Model 3

Car suddenly brakes in Autopilot

edited November -1 in Model 3
I have had a few instances when the car suddenly brakes when in autopilot. I will be cruising around 70 MPH and it suddenly brakes to about 50 MPH without any obstacle or car in the front. Does this happen with anyone else? It is pretty dangerous and I am lucky not to be rear-ended.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Are you in a construction zone or area where maps are off because of construction? I’ve only had it do this to me in a construction laden area where maps get wonky because of the changes. I learned my lesson quickly.
  • edited October 2019
    I think the frequency of phantom braking is much higher now with V10. I only witnessed it a few times previously, but I've seen it a lot the last few days. Now I have also been using EAP more lately. My commute is on 40mph surface streets and I never liked the slow acceleration from a start before. That has improved greatly (though there is still too much lag from the time the car in front starts moving before it does), so I've been using it a lot more.
  • edited November -1
    @82bert - No, not a construction zone. I never use Autopilot in those areas. It was a normal freeway.
  • edited October 2019
    No, but it did once on a regular street at 40 mph, braking and slowing to 25 :(
    Luckily not rear ended :)
  • edited October 2019
    @effopec. I’ve had zero phantom braking since v10. Odd you’re having the opposite experience.
  • edited November -1
    When this happens, I encourage you to file a bug report. Hit the right thumb-wheel button and say "bug report, phantom breaking". Sometime I accidentally report Santa Breaking... ;-)
  • edited October 2019
    Phantom breaking? Shocking. I think sometimes it sees a shadow (maybe a bridge overhead or something) and thinks it's an object in front of you.
  • edited November -1
    As Halloween approaches, expect to experience more reports of phantom braking....
  • edited October 2019
    @OC.M3 - come to think of it, I believe this has always happened near overhead bridges.. interesting.
  • edited October 2019
    82bert | October 1, 2019
    @effopec. I’ve had zero phantom braking since v10. Odd you’re having the opposite experience.

NOT REALLY! Everyones drive is different.
  • edited October 2019
    I've experienced this as well. However, I think the "sudden" part, the "dangerous" part, and that "we're lucky not to get rear ended" part is grossly exaggerated.
  • edited October 2019
    NOT REALLY! Everyone's expectation of safety is different.
  • edited November -1
    NOT REALLY!

Just wanted to join in on the fun and excitement.
  • edited November -1
    How could you not resist?
  • edited November -1
    No spooky brakes for me. None for many months.
  • edited November -1
    I've noticed that there are certain areas where AP will brake even though it's free and clear. I've gotten to know them and plan around them - it's consistent. For areas that I am not familiar with, it is a little disheartening at times, but that's why you're told to keep your hands on the wheel and be alert even if AP is active. I find myself accelerating manually at times to avoid just such issues that may be encountered by unexpected braking, like being rear ended.
  • edited October 2019
    @Switchmon - you're not alone this latest set of releases has made AP very hard to enjoy. I have another thread going explaining my experience with v10.

AP seems more confused now.
  • edited November -1
    Random braking continues to be a problem for the Model 3. You can’t even predict when it’s going to slam on the brakes (or release the Kraken...err....regen). It will see traffic safely in their lanes as a threat and hit the brakes. It will see people in merge lanes 100 yards to your direct right without right of way but the Model 3 buzzing along in the right lane at 75 mph will BRAKE. The oddest one is when passing, clear lane on left, in cruise, turn signal pull out and the Tesla brakes, slightly but incorrectly for no good reason.

But look in the bright side, AP might be a hot mess but we have MORE GAMES!!!
  • edited October 2019
    I could not disagree more with both of you.
  • edited October 2019
    We don’t have more games?
  • edited October 2019
    I have had this experience on a new bridge, where the speed limit below was 45 and the speed limit on the freeway was 65... I also happens during merging...
  • edited October 2019
    So no one has been rear ended during this “rapid“ braking? How does someone’s expectation translate this into dangerous?
  • edited October 2019
    this happens to me almost every time I use autopilot. Sometimes with cars next to me, sometimes with an overhead object (bridge, toll reader, etc), sometimes in wide open space. All I can say is be careful drinking coffee while on autopilot.
  • edited November -1
    Ok, spilling coffee can be dangerous
  • edited October 2019
    I have not had phantom braking for a while, but I have had more cancelled lane changes recently for not apparent reason.