Model 3

$533.52 Michelin refund for original tires with 26k miles on model 3

Comments

• edited October 2019
    Or... there's an alignment problem.
  • edited October 2019
    No,we test drive it and the guy told me no need wheel alignment. It’s pretty good.
  • edited October 2019
    My tires are down to 2/32" and 3/32" at 20k miles. Does anyone have experience with Costco trying to get the prorate discount from Michelin?
  • edited October 2019
    @LikeEVs,
    Here's the quick answer.
    You will have to share the invoice from Costco to Michelin warranty department + Costco tire folks have to call Michelin with the tread wear readings. You will receive a refund check in the mail.

Also, I had to try a few Costcos before someone kind agreed to take the trouble of calling Michelin warranty department. Costco tire departments are really busy, they're just not in a position to stay on the phone for 10-15 mins to help a customer with warranty claims.
  • edited October 2019
    Great info thanks. Just heads up for everyone. Did a road trip from Lake Tahoe . Just got my Model 3 really love it but caught a nail right in the middle of left rear tire just when I arrived in Wendover. It was a Sunday and called Tesla roadside service. They said they will bring a new tire from Salt lake City but it would take over two hours and they would charge me $750!!! Called a local shop (El Jefe's) and he got me a new tire for $200. It didn't have the foam but it works great. I never thought about looking for a spare (my bad) so I inquired about getting one . Very expensive and it would take up most of the space in the rear trunk. My question do you think Michelin would honor that since I only had 2500 miles on it?
  • edited October 2019
    Worth giving them a call. I got that done on a tire that I can't remember who made it, but for good will reasons, they refunded me a pretty decent amount.
  • edited October 2019
    I don't think they warranty road hazards for OEM tires. Wear warranty, yes. Nails? Nope.
  • edited October 2019
    @tnttd9- why didn't you just put a plug in it and be on your way?
  • edited October 2019
    @tnttd9 I carry a small air compressor and a plug kit for this scenarios. Most tires with nails can get you to your next destination if you keep inflating it.
  • edited October 2019
    Discount Tire called Michelin and got me an instant rebate (charge back on my credit card). It was only for two of the tires because the fronts had 1/32” to go before they would start to prorate. It came to $160 which I felt was fair.
    Front tires measured 3/32 and rear was 2/32.

For what it’s worth, I replaced the OEMs with Michelin PilotSport A/S 3+ and am quite happy with them. They seem as quiet as the originals. I can’t give a definitive answer about range difference as we have been driving with a loaded down car in many different conditions since installing them.
  • edited October 2019
    @walnotr - do you have 18" or 20"wheels?
  • edited October 2019
    I also got over $300 at Discount Tires for 3 of my original tires. My 4th was shredded by nails so not covered.
  • edited October 2019
    Discount tire told me that the credit would only be good if I got another set of Michelin's
  • edited November 2019
    Just dropped my 3 off at Tesla to install and balance new tires, plus an alignment. My original Michelins had 29,400 miles and from the Tesla lobby, I called Michelin and managed a 25% rebate off the price of my new tires. The Primacy MXM4 235/45R-18 tires are rated at 45,000 miles - I was at 29,400 so they gave me a $325 refund, which I'll receive in 4-6 weeks.

All Tesla had to do was measure the tread on the existing tires and speak with the Micheline rep. The entire process took 15 minutes.
  • edited November 2019
    @walnotr, I replaced my MXM4s with the Pilot A/S 3+ late this spring after 30,000 miles or so. I saw an immediate hit on consumption: 371Wh/mile vs the lifetime (with MXM4s) of 341Wh/mile.

Over time, that delta has narrowed somewhat, where the last 14,000 miles on the Pilots has been getting 359Wh/mi.

Effect is also noticeable in an app like TeslaFi, which showed an immediate hit from most of my commutes at 89-93% efficiency (actual/rated) down to the low 80s and high 70s. That has clearly improved with the wearing in of the Pilots.

My next set, however, will be LRRs like the MXMs or maybe Nokians.
  • edited November 2019
    Glad I saw this thread. I have only 3/32" front and rear on 18" MXM4's with 16.5K miles, Sep 2018 purchase. Getting Michelin CrossClimate+ tires put on by Discount Tire next week. I think I'll give Michelin a call...
  • edited November 2019
    @rxlawdude here are the stats for our road trip with 4821 miles on the Pilot A/S 3+ tires.

1303 kWh used
    270 Wh/mi average
    Lifetime average was 250 Wh/mi before trip, currently at 252 Wh/mi after the trip.

Obviously not really a definitive test as the road trip encountered a variety of driving conditions, front and back trunks full, as well as more aggressive driving by not worrying about range.

First impression with the new tires was that there is a definite hit to range with these. I’ll reset the trip meter and see what I get over the next 500 or so miles. Overall quite happy with them but don’t think I’ll see 240Wh/mi anytime soon.

08/18 LR RWD 27K miles
  • edited November 2019
    Just called Michelin

My tires are 3 at 10 000 miles
  • edited November 2019
    @Maxxer, don't leave us hanging, what did Michelin say they'll do for you?
  • edited January 7
    I have 23K on mine (RWD). Two of my tires were in the red (2/32) and the other 2 were yellow. I called Michelin but they just told me to go to an authorized dealer and the dealer could call them. I admit that Discount Tire at first told me OEM tires were not warrantied but I just insisted that Michelin told me that but that they would give a "good will" discount (which was true). He called them and ended up crediting me $500 for 4 new tires.
  • edited January 7
    @Ama_John, good for you - way to persist. I used Discount Tire too. The first guy I talked with tried to convince me that my treadwear (even 2 mm front and back at 16.5K) was due to lack of rotating and wouldn't be covered under warranty (I had rotated once at 7500 miles). I persisted, the second guy was very helpful. Fast forward 6 weeks, Michelin told me yesterday that my check was in the mail, atlhough they wouldn't tell me how much it would be. Anxiously waiting to find out.
  • edited January 7
    Is there any way to lock this thread as a sticky post to the top of the list so it doesn't get lost?
    I know there's a search feature, but I might not even remember about this topic when it's time to get new tires
  • edited November -1
    @coselectric, in the salesman's defense, he didn't really resist calling Michelin but I think was trying to lower my expectation. I was there when he called and he was clear to them that I had already called Michelin and was told there would be good will.
  • edited January 17
    Thank to this thread for literally saving me over $600 today. I just went to America's tire, asked them if they could contact Michelin so I could claim a warranty. They didn't even have to call and applied a discount right away ($171 per tire). I didn't have to provide any other info. The salesman told me they were sending back warranty tires directly to Michelin.
    Thanks again.