Model 3

Model 3 w/11k miles getting 260 miles at 90% (Long Range AWD)

edited November -1 in Model 3
I have seen quite a few posts about reduced capacity but mine seems much lower than most so thought I'd check in here. Have any of you seen this type loss. I have a dual motor long range model 3 and it is now indicating only 260 miles when I charge to 90%, which is what I charge to every day. I've owned the car since the end of September 2018 and I have 11,171 miles on it (I drive it everywhere I love the car so much).

Questions:
- Is it normal to drop this much after only 11k miles over ~6 months of use?
- Is there an algorithm that monitors my driving habits and adjusts expected range accordingly? (I do have a lead foot so this could be the reason if true)
- Should I have the car & battery checked at a Tesla center to see if there is an issue?
- I live in So. California where the weather is very nice and does not get very cold nor does it rain often.
- I did drive the car to Winnemucca in Nevada in the Winter once time where it was well below freezing (Could the cold have caused the issue?)
- Has anyone else experienced range loss under similar circumstances/use?

Comments

• edited May 2019
    I have 8,100 on a LR AWD
    100% charge is 310 miles. I live in Chicago so it froze all winter.
  • edited May 2019
    I guess I should add as this is how you stated yours. At 90% I am at 279 miles.
  • edited May 2019
    Yep, same issues here. LR/AWD/19" Sports @ 9587 miles Firmware 2019.12.1.2

80% charges to 238 instead of 248
    90& charges to 268/270 instead of 279
    100% charges to 290/300 instead of 310

It used to charge up correctly & then lost capacity at the 6000 mile mark
    Charging to 100% then down to 8% and back up to 90/100 did not do anything

Service told me it's an expected loss. I did not expect a 1% loss at just 6000 miles
  • edited May 2019
    just to play devils advocate. Most ICE cars are rated at about 100k miles before you have major issues. So at 6k miles you have lost alot more than 1% of the cars life. Unless you think it will go 600k miles...
  • edited May 2019
    I'm in SoCal as well and driving is around 40miles/day. If this keeps dropping I don't expect the battery to last 100k miles. I use to charge to 90% once or twice a week since I don't drive all that much,
    Now I charge to 80% hoping to extend the battery life.

SC did say it was within expected range an I was covered under warranty. I hope their warranty is good.
    I know this is an estimation but it's troubling to see it yo-yo so much
  • edited November -1
    I charge to 90% every day even if I drove 10 miles the day before.
  • edited November -1
    you also need to learn to math better. How would your battery not last 100k miles?
  • edited May 2019
    I was told specifically by the Tesla SC not to charge every day due to limited amount of driving I was doing
  • JADJAD
    edited May 2019
    Not an issue, been asked and answered a hundred times. Battery will lose about 10-15 percent after several hundred thousand miles, with the most lost in the first few months.
  • edited May 2019
    Call/ email Tesla service help and ask them if it is normal? your car should have 310 miles @ 100%, and 279 miles at 90% approximately. Good luck and enjoy your car.
  • edited May 2019
    My LR RW still has 325 miles @ 100%. No reduction after 10K miles. Charging 1-2 times per week to 80-90%.
  • edited November -1
    I'm the same as Joshan, 279 @ 90%. 15618 miles on the odo of a LRDM. I always charge to 90%, never tried 100%.
  • I have the same numbers, I hate Tesla check it. out and they said looks fine, just a pack imbalance with the driving and algorithm.

Said to go down to 20-30% and go to 100, do not let sit at 100%, may take a few times. I think if I just charge to 100%, I think I will get some adjusting.

Charge everyday to 80%.

dual motor.
  • edited November -1
    LR AWD 17k miles, been charging to 80%, usually between 248 & 250 miles in the morning.

Side note, just got back from a week long trip, wife had parked in the garage with 170 miles and not plugging in. Went to plug it in this morning, was at 167 miles. 3 miles of phantom drain over five days. Color me impressed.
  • edited May 2019
    Thank you for the response everyone. Looks like it is all over the place, which tells me it is likely an algorithm that learns your driving style. I guess a good question to ask is how your tire wear correlates to range. I'm at 11k miles and my rear tires are almost ready to be replaced at 2/32 in left on the tread.
  • edited May 2019
    I charge to 80% every day and I'm at 232 rated miles. According to TeslaFi, my battery is 293 rated miles at 100%. It dropped on April 2nd from 303 to 295 the next day and down a little bit from there until where it's at today.
  • edited May 2019
    @petegajria as @minervo.florida, noted the "recalibration" can take several times from down to 20% and up to 100% to do anything. That's pretty well established. Some here say the whole recalibrating thing is bunk.

My LR RWD with 16k miles is still pretty much like it was the day we got it. I never really got any bump with the supposed update that added 5% to range. I saw maybe an additional 4 miles. I don't think it's showing any additional range now.

@WhiteModel3AWD 11k and needing new rear tires? Have you rotated them as recommended? Man, that's some hard driving. Someone posted here the other day that they ran into a traveling salesman with an M3 at Costco getting a first tire change at 65k. I don't expect mine to last that long, but at 16k I've got 7/32 left all the way around. I've rotated twice and I keep the tires at 45 psi cold.
  • Like gmr6415, my LR AWD has not changed in 8 months and nearly 11k miles, 90% charge coming in at 278 like it did last Oct. 100% charge gives me 306-308 reading, just like when I took delivery. While I wondered why I never could see 310, I have seen zero evidence of loss of capacity.
  • edited November -1
    I have 9300 miles on my M3 AWD LR. I got 278 reliably for the first 6 months and then after the 2018.8.5 release started getting about 2 miles less per charge. I am down to 264 this morning. I charge to 90% about 2-3 times a week and usually don't get below about 150 miles. I have had it as low as 35 miles on a trip and then Supercharged to 100% and still got the reduced amount.
  • I plug in every day, with the limit set at 90%. Approx. one morning a week I move the limit to 100% to get around 300+ miles showing prior to leaving on a long driving day. Most other days I drive around 30-50 miles.

I've only used a supercharger twice, but I really do not know that supercharger use figures into any of this....my charging is level 2 at home.

On those long driving days I can get down to 30-60 miles remaining, so perhaps that turns into a weekly algorithm reset?
  • edited May 2019
    Joshan
    "you also need to learn to math better. How would your battery not last 100k miles?"

Actually, his math can work out. He has lost 3% in 10k miles. That is 30% in 100k miles. That would qualify for a warranty replacement battery.
  • edited May 2019
    I check my battery report on Teslafi regularly and with 2019.8.4 I got a boost in range but with the last two firmware updates 2019.12.1 and 2019.16.2 this all disappeared again. This could be coincidence though.
  • edited May 2019
    I just wonder if this has to do with increased use of the Autopilot CPU? The newer releases use it in normal driving and I believe I remember hearing the power budget was 100w.
  • edited May 2019
    @mknewman, If I remember correctly it was stated during the autonomy day event that the new CPU (HW 3.0) uses less power than the prior HW 2.5 CPU. Maybe I have that backwards, but it would make sense that the simplicity of the new CPU, the minimal instruction set and the fact it is specifically designed to do what Tesla needs it to do would use less power than the OTC Nvidia CPU.