Model X

Raven Refresh Acceleration Warning

edited November -1 in Model X
There is a statement only for Launch Mode for Insane/Insane+ or Ludicrous/Ludicrous+ mode to set the suspension to Low or Very Low with no explanation. The reason is the new suspension puts too much strain on the drive train because of the axle angles when the suspension is raised. The smoother ride comes a high cost to convenience and concern, especially when passing another vehicle or just having a little fun. My Model S P85DL obviously has a different suspension, but never had this problem, even after 74,300 miles. The loaner Signature Model X P90DL also did not exhibit this problem. In my judgment the engineers made a bad choice in the trade space in the new design, leaning too much toward a slightly smoother ride.

When I received my car at delivery, it was set to Standard, and there was no briefing or verbal warning about acceleration. From the first time I accelerated hard for 2 seconds (not even full Ludicrous mode and definitely not a launch) I noticed a vibration with only 8 miles on the car. As time went on I noticed it was there even with normal acceleration, and worst with stronger acceleration. The front axles were replaced. On a test drive the service tech broke a motor mount, which gives you a clue how serious this is. I received my car back with a verbal warning "from the engineers" to not accelerate hard uncles the suspension was set to Low or Very Low. This is expanded from the users manual procedure. To say I'm disappointed with Tesla, after owing a Roadster 2.5 and a performance Model S, is an understatement.

Comments

• edited November -1
    You have a Raven refresh X and you are also having the same shudder problem that the rest of us are experiencing? I thought the reason they changed the suspension was to FIX the problem with acceleration eating up axels? If true, this is NOT good news. Please verify above because if true! a class action might be needed to fix the acceleration problem. Comments?
  • edited November -1
    I started having shudder under hard acceleration in my S P85DL after about 30K miles.
  • edited July 2019
    I experienced acceleration shudder with less than 40 miles on the odometer. Mine is a 100D. But I really have to floor it from a stop. I usually drive conservatively and keep the acceleration low to moderate for efficiency so I don't notice it otherwise.
  • edited July 2019
    It is a 2019 Model X
  • edited January 7
    I had some shuddering on hard acceleration. I ask the service tech to drive it . He also felt the shudder and ordered new axels. I dropped my Raven Mx at service for 2 days and when drove it is still shuttered. I called them and they said they forgot to mention there was no need to fix anythink because it was a raven which did not have the problem and that I should drive it in Low. I anybody else have this problem with a raven. I receive Mx July 2019.
  • edited January 9
    I have the same problem with my 2019 Model X Raven Long Range. I feel/hear the shudder any time I accelerate heavy to pass a car or enter a highway. I mentioned the problem to Tesla Service when I brought it in for a different issue and they said that it was normal.
  • edited February 10
    I received my 2020 Model S Raven Long Range in December 2019. Almost immediately, I noticed a clicking/grinding noise coming from front left axle under hard acceleration. I took a Service tech for a ride in it and he confirmed it sounded like the CV joint.
    I have an upcoming appointment at the Vancouver Service centre this Wednesday (Feb 12), and they are going to replace the front left CV joint.
    Does anyone have any advice for me, as to what to expect? Or maybe what I should be asking for (or looking for)?

TIA...
  • edited February 11
    @wayneiac - "Does anyone have any advice for me, as to what to expect?"

Hopefully, no clicking after service makes the repair!
  • edited February 19
    Believe the biggest changes on the Raven X was the addition of new adaptive shocks. Don't believe they redesigned any of the other suspension parts.

Heard they now only allow full power with suspensions set on low. If you set to normal or high ride heights the torque will be automaticly reduced to protect the drive line from developing the unwanted shudder.
  • edited February 19
    I have a 2020 Model X LR and I too have a horrible shuttering from the from left wheel area on any kind of above average acceleration. It also clicks after starting from any stop, almost like there is a piece of metal hitting the spokes but only does 5-8 fast clicks and then will do it again right before coming to a stop.

I took it into service last week, they said it's a known issue with the raven suspension and 'our engineers are working on a fix.' I kept pushing on making sure there was nothing they can do, as honestly it is completely embarrassing sounding. From the loud clicking at every start/stop to the loud shuttering on any harder acceleration is absolutely ridiculous for a brand new $100k car. It's even more ridiculous they can't figure out how to fix it. I was told to check back every couple of months to see if there is a fix.

I think that's completely unacceptable and trying to figure out what to do - I love the car but it's a major issue when the wheel is shaking during acceleration.

Anyone else have success in forcing them to figure out a repair for this?
  • edited February 19
    @chris - Forcing a solution rarely works when there is no solution available. I think you'll have to wait until they understand the problem, engineer a solution, test and confirm the solution works, produce the parts in volume, write up a service bulletin on the correction and make it available. This cannot be not done overnight. I do expect they are working on it, but I have no idea where they may be on this timeline. A complex problem could take many months to solve.
  • edited November -1
    also have the shudder problem om a performance model S. front axles have already been replaced, after 1 week the shudder was back ... I hope they are working on a fix.
  • edited March 5
    Thanks God I am not the only one that has this vibration during acceleration! We should all write officially to Tesla scary for class action because it is UNACCEPTABLE this type of situation. I spent 126k euro and cannot accelerate deeply with standard level suspension. Even with low or very low mode I feel a bit of vibration. I am not feeling well driving this car and I am really disappointed. I hope Tesla can read this forum to understand how serious it is the issue. I brought mx to service and they said there is nothing at the moment to do. I can’t believe Tesla made such as mistake and develop suspension like this, this is very bad. My is raven mx from July 2019. From that period I already had crack noise problem coming from the roof which involved the dismantling and welding of this part to fix the problem. Service was made in two weeks. Elon listen to us!
  • edited March 5
    Good luck. You’ll need it.
  • edited March 12
    Update: I was impatient and pushed them to do figure out a fix. I showed up to Raleigh Tesla Service and they were ready with all the parts. They replaced the entire front axle and all associated joints and parts. It DID fix the problem, BUT, I've read many comments about the same fix happening but as soon as you have a hard acceleration on Standard suspension it starts happening again. The clicking and shuddering is gone for now, going to leave the car in Low suspension mode and be more cognizant of absolutely flooring it to hopefully prolong the fix until they release a full permanent fix to all Raven suspension owners. I'm happy they did what I asked and it seems to be temporarily fixed, not happy I can't use the car normal/fun or that they haven't prioritized updating Raven owners of a solution. Hoping Tesla comes through with one sometime this year.
  • edited March 16
    I'm surprised it took Tesla so long to get around to this. Norway is not exactly a small market for Tesla! https://www.tellsubway.website/