Model 3

No audio whatsoever

edited November -1 in Model 3
Got in my car today to find that no audio is working whatsoever (turn signals, music, etc) voice commands do not work. I tried soft reboot 10x, I tried power off, power off and wait, close out the app and back in. Call to service center accomplished nothing, still no audio. “Immersive sound” option also disappeared. Someone mentioned changing the EQ settings, did nothing.

Anyone else have this problem? Frustrating.

The other issue I’m having is my car never recognizes my phone anymore. I have to actually go onto my Tesla app and unlock it 9/10 times. Service center asked if I was on newest app update and I am. Anyone know how to fix that also?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Delete car from phone and phone from car. Change password via web. Delete and reinstall the app. Reboot car. Log into app and link it with car.
    That’s all I can suggest. It’s a shotgun blast but hopefully something helps.
  • edited May 2019
    Also, if you have a thumb drive installed try removing it and see if that clears up the audio after a 2thumb+brake reboot.
  • edited May 2019
    Yes. Happened to me few times already after 16.2 update.
    The only remedy is 12v reset, which means you disconnect 12v battery (-) terminal for 10-20 sec.
  • edited November -1
    @No42, That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone disconnecting the 12v battery for a reboot. I know I used to do the same in my ICE, but was that recommended by Tesla?
  • edited November -1
    That is how SC mitigated the audio issue for me. As of now I have done that procedure 2 more times as the issue is coming back.
  • edited May 2019
    @No42, thanks for that confirmation...good to know it's acceptable.
  • edited May 2019
    Update, so far the issue is happening to me every morning after 16.2 update. I am starting my day with 12v reset each morning. Now solution from SC yet :(
  • edited May 2019
    Fixed itself this morning when I got in the car, nothing else worked
  • edited May 2019
    A hard reset, in P, with foot on the brake, then hold down the two buttons on the steering wheel worked for me when I lost all audio.
  • edited November -1
    There may be a different issue now, with the newer update, but this used to happen to me pretty frequently. As crazy as it sounds, using the center screen to open and then close the charge port fixed it every single time with sound immediately returning. I also had no sound at all (blinkers, radio, warnings, etc) and resetting the car did not fix it, but for some reason toggling the charge port did. Give it a try and see if it still fixes the issue.
  • edited May 2019
    @No42 Do you do anything special before disconnecting the 12V battery negative terminal? Like go to Safety & Security -> Power down, wait awhile, etc? Wondering if this will fix my LTE issue - would like to try.
  • edited November -1
    @dwakelee, just disconnect the (-) terminal for 20 sec and put it back.
  • edited May 2019
    @No42 Thanks. I ended up a doing a little bit more than that just to be safe. There is a document online that details some steps for people working on the car and want power disconnected. It used to be public on Tesla service - now can be found here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-manual-disconnecting-12v-and-high-voltage-power.96736/

Basically, this is what I did...
    1) Open frunk
    2) Remove plastic shroud to uncover 12V battery
    3) Open drivers window
    4) Turn of climate control
    5) In Safety and Security screen, choose Power Off
    6) Wait for fans and things to stop (I also waited for the Frunk light to turn off)
    7) Remove negative battery lead, wait a couple minutes, reattach.

A little different than what the document says (and I didn't do any of the high-voltage disconnect stuff), but perhaps a bit better reset process than pulling the 12V battery while the computer may be still doing something.

Sadly for me it didn't fix my loss of LTE, so I await a new connectivity module and service appointment.
  • edited November -1
    I had that happen several times a while back and was very frustrating - a reboot using the scroll wheels didn't work. I found that shutting down the car all the way did - On the touchscreen - Click Safety & Security - Power Off - Wait 5 seconds and touch the brake to turn back on. That worked for me every time. I recommend calling Tesla Service - they sent me an update that fixed mine last year.
  • edited May 2019
    Well, happened again today. I tried the power off and that did nothing also. I tried the power off and wait a minute and that didn’t do it. Opening and closing the charge port didn’t do it either, neither did unplugging the USB.

I haven’t tried disconnecting the battery yet
  • edited May 2019
    Happened again this morning. Nothing worked but 12v disconnect.
  • cnkcnk
    edited July 2019
    Just had this happen on the road. Tried all suggested resets, phone, equalizer options to no avail. Stopped by the Scottsdale service center where they pulled off connector to main battery under left rear seat then disconnected 12v battery in Frunk. Left disconnected for 15 mins to ensure complete discharge. Reconnect under seat then 12v battery. Back on the road with all sounds working in 20 mins. Sweet. Kudos to staff for helping us out on the spot as we were traveling through town.
  • edited March 2020
    I have the exactly same issue. The Mobile Service guy come and he don't know why and can't fix either.
  • edited March 2020
    I have exactly the same issue. Mobile Service guy come and even he can't fix it. He said the hardware looks ok, he test everything all work but still can't fix it.
  • edited March 2020
    I have the exactly same issue. The Mobile Service guy come and he don't know why and can't fix either.
    [size=6pt]Veguspro[/size]
  • > @SteveWin1 said:
    > There may be a different issue now, with the newer update, but this used to happen to me pretty frequently. As crazy as it sounds, using the center screen to open and then close the charge port fixed it every single time with sound immediately returning. I also had no sound at all (blinkers, radio, warnings, etc) and resetting the car did not fix it, but for some reason toggling the charge port did. Give it a try and see if it still fixes the issue.

^^ This worked for me! Wasn't able to open it from the screen, but opened the chargeport from the mobile app and the audio came back instantly.
  • The sound thing happened to me this week as well. I just did the steering wheel reboot and it’s been fine ever since.
  • > @Kevinlien_98180930 said:
    > > @SteveWin1 said:
    > > There may be a different issue now, with the newer update, but this used to happen to me pretty frequently. As crazy as it sounds, using the center screen to open and then close the charge port fixed it every single time with sound immediately returning. I also had no sound at all (blinkers, radio, warnings, etc) and resetting the car did not fix it, but for some reason toggling the charge port did. Give it a try and see if it still fixes the issue.
    >
    > ^^ This worked for me! Wasn't able to open it from the screen, but opened the chargeport from the mobile app and the audio came back instantly.

This worked for me, just wow.
  • Ha! An Easter egg! Open charge port flap to get your sound back!