General

Daytime Running Lights - Rear

I am a proud new Model 3 owner, and I have a suggestion for improvement regarding the daytime running lights (DRL).

My lights are set to “Auto”. At daylight, the lights automatically turn off and the daytime running lights in the front turn on. However, the rear lights are turned off while DRL is active.

In my opinion, it would be safer that in daylight, both the front and the rear lights are on (like, for example, is the standard setting on all Volvo’s).

Please add an option to turn the rear lights ON while DRL is active.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Brake lights are important all the time. Rear lights during daylight, not so much.
  • edited November -1
    From what I’ve read, there’s no evidence that rear daytime running lights improves safety, so that’s probably why few automakers offer them. If Tesla ever decided to offer rear DRL, they would probably want to use lower power bulbs than the ones used for the regular rear lights.

By the way, do you realize that this forum is for Tesla owners and enthusiasts, and Tesla doesn’t officially pay attention to anything posted here?
  • edited September 2019
    What would be more effective is rear red fog lights. In the fog is when you need to be seen the most by those behind you.
  • edited September 2019
    Jordanrichard. European cars have to have one rear fog light. Not sure if the Euro cars have the same taillights as the US.
    I got euro tail lights and wiring for my other car and redid the wiring hooking it up to the front foglights and added the switch that wasnt on American cars so that I could have them. Also wired it so all 4 tailights light up instead of 2 so it has better visability. Had to replace the regular bulbs with LEDs to prevent blowing a fuse from having too many amps and get an adjustable LED flasher relay. Someone will probably make an aftermarket kit for Teslas in the future.

Would be nice if we could have ours be sequential like on the newer Mustangs.
  • edited September 2019
    I've found that the Auto headlights turn on rather quickly in tunnels, etc, so the tail lights come on in those situations when they are most valuable.

I, too, wish the rear fog light was active in the US. OTOH, I think too many people use fog lights in clear weather as auxiliary headlights to compensate for bad headlights, so the rear fog may not work so well here. OTOOH, the headlights on my Model 3 are very good, so I don't really need the fog lights in normal weather...
  • edited June 5
    Totally agree, would live to have this feature. Couple of other car makers have this and it makes their cars much more visible in many conditions where the full light does not yet switch on.
  • edited November -1
    @jrweiss - I'm about 98% sure rear fog lights are not legal in the USA. I'm not aware of any car maker that offers rear fog lights for cars in the USA. I can see it makes sense, but our USA regulatory process is loath to make any changes.

@phil - Do you know which brands/models include rear fog lights in the USA? I wonder if you're looking at a rare European car that someone imported - i.e. not made for the USA market. I think manufacturers are also allowed to import a tiny number like 25 cars of a non-USA spec car, but I could be wrong about this.
  • edited June 5
    I've never heard of rear fog lights before and it get's pretty foggy here on occasion. On a somewhat related note, wreckers and snowplows can have rear facing spotlights but I believe they have to be wired so that they only come on when the vehicle is in reverse gear.
  • edited June 6
    Orphic Nutrition have developed a formula that unlocks the extraordinary potential of pure Garcinia Cambogia Extract with just the right amount of HCA to enhance it.

https://orphicnutrition.com/products/garcinia-cambogia-hca-95-90-caps