMS calculations. Tesla already reported they achieved without expensive battery upgrade, so presumably the same pack.

And Fish you don’t need to answer as I know you don’t know. Someone with a 2020 will need to observe the rated wh/mi constant and report back.
  • edited February 2020
    "Now the 250 range is still a mystery, since I cannot find a post indicating what the constant is."

I think that was author's point, that constant Wh/mi expressed as Rated Wh/mi on the Energy/Consumption graph would have to change for the car to be rated from 240 miles. vs. 220 miles. Both cars could not have the same Wh/mi rating.
  • edited February 2020
    FISHEV is present. To you newbies: Watch it with this guy.

Public Service Announcement:

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
    names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
    take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
    suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
    about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
  • edited February 2020
    Wouldn't get too far in the weeds with it, the author was looking for a sign of increased range via the "Rated Range" line in the Energy/Consumption graphic as evidence of his car's rated range. -fish

No, the “author’ never mentioned the line. You started the line nonsense in this topic.

Even when I mention efficiency, you think I mean the “line”.
  • edited February 2020
    Fish can't think. He just throw shit around and see what sticks
  • edited February 2020
    Throws*
  • edited February 2020
    People asking very reasonable questions about capacity as expressed as a range. I don't get why people get defensive about it or say 'just ignore it and switch to % display' or even 'who cares, it doesn't matter'. Of course it matters. If it didn't, nobody would by a LR model, but they do because they want the larger battery capacity that makes it possible to drive further (given the same conditions) An EPA/rate range SR+ model should be reporting 240 range at 100%. Plenty do so, from what I've seen in forums. But quite a few only show about 220. Why is it so hard for Tesla to give clear information on this and stop the endless debate. It's not unreasonably for customers to ask these questions or expect answers.
  • edited February 2020
    People asking very reasonable questions about capacity as expressed as a range. I don't get why people get defensive about it or say 'just ignore it and switch to % display' or even 'who cares, it doesn't matter'. Of course it matters. If it didn't, nobody would by a LR model, but they do because they want the larger battery capacity that makes it possible to drive further (given the same conditions) An EPA/rate range SR+ model should be reporting 240 range at 100%. Plenty do so, from what I've seen in forums. But quite a few only show about 220. Why is it so hard for Tesla to give clear information on this and stop the endless debate. It's not unreasonably for customers to ask these questions or expect answers.