General

Porsche Taycan Reviews

edited November -1 in General
Looks like the Taycan information embargo is over:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-porsches-new-electric-car/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28899036/2020-porsche-taycan-photos-info/
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-porsche-taycan-electric-car-range-interior/

Love it or hate it, it's a well-executed EV with a lot of buzz around it. IMHO, if there were a real charging network for it, it would be a huge success.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Looks pretty sick on the interior. Im a person that likes alot of that cool futuristic stuff. Im definitely one that wanted the instrument panel to stay behind the steering wheel in M3. The range though.....
  • edited September 2019
    This is like Teslas first roadster. They'll reach 300 miles "soon"™
  • edited September 2019
    Some interesting points:
    - Coefficient of Drag (Cd) of 0.22 - which is excellent, besting the Model 3 at 0.23
    - Estimated range of 240 Miles (EPA, Motor Trend) from a 93 kWh battery indicates an inefficient drivetrain given the excellent aerodynamic performance. I'll be interested in future analyses here.
    - It plays electric motor whine through the speakers. Seriously, this is a "feature".
    - An 800V charger will add 75% charge (5% to 80%) in a bit over 22 minutes.
    - 3 second 0-60 in the Turbo, 2.6 seconds in the Turbo S
    - Weighs 5100 pounds
    - 484 800V / 350 KW chargers from Electrify America should be online by the end of the year, in addition to 189 at Porsche dealerships. No word if the Dealership chargers will be available after-hours.
    - Turbo starts at $150,900 before options; The Turbo S at $185,000. Note that it has $7500 US EV tax credits available.

-
  • edited September 2019
    And, in a purely personal opinion, the drooping eyelids at the outer edges of the headlights and the downturned mouth of a grill make it look like it's feeling sad.
  • edited September 2019
    @Frank, no wonder it's sad. It's a sad excuse for a "Tesla Killer." And hopefully Porsche's parent company doesn't cheat on any materials or specs that will sour the public on BEVs.
  • edited November -1
    270 kW max charging per the Porsche PowerPoint presentation.
  • edited September 2019
    And don't forget the Taycan has hundreds of cryptic buttons for those that love them!
  • edited September 2019
    Front and rear looked OK and Porsche like but the side profile looked like some American muscle car designer designed it.
  • I think it looks great with the white rims. Now as for the interior, wayyyyyy too busy due to too many screens. Also a screen, in the center console, at an angel is a dumb idea because of sun glare, plus it makes it too susceptible to ruined by spilling a drink on it.
  • edited September 2019
    I’ve seen it in person on the road a few times now... all blacked out it looks awesome. It has that traditional Porsche design language so from a distance or quick glance you it could pass for Panamera or 911. I see this as a great car from a great manufacturer. The best feature is that it will compel Tesla to improve and innovate more. Especially cabin noise and interiors. I’m sure Tesla will update the exterior but hopefully not dramatically so. Porsche has managed to retain its design language for decades, Tesla is iconic enough to do the same. I’m torn on the interior. Tesla could definitely learn a lot with regard to quality, fit and finish. But I hope they don’t lose the iOS like simplicity and ease of use from the current version by adding things just for the sake of it. If they add things hopefully it’s a HUD or things that are meaningful. Very good times for high end EVs!
  • edited November -1
    "Especially cabin noise and interiors.

Seriously? Porsche is pumping sounds into the cabin!
  • edited November -1
    Can't wait to see the Turbo S and Performance S race at the 1/4 mile!
  • edited September 2019
    Good to see the tire pressure monitor is front and center on the drivers display. Because that information is critical.
  • edited September 2019
    @RX yes... There's a difference between unintentional rattles, road and wind noise vs intentional audio to enhance the driving experience. The Porsche is more oriented for what I’ll call “EV GT” driving so the audio is a feature. I still think Tesla is a better everyday luxury car due to Autopilot, price, room, cargo space and of course an actual Supercharger network. For those reasons if I had to pick I wouldn’t give up my 2015 P90D for a Taycan. But when compared to my pre-AP 2013 P85+ I’d take Taycan especially since back then Superchargers weren’t as widely available.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, it's almost as fast as my Model S! Seats almost as many people too. And it has almost as much range (as my pre-Raven S). Storage capacity, not so much, but who's counting? And one day there will be almost as many charging stations!

Maybe that should be their slogan - almost as good as a Tesla!

Only twice the price.
  • edited November -1
    @Mad it’s not a direct competitor to Model S. The cars have some overlapping capabilities but they specialize in different things. Taycan is a boutique sports car, an exclusive big boy toy built in small numbers, for people who also or may like doing track days. This is what Porsche is good at. But it can be a daily driver. Model S is a mass market luxury sedan that specializes in being an everyday driver that can rival or beat sports cars in some categories.
  • edited November -1
    It's a start. Long way to go. Need Japanese automaker
    to introduce fully electric car.

It was depressing walking from my parking garage into work.
    Drop in the bucket as far as EV's here in TX. Need electric
    pickup / van now instead of these expensive high end luxury
    cars. Need millions sold instead of thousands.
  • edited September 2019
    @nwfan that would be good... I recall the Japanese being more supportive of hydrogen cars. Oil is a strategic vulnerability for Japan. Moving away from fossil fueled cars could free up oil for more urgent energy dense needs in their case. Considering that hydrogen for them has a good use case.
  • edited September 2019
    @nwfan - We already do have a very successful EV from a Japanese automaker (Nissan Leaf).
  • edited September 2019
    A twitter account was showing the interior, and HORRIBLE lag from the touch screens in the Taycan. Apparently the Germans are no match for Silicon Valley.
  • edited September 2019
    That lag was horrifying. But almost better than all the f’ing clocks.
  • edited November -1
    I like my German-built smart TV, tablet, smart phone, with custom coding! Move over Silicon Valley!
  • edited September 2019
    @parichey, 62 kWh version of the Leaf I agree. The early versions were
    limited by battery size and lack of thermal management. Doubtful
    anyone could be a single Leaf home.
  • edited September 2019
    I applaud Porsche and personally think Taycan is great looking car. It appears well built and will only get better. Good to see that Tesla is not the only game in town and we'll soon have many other choices besides the quirky Musk brand