Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

My New Model 3 SR+ Only Has 220 Mile Range

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Because the concerns people have are a result of not understanding the difference between an estimated range who's variance is dependent on the environmental conditions and your driving habits, and the EPA rating. And people are trying to correlate the estimate they see on their main screen to a concern that there is something wrong with the car.
  • edited February 2020
    andy.connor.e I think you (and others) are misunderstanding what people are saying. Most people I have seen understand that actual range varies according to many variables. But if a car that is meant to be able to travel 240 miles based on EPA conditions, only displays only 220 miles of range (based on EPA assumptions) then it is reasonable for them to wonder if there is a problem. People realise that on a cold day, driving uphill and in a headwind, they won't get anywhere close to that. That is not what is being questioned. Really what people are saying (I believe) is: 'is all of the advertised capacity of my car working'. Because tesla don't say what the capacity is or report it, other than in 'miles', then miles is the only way that people can judge that capacity. If you buy a pint of beer, you expect to get a pint. People seem to be arguing 'don't worry if you got a pint or not. You can still have a drink, and you can always top it up again if you are thirsty'.
  • edited February 2020
    real-scalextric,

Battery capacity itself is affected by temperature. Also, battery capacity and SOC is notoriously difficult to measure precisely. Thus the reason it is just an estimate and not an indicator of battery health. Just because the battery meter range estimate is off by 10% does not translate to 10% degradation or 10% loss of actual range. It is normal for the estimate to vary over time.
  • edited February 2020
    “But if a car that is meant to be able to travel 240 miles based on EPA conditions, only displays only 220 miles of range (based on EPA assumptions) then it is reasonable for them to wonder if there is a problem“

Exactly. And what did I buy? Sticker has to be provided with the car and the sticker will state the cars range in miles.
  • edited February 2020
    BTW, did you know that gasoline volume varies with temperature as well? It varies by 0.069% for every degree Fahrenheit. Nobody complains when their gas tank holds less fuel in the summertime.
  • edited February 2020
    Yes all of the advertised capacity is working.

"Most people I have seen understand that actual range varies according to many variables. But if a car that is meant to be able to travel 240 miles based on EPA conditions, only displays only 220 miles of range (based on EPA assumptions) then it is reasonable for them to wonder if there is a problem."

See this gets back into the weeds again. People dont actually understand because of this statement:
    "if a car that is meant to be able to travel 240 miles based on EPA conditions, only displays only 220 miles of range (based on EPA assumptions) then it is reasonable for them to wonder if there is a problem."

240 miles based on EPA conditions is not what the car is displaying to you, which is an estimate based on conditions and driving habits. Even gasoline cars have range estimators that are based on your driving efficiency, and not based on the EPA efficiency. This is where the disconnect is and always has been. And for whatever reason people cannot understand it.
  • edited February 2020
    andy.connor.e: Oh, come on, Man! The 'for whatever reason people cannot understand' is painfully obvious. No need to be delicate, gracious, or kind on this. Some people are purposely obtuse, like Trolls, others are just dumb as [FLOCK].
  • edited February 2020
    stingray.don - thanks. Useful explanation that adds value (that capacity itself is not an absolute).

andy.connor.e - I don't believe it is correct that '240 miles based on EPA conditions is not what the car is displaying to you, which is an estimate based on conditions and driving habits' .

My understanding is that display is rated range/EPA. Certainly on my car, I consistently get 177miles at 80% charge- and this has NOT changed in the 4 months I've had the car, despite the weather getting considerably colder and the car having had 4 months of my driving habits..... So for me, the 'whatever reason I can't understand it' is that if variables are meant to change it, I would expect to see a change. I haven't. Instead, I've just seen 10% less range at 100% charge than I expected for day one. Yet I know of and have seen a bunch of other cars that show the expected 240 miles. I know there is complexity in this, but the fact that there is continuing discussion shows that Tesla need to be clearer on this. ReD eXiLe ms us - Why turn to insulting people you don't know instead of seeking to understand a valid point that is different from your own. Not helpful.
  • edited February 2020
    Green bar is not rated range despite Fish calling it so. It is estimated driving distance when set to Mike's and available energy bar when set to %
  • edited February 2020
    Miles *
  • edited February 2020
    real-scalextric: Wait... I figure most here have introduced themselves. Dumb people seem to go out of their way to do so, so as to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

Are you saying that no one should insult anyone unless they have personally met face-to-face...? Honestly, I will consider myself lucky to never meet R Kelly, Kanye West, Will.I.Am, or Donald Trump. That fortune would certainly keep me out of jail for Assault. So, if you don't mind, I'll just keep insulting them all. OK? Good.

And also..? What [FRACKIN'] 'valid point' are you speaking up for anyway? Who made it, in what context, and why shouldn't they be insulted, in a public forum, for sying something DUMB in a public forum?
  • edited February 2020
    Does anyone who face this issue of charging to 100% only get 220 instead of 240 miles had the SC fixed their issue?
  • edited February 2020
    riderblue,

I doubt it because the battery meter range is not an indicator of battery health. My standard spiel:

The battery meter estimate is just an estimate that is influenced by external factors such as temperature. It is not an indicator of battery health. If you charge to 100% and drive the car until the battery is depleted while duplicated the rated wh/mi, then you should get very close to the rated range regardless of what the battery meter range estimate states.

https://www.tesla.com/support/range
  • edited February 2020
    Stingray.don what I don't understand it that if the battery meter estimate is influenced by external factors, you would think the range displayed would vary. But there seems a fair few people who's SR+ cars all shows 220miles when fully charged. Mine has always and consistently shown 220 mile fully charged, despite the weather getting a lot colder in the last 4 months (which should mean the estimated range displayed would reduce). It seems very strange that the estimated displayed just happens to be the rated range of the SR model 220 miles- perhaps the reason lots of people question this.
  • edited February 2020
    "It seems very strange that the estimated displayed just happens to be the rated range of the SR model 220 miles- perhaps the reason lots of people question this."

Its not strange, it's a fact. The miles seen when one toggles from Miles to Battery Per Cent is the Rated Range for the car. When new, when charged to 100% the Rated Range should match the cars Rated Range on the sticker.

It doesn't on many cars and this is why people have questions.
  • edited February 2020
    Bc green bar is not rated range slow Fish
  • edited February 2020
    real-scalextric,

You have a good point. The problem is that the battery battery is just a rough estimate based on the EPA rated constant wh/mi. The battery stores energy not miles. If you are really interested in seeing your usable battery capacity, then charge to 100% and drive the car in a single trip without idle time down to as close to 0% as you can reasonably get. Then extrapolate your total range based on the energy remaining. Then multiply the total range by the wh/mi for the trip. Then divide by 1000. That gives you the total usable capacity of your battery. You can the. Compare your capacity to the capacity of a new battery (75 kWh for the LR but you would have to look up the SR+). This experiment should be conducted during warm weather as cold temps reduces capacity. The battery meter range estimate just isn’t accurate enough to draw any conclusions.
  • edited February 2020
    When new, when charged to 100% the Rated Range should match the cars Rated Range on the sticker. -fish

Rated range is always rated range. Doesn’t need to be new or charged to 100%.
    When making up definitions you shouldn’t use the exact same words to mean different things.
  • edited February 2020
    stingray.don thanks- continued helpful posts. Bottom line seems to be lots of reasons that you can't make any conclusions about battery capacity health from the car display. It does seem poor show from Tesla that they don't provide better information to put this topic to bed. Hopefully the fact that lots of people seeing about 220 miles in the range display means all is ok (rather than the alternative that there are lots of batteries that don't have the working capacity that they should). Seems like there is no way to know as a consumer, other than to do the driving test you propose. Thanks again for helpful information.
  • edited November -1
    "Hopefully the fact that lots of people seeing about 220 miles in the range display means all is ok (rather than the alternative that there are lots of batteries that don't have the working capacity that they should)."

More that Tesla is not providing 240 mile range to people who purchased the car. Same disadvantage when you go to sell or trade vs. a Tesla that does have the 240 miles vs. your 220 miles.
  • edited February 2020
    For those people whose SR+ was [email protected]% and now is fixed to be at [email protected]%, can you please let us how did you fixed the issue? The original author of this thread (clam), you mentioned you have this fixed. How did they fixed it for you and did the problem came back (you have [email protected]%). How many people out there still have this issues (SR+ charged 100% is 220 and not 240). Tesla service folks are not knowledgeable and just want to get you off their back. The don't know that the display (battery icon) is not related to the driving habits but a formula base on a constant. The energy app is the one that is base on your driving pattern. I have this issue since Nov-2019 and looks like I am stuck with it for the rest of my cars useful life span. Don't really want to give up on this and want to hold Tesla to get a solution!
  • edited February 2020
    riderblue,

Deep charging cycles might help recalibrate the battery meter estimate.

Have actually tried to measure your battery capacity to see your actual usable capacity?
  • edited February 2020
    Running into the same issue as everyone. June 19' build date SR+, consistent 220 mile range when extrapolated to 100% charge. I keep it charged nightly between 80-90% and lifetime wh/mi is around 255 with 10,000 miles on the odometer. I have charged to 100% 3 times I believe. I think there is an issue with battery packs or BMS issues for the March-June build date SR+'s. So far, keep getting the brush off from tesla service with no real answer. Running the Teslafi app, I can see my battery is ranked much lower than the fleet. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as the 5%-100% on one trip doesn't seem to help the users that have tried that before.
  • edited February 2020
    Both my daughter and I purchased Standard Range Plus model 3's last year. I have fewer than 3000 miles (OCT 2019) while she has 10,000 miles (Jun 2019). Neither one of us have ever seen our rated range above 220 miles. I have been back and forth with the local service center in Dania Beach, FL. The service center assures me that we both have a SR+. I purchased a third party app called STATS that shows the rated range at 217 and 219 respectively. I got tired of dealing with the service center and called Tesla support directly. The person on the phone told me that both of our cars were software locked and that I would receive a software update to fix the issue within a couple of days. That was on 2/19/2020, I contacted them again by phone today (2/25/2020) and this time the guy on the phone tells me that both of our cars are configured correctly and that he can't explain why our cars are rated at lower levels. I NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS ISSUE!!!! Any suggestions would be welcomed.
  • edited February 2020
    Both my daughter and I purchased Standard Range Plus model 3's last year. I have fewer than 3000 miles (OCT 2019) while she has 10,000 miles (Jun 2019). Neither one of us have ever seen our rated range above 220 miles. I have been back and forth with the local service center in Dania Beach, FL. The service center assures me that we both have a SR+. I purchased a third party app called STATS that shows the rated range at 217 and 219 respectively. I got tired of dealing with the service center and called Tesla support directly. The person on the phone told me that both of our cars were software locked and that I would receive a software update to fix the issue within a couple of days. That was on 2/19/2020, I contacted them again by phone today (2/25/2020) and this time the guy on the phone tells me that both of our cars are configured correctly and that he can't explain why our cars are rated at lower levels. I NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS ISSUE!!!! Any suggestions would be welcomed.