Model 3

NOA had a moving violation

edited November -1 in Model 3
My car was on NOA (Navigation On Autopilot) mode when I tried to pass bay bridge from Oakland to San Francisco on a Sunday. The car navigated to the bus only lane and I got a ticket. I suspect it's a bug in the software. Here is a video recorded by the dash cam:

Has anyone else had similar experiences? It would be nice if we can share the locations of such NOA traps so that we don't get tickets :-). Thanks.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Err... you should've grabbed the steering wheel and stopped the car from doing so? The car warns you with signal light before changing lanes. You have to pay attention on "autopilot" because "autopilot" should be called driver assist. I've had "autopilot" do some dangerous stuff before like panic stop for no reason, etc.
  • edited November -1
    Johnny Cochran still out there?
  • edited June 2019
    how much is the ticket $$?
  • edited June 2019
    I don't think Autopilot recognizes bus lanes.. A lane is a lane.

On your video i didn't see any buses but plenty of other cars passing by you

Were you the scapegoat that got pulled over?

Lucky that technology for law enforcement in the USA is 20 years behind, in my country every single driver would have gotten a fine with cameras
  • edited November -1
    Let me show you a picture of Chewbacca...
  • edited November -1
    That lane has variable uses and can be changed depending on conditions. Pretty much impossible for Nav On to determine when that lane is legal for use and when it is not. Interesting that so many cars were going by after you got pulled over. Did the designation of use change after you got pulled over?
  • edited June 2019
    You need to start lifting weights or something if the car can overpower you to drive in an illegal lane.
  • edited November -1
    What do you expect from automobile?
  • edited June 2019
    Also think you should have grabbed the wheel... Was driving with EAP the other day and noticed a motorcycle close behind me and a bridge with strong shadows coming up. First reaction was to immediately place my foot over the gas in case it tried to brake for the bridge. It didn't but, but you have to stay alert.
  • edited June 2019
    Your topic:
    NOA had a moving violation

Correct topic:
    I got a moving violation while using NOA

Doesn't NOA still require you to touch the wheel before it starts changing lanes? It sure does on my car, and I've never had trouble preventing it from making that lane change...
  • edited June 2019
    NOA will sometimes try and go into the HOV lane even though I have it set not to. Fortunately the display notification about a pending lane change, combined with the wheel vibrating and the turn signal coming on provide me with ample warnings so I can cancel before the car makes a change I don't agree with.
  • edited June 2019
    You realize you can’t take a nap while on NoA, right? You’re still driving the vehicle, so it’s your responsibility to pay attention to what lane you’re in. Incredible.
  • edited June 2019
    Its like when cruise control came out, and for some reason people interpreted holding your speed as driving the car. People who dont understand how things work will always not use them properly, and then internet articles will be plastered everywhere to make you think they're not safe when in reality the user is ignorant af.
  • edited June 2019
    I don't think the OP intended to blame anyone for the ticket. Clearly OP is asking to share locations where this might occur to help others avoid the same issue. Granted, paying attention is the best defense in this case.
  • edited June 2019
    Just another of the dozens of edge cases that may push true self-driving out for many years. One of my daily favorites is my gated community. The car’s Google maps have all of the community streets mapped and you can use navigation inside the gates. But try to navigate out of the community or from the outside into the community and navigation sends you on a bizarre tour.
  • edited June 2019
    Just another of the dozens of edge cases that may push true self-driving out for many years. One of my daily favorites is my gated community. The car’s Google maps have all of the community streets mapped and you can use navigation inside the gates. But try to navigate out of the community or from the outside into the community and navigation sends you on a bizarre tour.
  • edited June 2019
    M8B points out the use of this lane varies depending on conditions or time of day. This presents an interesting challenge for full autonomy. Two possible solutions, and there may well be more:

1) The car can read and understand the “Busses Only” sign above the lane, or whatever else it happens to display at the moment.
    2) All such changeable designations register their current state in the cloud somewhere that autonomous driving vehicles have access to, so the car can look up the current restrictions.
  • edited June 2019
    I say send the car to court!
  • edited November -1
    @CharleyBC I pick #2.
  • edited June 2019
    Seriously, WTF is a “busses only” lane all about? I understand the concept of HOV but don’t get the other.
  • edited June 2019
    Busses should have their own lanes, it is ridiculous how many of them tie up HOV lanes and don't pull over to let faster traffic go by.
  • edited June 2019
    Just pay off the ticket. It was your day to contribute.

You know very well that you would have entered the bus lane even without NOA. If there are no signs indicating that it is bus lane at the moment and you expect Tesla to tell you, you are not ready for the Beta feature.
  • edited June 2019
    Thanks everyone for the advice and sharing experiences. Normally I will take over if there is an impending danger. But for navigation, I assume the software has better knowledge than I do, because it can have all the regulations programmed. I have the hov option on. It has done an excellent job to use hov lanes so far, except this complicated bus/carpool share Lane. The lane can be used by carpool on weekdays only, which can confuse a lot of people, as you can see many cars passing by. I was from a different area. I had no idea about the lane unless I stop the car and read the signs first.
    I hope this is the only place in bay area that defies NOA.
  • edited June 2019
    @Will-SFbay Why were all the other cars passing by without being pulled over?

If it were me (plenty of time to stir shit) I would go to court and show the video and ask for an explanation why only some are singled out.
  • edited June 2019
    @Will-SFbay Please read the notes for NOAP. I clearly states it's not Fully Autonomous Driving and that your required to state alert and ready to take over in event that is outside the capabilities of the NOAP. A Lane whose function can change (in your case become Bus only Lane) would be outside the capabilities of NOAP.
    Pilot's have had AP for years, and fully understand that AP is not full self flying of aircraft. It's meant to take the strain off a bit during normal cruising of the plane. It just like the AP software on your car can't handle all situations, and there is times when a Pilot would be required to take manual control or change the heading in the system to account for the unexpected. The only real difference here, is pilots are required to take many hours of flight school before ever taking the control of an airplane. A car even an smart car like a Tesla has no such extensive training requirement before a driver can take the wheel.