Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

My New Model 3 SR+ Only Has 220 Mile Range

12345679»

Comments

• edited February 2020
    stingray.don, I like your soda example! But how does a custom make a claim to Tesla that his/her battery has degraded 30%. Do you expect the customer to do what you suggest and some how document the finding on video and or otherwise and present the finding to Tesla and ask them to make good the claim of a 30% battery drop? Tesla can again refute the finding. There need to be a standard method agreed by both Tesla and customers to measure battery degradations. And currently there is none and the interpretation of degradation is all over the place. All I know is that a lot of us charged to 100% and get 220 with only a couple of thousand miles in the car and we specifically pay extra for the 20 miiles. That is not right! When your battery does degrade to more than 30%, how the hell does want get Tesla to replace it under the 100Kmilles/8 year warranty. Telsa can give the same BS as they are doing now and said the it is not really 30% degration but is based on temp, driving habit. ect.
  • edited February 2020
    riderblue,

It’s in the warranty. Tesla decides the methodology and the warranty does not elaborate further.
  • edited March 2020
    My Model 3 Standard Plus immediately went from a charge limit of 239 at 100% to a charge limit of 208 at100% the moment of downgrade to Standard five months ago. !

Please keep in mind this is a charge limit at 100% AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RANGE BASED UPON MY DRIVING!

My Model 3 was delivered on March 27, 2019. As I indicated it was delivered as a Standard Plus and subsequently downgraded to a Standard.

My driving habits are very conservative. My odometer reads 6398 today. My Wh/mi for the last 4800 miles is 213.
    (For the last 6398 miles my average Wh/mi is 218)

Therefore, given my conservative driving and the immediate drop in my CHARGE LIMITATION FROM 239 STD+ to 208 Std indicates there is either a software glitch in the downgrade OR there is a defect in the battery or charging system.

Tesla refuses to provide any explanation for the immediate drop in charging capability. I never was able to charge to 220.

I did not downgrade to lose more than the promised 20 miles of charge limit.

Based upon the posts in this thread, I’m not the only one who has been prevented from being able to charge their car to the proper level.

I am still waiting for a resolution from Tesla after numerous phone calls, emails and service center interactions without
    any answers that make sense.

Any feedback?
  • edited March 2020
    you're saying your range went down when you downgraded from SR+ to SR?
  • edited March 2020
    they're saying that expected the range to be reduced 20 miles from 240 to 220 miles. However, post downgrade to SR, the estimated range (battery icon) shows 209 miles.

i have the SR+ purchased a year ago. The estimated range on mine dropped just like others have reported. My lifetime efficiency is 211 wh/mi. I think the range estimate will go back up in the summer so I'm not worried.
  • edited March 2020
    xanadufl,

Why are posting the same info in multiple threads? The battery meter range is just an estimate that will be influenced by external factors such as temperature. It is not an indicator of battery health. If you are still concerned, then measure your battery capacity.

https://www.tesla.com/support/range
  • edited April 2020
    The rated range on my car has never been 240 miles at 100% charge. The maximum I have repeatedly gotten is 220. I purchased my SR+ based on the rated range of 240 which my car has never achieved to demonstrate. I bought two model 3 SR+ cars and both of the have the same problem. I have approached Tesla with my concerns for three months without any resolution. I feel cheated by Tesla and as a shareholder I have greater concerns. I planed on replacing my wife’s Lexus with a model Y, but after my model 3 SR+ experience I am not likely to purchase another Tesla.
  • edited April 2020
    Check to see if your car is set to Canadian miles.
  • edited April 2020
    Why does everyone think range is a fixed thing? I do think the EPA should adjust rated range for EVs down, to more accurately reflect real life. Charge to 100% and drive 35mph on the interstate for 240 miles. I bet you still have charge left. How many days a week are you having to charge (other than overnight) to make it through the day? I think Tesla should make that bar state range as 2.4 miles x battery %. Sure, it wouldn't be accurate, but it would be what people expect.
  • edited April 2020
    It is always about a number on the screen. I know a guy that is willing to pay $500 just to have the number changed. No change to the car or the actual range, just a change to the number.
  • edited April 2020
    sdew88 | April 3, 2020 I have approached Tesla with my concerns for three months without any resolution. I feel cheated by Tesla and as a shareholder I have greater concerns. I planed on replacing my wife’s Lexus with a model Y, but after my model 3 SR+ experience I am not likely to purchase another Tesla."

It seems most without the range they paid for have a sticker saying 220 mile range but purchased additional range of 240 but have no written contract from Tesla acknowledging the purchased ranged. Without something in writing Tesla can ignore the claims.

If you have something in writing, since the value is $4(?) you could go after Tesla in small claims court which typically goes up to $10k disputes. Tesla will have to respond or the judgemet is automatic. If nothing else get the $4k back.
  • edited April 2020
    - https://insideevs.com/news/407807/eletric-car-real-world-range-tested/

Sorry fishev, they didn’t test the taycan.
  • edited April 2020
    sdew88,

The rated range of your car is 240 miles regardless of what the battery meter estimate states. The rated range was established in independent testing by the EPA. The battery meter range is just an estimate that will be influenced by external factors like temperature. It is not an indicator of battery health.

• I just got my SR+ on Sep 30, just a month ago and I only charged to a 100% today for a long trip. I only got a 237miles reading for a full charge. Is this something Tesla can fix online? 2 days ago I called the service regarding another issue of battery drained so fast from 140miles when I slept and 50miles when I woke up.
  • Robert_4565,

Copy/paste of the previous post:

The rated range of your car is 240 miles regardless of what the battery meter estimate states. The rated range was established in independent testing by the EPA. The battery meter range is just an estimate that will be influenced by external factors like temperature. It is not an indicator of battery health.

• > @Robert_4565 said:
    > I just got my SR+ on Sep 30, just a month ago and I only charged to a 100% today for a long trip. I only got a 237miles reading for a full charge. Is this something Tesla can fix online? 2 days ago I called the service regarding another issue of battery drained so fast from 140miles when I slept and 50miles when I woke up. “

237 out of 240 is about right. They’ll always be a slight variation based on temperature which does constrict battery capacity when it gets cold.

That is also why you are seeing the overnight drain though loss of 90 miles is way too much drawing for 10 hours. I’ve lost 50 miles in 10 hours but that was in freezing temps. Cold weather takes about 25% of range.

If you have Sentry Mode on that will eat another 10-20 miles in 10 hours.

So if not plugged in the 90 mile range loss while on the high side would be explained by cold weather and Sentry Mode, hopefully that’s that’s the case.

If you are plugged in to the charger in your garage the whole time, then the losses would likely indicate a problem.
  • > @cLam said:
    > I picked up my M3 SR+ yesterday. when the time I pick it up, it has 3 miles on it and the battery charged to 90%. However, the range only show 196 miles. Based on 90% battery capacity at 196 miles, the full (100%) charge will only give me 220 mile range (this is the exact range for SR). I'm wondering whether Tesla had downgraded my range to SR or this is normal for all new M3 SR+? Anyone has the same experience?
    I just talk with service center and they said since 2019 after 14 months my standard range was 240 miles and now 2021 my battery is 220 miles , is really sucks , is not any software update can help me with that , so next year will be 20 miles less , so disappointed
  • Lewisrey,

The battery meter range is just an estimate that will be influenced by external factors such as temperature. It is not an indicator of battery health. You may just need to recalibrate the BMS to improve the accuracy of the range estimate.

Having said that, some degradation even early in the car’s life is normal and should be expected. However, degradation is not linear as you are assuming. Batteries degrade most early on and then stabilize.