Model 3

$533.52 Michelin refund for original tires with 26k miles on model 3

edited November -1 in Model 3
I just got a check for $533.52 from Michelin for a warranty claim for the original tires Tesla put on my model 3 in 2018. The tires only had 25,936 miles on them.

To get the warranty claim I called the Michelin Consumer Care number 800-847-3435 and had to try a few menu combinations to get to a real rep. She had me give her some information about the tires and asked to get an official tire evaluation from a dealer. Since I just bought new tires at a Discount Tire in San Diego I had her call them and they gave her the details on the tread wear (around 3/32) and tire condition.

Just thought I'd pass this along since it was a much larger refund than I anticipated. The process was not easy and took at least 3-4 calls but in the end it was totally worth it.

Have to give Michelin credit for honoring their warranty, even if they don't make it easy.

Hope this helps someone else.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow. I need new tires too. Roughly same mileage. I didn’t think tires that were sold originally with car were warranted. My gut tells me you just started a glut of calls to Michelin’s customer service...
  • edited August 2019
    I've got the 20s. If I get 26k miles on them (as so far it seems will be the case), I'd consider it a win.
  • edited August 2019
    Great tip. I’ve got the same miles but a little more tread.
  • edited November -1
    Oh that brings up a good question op. What size tires did you have?
  • edited August 2019
    Good info... thanks
  • edited August 2019
    The tires were the original Michelin Primacy MXM4s with dimensions: 235 / 45 R18
  • edited August 2019
    What are they rated for that the refund was issued? Any idea from talking with the rep?
  • edited August 2019
    This may end up being the single most useful thread anyone could have posted. I’m guessing that you must replace them with Michelin’s in order to use the warranty right?
  • edited August 2019
    I understand Michelin terminated this program for oem tires in the last year or so. There was another thread on this topic and I had posted the exact date there, but can’t remember. Maybe someone who knows how to search the forum can look it up but the net was that my 20s from October ‘18 build would not be eligible. BH also had a view on this as far as I remember.
  • edited August 2019
    From what I remember I was Late April 2018 to pick up my car and I think I am eligible. But I thought they had to wear down completely. So if I get them to 2/32 I can fill out the form? The rears were 4/32 at 12000 miles a few months ago.
  • edited November -1
    I've done this 2 times now...on my 3rd set of discounted Michelins
  • edited August 2019
    I have done this by America's Tire.
    They rotate and automatically give discount.
    I replaced at 21K
  • edited August 2019
    @ST70 and @malliknamburi - have you had your OEM Michelin tires (that came WITH the car, not replacement tires) eligible for a refund? If so, can you post when your car purchased?
  • edited November -1
    This is excellent - thank you! My 3 has 26K miles and just barely passed state inspection with 3/32 on each tire. I'd love to get a bit of cash returned on what are the most expensive tires I've ever had on a car.
  • edited August 2019
    My car came with continentals?? I prefer Michelin wonder why they sell with different brands?
  • edited August 2019
    Here's my experience

Go to my post on September 21,2018 for info about claiming warranty. Other info on the thread is about general 18" tire wear and replacement

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/update-tire-replacement-research-primacy-mxm4-18-costco-tires-now-have-acoustic-tech
  • edited November -1
    @rsingh05- My P85DL was purchased in June 2015...I had my OEM tires replaced at Sears at 12K miles in 2017...they lasted around 12K miles and had them replaced again at Sears in Nov 2019...I've now got ~ 28K miles...so expect another 8K miles until the next replacement.
  • edited August 2019
    This may not work with the OEM Michelin Pilot 4 S's. Competition tire, DOT approved? Normally found on the P3D on delivery.

I'm still trying to verify
  • edited September 2019
    I took delivery of my LR RWD April 2018, and the car is reaching 20000 now. One pair of tires have 2/32 and the other is catching up.
    Have anyone been able to get Michelin warranty recently? TIA.
  • edited November -1
    @Jmeiley I'm guessing you have 19 inch wheels? Not sure if it's always the case, but what I noticed at my local dealership is all 18 inch had Michelin and all 19 inch had Continental. I personally hate Continental tires. Had a set on an Accord that weren't even round... that's their primary function - be round!! They were also noisy and had terrible wet traction.

Michelin every time for me. Appreciate the heads up on the warranty discount.
  • edited September 2019
    I just called Michelin. I had to choose the option at the beginning for a dealer to speak to a live person. I purchased my vehicle in June 2018 and it was delivered August 2018. The woman said there is no warranty for the OEM 18" Michelin tires but she did state to have the new tire dealer call them when I was getting the new tires on the car and that Michelin would offer some sort of discount if I purchased a new set of Michelin tires.
  • edited September 2019
    Friend just had his prorated. He has his car delivered September of last year.
  • edited September 2019
    @FutureRobot, thank you so much for this post. It was very informative and quite helpful.
  • edited October 2019
    @LikeEVs I called Michelin with front tires at 7/32 and rear at 3/32 at 20,000 miles. They offered me a discount on new set of tires.
  • edited October 2019
    I wen to Service Center today due to couple minor problems and Service advisor told that i have 4/32 rear and 6/32 front at 7600 Miles since March 20 2019.He told i can order new 2 tires for you and i said let me think about it.I was just shocked with this wear out in 6-7 months. I never go to long trip and only driving street which is likely %95 and 5% freeways. I live in Huntington Beach and drive mostly to Newport Beach and other area in Orange County. This wear out with 7600 miles is unacceptable. There’s something wrong!! I will talk tesla tomorrow and try to get evolution form.
    P.S: Costco advisor told me that tesla try to sell new tires to you.it is impossible wear out like this in 6-7 months with this mileage. Something is wrong.
    I have also toyota prius with Michelin tires and warranty is 65K miles.
    There’s two options : first tesla gave us the worst Michelin tires or those tires are really bad. There’s no other option to wear out with 7600 mileages. I’m so disappointed it.