Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

How to Clean The Seats?

edited November -1 in Model 3
Being that the seats in the TESLA model 3 (premium interior) is not leather but according to the owners manual they are Polyurethane, what is the best way to clean and condition them to protect against UV damage? As i understand, polyurethane is more susceptible to UV damage compare to leather. Thank you

Comments

• edited May 2019
    I clean mine using a spray bottle with distilled water and then wipe them with a micro fiber cloth. I tried using a leather conditioner / UV protector, but did not work out. Left the seats wet as it did not absorb over night. Thankfully, it wiped right off.

Maybe so others owners have a product to use to protect them from UV, but you can always use a sun shade for the windshield or put a 70% film on the windshield.
  • edited May 2019
    Pretty sure leather seats are coated in polyurethane
  • edited May 2019
    I'd be shocked if leather actually does hold up better than polyurethane. My experience has been that even run of the mill vinyl is longer lasting, and requires way less maintenence.
  • edited May 2019
    Lbowroom is correct. For many years now, leather in car interiors have been coated which is the reason the interior does not have that nice rich leather smell. So using leather specific products is a waste of time and money. It’s like buying furniture “polish” that is marketed as nurturing and protecting the wood. Furniture is covered/sealed in polyurethane.

Back to the OP questions about cleaning the seats, just use any basic household cleaner you might use to clean your counters. If need be, use a soft bristled brush. I just did this on my leather seats in my MS.
  • edited November -1
    My butt just wipes it when I get in and out.
  • edited May 2019
    Idea: microfiber pants!
  • edited November -1
    Mild soap, water, damp microfiber. Wipe. Dry.
  • edited May 2019
    Haha, @billlake2000!
  • edited October 2019
    can't get the faint pen mark off the white vinyl seats in tesla s. any suggestions? tried everything.
  • edited October 2019
    Water works fine. These are the easiest seats to maintain - they deserve a lot more praise than they get.
  • M3DM3D
    edited October 2019
    I have been using damp Microfiber with ONR as I finish up the car to clean up the interior. This has mostly just been skin oils and smudges.
  • edited October 2019
    I use a lil drop of organic soap—Dr. Bronner’s—in a bowl/bucket so the microfiber cloth gets dunked and evenly dampens the towel which evens out the soap distribution on the towel.

Wipe clean then dry w/ another microfiber
  • edited October 2019
    Bulrich did you try with isopropyl? Not 100% sure but I think that's what the manual says to use?
  • edited October 2019
    Baby wipes
  • edited October 2019
    Unscented Baby wipes work great.
  • I just picked up my model 3 today and they told me to use baby wipes!
  • edited May 2020
    All the windows in my m3 are tinted to block 99% of the sun's UV

I use distilled water and soft cloth
  • edited May 2020
    These work well https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pledge-25-Wipes-Multi-Surface-All-Purpose-Cleaning-12-Pack-21462/204236291

I have also started to use https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-951-Automotive-Aquawax-oz/dp/B002W0YBWE since it works awesome on EVERYTHING - was afraid it might leave a film, but so far nothing noticable
  • edited May 2020
    In cleaning microfiber towel with mild soap or a soft brush always works. I just read the trick in this article toolazine.com/best-products-cleaning-car-interior/ Also, Not all garments containing Polyurethane are sensitive to commercial cleaning sometimes it's due to manufacturer's defect.
  • edited May 2020
    There are wipes designed for auto interiors. Baby wipes are aggressively pH imbalanced and will attack upholstery.
  • edited July 2020
    I clean my model 3 interior including seats with water and a tablespoon of Murphy's oil soap. Does an excellent jog
  • ? FOR DAVE99NEW. HOW MUCH WATER TO YOUR 1 TBLSP. OF MURPHY OIL ?
  • edited July 2020
    Terry cloth and plain water, I find the cotton better at cleaning and still soft enough to prevent marring I don't use any products for any part of the interior.