General

Comments

• edited September 2019
    Couldnt read article because requires a subscription. But they'll hate every generation prior to theirs when they find out that they did NOTHING when they knew EVERYTHING that was going to happen as a result of doing NOTHING.
  • edited November -1
    they should
  • edited November -1
    Hate is a strong word, more like parents are "stupid".
  • edited November -1
    I like to think of it like this. When our grandchildren are 18-20 years old and the quality of life is drastically lower with a 'perfect weather day' occurring rarely. Disastrous weather events such as heat waves, cold spikes, snowstorms, 'bomb-out' winter storms, nor'easters, tornadoes, hurricanes, river flooding, general flooding, receding coastline, drought. How many did i miss?

Maybe they might be a little pissed about how life is very difficult to endure compared to today. What might piss them off is finding out that we could have prevented it knowingly ignoring the truth about the consequences of doing nothing for an entire century. Ya, if i found that out i'd probably be a little pissed too.

This is not even accounting for potential famine, crop growth reductions, air pollution, soil and water contamination that has been ongoing for decades. I'd probably die from the air quality if i lived in places like Beijing or Los Angeles.
  • edited November -1
    Climate change mass migration has already started.
    Its only going to get worse
  • edited September 2019
    HazMat suits are on sale at Walmart. Perfect stocking stuffer for the little brats.
  • edited September 2019
    Maybe this year i will get a gas mask!
  • edited November -1
    Yes.
  • edited September 2019
    My kids love me and my car. I'm not a Boomer.
  • edited September 2019
    Society adapts to change. Would you have rather lived 100 years ago when people rode horses, mail was delivered by pony express, you risked your life trying to cross the Atlantic on a ocean liner, and airplanes hadnt been invented. And neither was air conditioning, and you had to chop wood all day to keep your fireplace going during the winter and hope the candles you used for light didnt burn down your house. And if you lived to be 60 you were lucky.

Its also hypocritical to worry about the future for your kids since most climate change people believe increases in population are the main reason for climate change. My gas guzzler does less harm to the environment than the tons of garbage that 2 or 3 offspring will produce over their lifetimes.
  • edited September 2019
    Garbage is probably the most significant thing affecting the environment right next to greenhouse gasses. Also no one really pays much attention to Methane being orders of magnitude more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2. Keep fracking though!
  • edited September 2019
    @Tesla2018. Society does adapt to change. But why create horrible crap and then have to adapt. Flood the coastal cities and move everyone to the mountains???
  • edited September 2019
    @Tesla2018 "My gas guzzler does less harm to the environment than the tons of garbage that 2 or 3 offspring will produce over their lifetimes."

That still doesn't justify keeping the gas guzzler. If you are able to make a change, however large or small, to benefit the planet, one should feel compelled to do so for the sake of our children.
  • edited September 2019
    No justification. But its much easier to reduce waste than it is to pull tens of thousands of dollars out of your pocket for a new car that you dont need. There is a trickle-down effect of reducing waste and reducing oil demand. Both are highly significant in large numbers.
  • edited September 2019
    You need to do both.
  • edited September 2019
    Tabasco

“That still doesn't justify keeping the gas guzzler. ”

Logical. And incomprehensible as a concept to Mr. Tesla2018.
  • edited November -1
    +1 @SCC
  • edited September 2019
    @Tesla2018

Shouldn't you be off somewhere getting your a$$ kicked for yelling at someone's baby?
  • edited September 2019
    On the bright side, it seems @Tesla2018 won't be procreating.
  • edited September 2019
    Well, there's at least that....
  • edited September 2019
    I commuted on my bike 20 years
    Bought a Tesla when I had to work south shore
    Went Vegan to limit Methane emissions coming from feeding the cows that go in my plates
    Always buy local vegetables and fruits
    I am the most extremist reuser, 10 years training on the same road bicycle, 5 years on my iPhone 6 Plus, etc.
  • edited November -1
    They will have plenty of people to hate more than me.
  • edited September 2019
    ahah the topic is great!
  • edited September 2019
    @aaaaannestone - A copy and paste bot getting ready to spam (it hit many threads this morning). Flag away.
  • edited September 2019
    Greta Thunberg had some justifiably harsh words to World Leaders at the UN Climate Conference today.

"Teen environmental activist Greta Thunberg delivered an emotional and scathing speech at the United Nations on Monday, accusing world leaders of stealing her dreams and her childhood with their inaction on climate change.
    "I shouldn't be up here. I should be back at school on the other side of the ocean," the 16-year-old from Sweden told the United Nations Climate Action Summit. "Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you! You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words."

Thunberg slammed the members of the U.N. for caring more about money and "fairytales of eternal economic growth" than collapsing ecosystems, mass extinctions and people suffering due to climate change."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/teen-climate-activist-greta-thunberg-delivers-scathing-speech-u-n-n1057621