Model 3

Supercharger - unable to add payment method

Ever since we got our Model 3, I have been unable to add a payment method to use when supercharging. Every time I try to add a card, the webpage shows an error: “unable to save payment method” without showing any way to fix my information. I am afraid that soon enough I won’t be able to use Superchargers because I will have so much owing on my account.

Anyone with the same issue or a fix?

Comments

• edited November -1
    “Ever since.. every time”

Just contact Tesla ? Have you done that before posting on here ?
  • Two weeks ago I rang support and was told it was a temporary issue.

I have tried many times to see if was fixed between then and now, without success. Thus I am asking if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.
  • edited October 2019
    @robertmarkbram, Have you tried using a different web browser? Have you tried making sure that your browser allows cookies for the Tesla web site? Have you tried making sure you don't have a pop-up blocker or an ad blocker set in your browser for the Tesla web site?

Try deleting your web browser history and clearing the cache.
  • Multiple browsers, multiple machines, phone and desktop, everything except reformatting. No good.
  • edited October 2019
    Time to call Tesla.
  • Spoke to Tesla Support this morning. It is a known issue affecting many people apparently. Still no fix yet. We can still use the Superchargers and fees for that will continue to accrue on our account.
  • edited October 2019
    I experienced this as well, but after many tries over a period of several weeks it finally accepted my new card. It took several weeks after that before they finally charged me for my unpaid Supercharger sessions.
  • edited October 2019
    I experienced this as well, but after many tries over a period of several weeks it finally accepted my new card. It took several weeks after that before they finally charged me for my unpaid Supercharger sessions.
  • edited November -1
    Just continue to use the superchargers. I'm sure that they will eventually find you and add the accrual to your account, and then beg you to add a credit card to the account details. Just consider it an interest-free loan for "fueling-up" your car.
  • Resolved - I was able to add a payment method today after Tesla contacted me to say they resolved the issue.
  • edited November -1
    I just pay cash when super charging. Much more clean that way
  • edited July 23
    I'm having a similar problem with my model 3, but it's not exactly the same. Here's what's happening to me: Starting with last weekend (after I successfully used a Supercharger in Osage Beach, MO) I get a message that says "Supercharging unavailable - Add payment method from charging screen". The charging screen has a "PAYMENT METHOD REQUIRED >" button that does precisely nothing when I tap it (same goes for the ! mark next to the button). Now, anytime I plug in to a supercharger, it will charge for a minute or two and then it stops charging and displays the error above.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Anyone know how to fix it?
  • edited July 23
    After a little wait, and with the help of Tesla's Support Online Chat (thanks @Landy!) I was able to figure out the (not-so-intuitive) solution to my "Supercharging unavailable" problem. I also learned of a complicating factor that I was not aware of in my previous post: The "5,000 free super-charger miles" that I got when I bought the car a year ago (and had used a small handful of times since then), had just expired a few days ago. Perhaps this left my account in some sort of weird limbo-state...

Anyhow, here's how to fix the annoying "Supercharging unavailable" message:
    1) Log in to your Tesla account on your computer.
    2) Click "History" and see if there are outstanding charges.
    3) Use the blue button to pay any outstanding charges ($11.88 in my case), and, voila the annoying error message is gone the next time you get in your Tesla.

In case there are any Tesla designers watching, here is some feedback on how to make your software and website better. I'll try to be constructive (but there's probably a little venting mixed in, here):
    * Why tell the user they can "Add payment method from charging screen" when they can't?
    * Why hide the outstanding balance behind the "History" portion of the Tesla account? (If the product's functionality is crippled due to an outstanding balance, shouldn't that be the first thing the user sees when logging in to his/her account?)
    * Why not charge my credit card that you already had on file (for Premium Connectivity) for the Supercharging? Or, at least give that too me as an option from w/in the car or mobile app?
    * Why cut off the ability to supercharge without giving a very clear path to fixing the problem? (You almost left me stranded in a small town in Missouri.)
    * Why have a sticker on the supercharger stations that says "call this phone number if you encounter problems" and not put a phone number on it? (The charging station in Osage Beach, MO had no phone numbers...)

To end on a positive note: I do love my Model 3--it's a blast to drive!
  • @montira thank you. We are having the same problem on our Model S. However I can't find my History in my Tesla app. What number did you use to contact Tesla?
  • edited November -1
    History is only available on your web account, not the app.
  • Same for me... I got the message saying "Supercharging Access Blocked" because of unpaid fees... Turns out, all the sudden, Tesla wouldn't charge my card getting "There was an error trying to process your payment."

Tried after adding a new card, no luck
    Tried a different browser, no luck
    Tried calling support, closed on weekends
  • I was surprised when my supercharging was interrupted. The button on screen was no help at all. Pressing it was an exercise in futility. Tried calling Tesla. No one there on weekends. Tried calling roadside assistance, but my problem was not an emergency. No one to talk to. Finally got to the tesla account on my computer. It turned out i had unpaid charges. I had assumed i was either going to get invoiced or pay using credit card on file. Neither had happened. I added a payment method and paid outstanding balance, but message on screen is still there. Tried ALL rebooting options. NOTHING. I am currently 105 miles away from supercharger with 120 miles on my battery. I dont even know if i can charge when i get there. And it is the weekend, so no one can help. If i cannot go further, i have to have the car towed some 90 miles to Portland. I love my Model S more than my children (kidding), but Tesla service is so awful. I really wish that was not the case.
  • I read the same thing about unpaid charges prevent payment method from being updated. I think you have to view the charge history in a browser and pay the fees first.
  • Update, i did make to a supercharger. I was unable to charge. This was yesterday (Sunday). Only choice left was to call road side choosing that was not exactly true to just get to a person. When i did, i was told that, as support was unavailable on Sunday, i could find a slow charger (translation, about 7 hours of charging needed before i could start my trip home) or have the car towed home at my expense. I found a hotel near a slow charger and spend the night.
  • Do u see your car on account? If u have 2 Tesla accounts, u can’t add to wrong email (wrong account)?
  • > @httran26_98044645 said:
    > I read the same thing about unpaid charges prevent payment method from being updated. I think you have to view the charge history in a browser and pay the fees first.

Correct, I actually just did this today as my card had expired.
  • Agree with Joshan. See:

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/175231/no-tech-support-outside-m-f

I had successfully added payment method but couldn’t charge. I had to get old lingering unpaid dealt with first....
  • I too was locked out of supercharging due to an expired card number, but ultimately I was able to resolve the issue after a chat with Tesla support.

In short, at the supercharger I tethered my laptop to my phone to connect to the website and update my card info. Then I made sure there were no unpaid charges in my history (also check email for alerts from Tesla linking to these). But, this is *not* sufficient to resolve the problem. According to Tesla support chat, billing info *only* updates over secure (password protected) wifi - not over the built in LTE connection. I was able to put my phone into personal 'wifi hot spot' mode, and then find it as a wifi connection in the car's interface, and connect. After about 5 minutes, the updated billing info must have propagated to my car, as the warning disappeared.

More context: The number of my card on file was changed at some point by the issuer, but I had not noticed (and nor had Tesla) as I had free supercharger miles. I used up the last of these while driving to Maine from Boston, and then Tesla noticed the issue with my card, (although in fact the issuer did not reject the charges). The links on the model 3 screen that were supposed to allow me to update my card and resolve the issue did not work, and as many have reported payment info cannot be updated over the phone app. I connected my laptop over the pone and updated the card, but the "supercharging unavailable, update payment info" warning remained on screen, and the car would not initiate a charging session. I tried for half an hour, then finished my trip (I had enough range....fortunately). The next day I reached Tesla by chat when they had opened (it is not 24/7), and was told to connect to secure wifi. I proposed tethering the car to my phone, and was told it might work. Happily, it did.

I really think Tesla should allow payment info to be edited in the app and car, and that changes should propagate over the LTE. Either that (are the security issues so difficult?) they should provide secure wifi at all superchargers. Getting locked out on a long drive is no fun.
  • > @montira said:
    > After a little wait, and with the help of Tesla's Support Online Chat (thanks @Landy!) I was able to figure out the (not-so-intuitive) solution to my "Supercharging unavailable" problem. I also learned of a complicating factor that I was not aware of in my previous post: The "5,000 free super-charger miles" that I got when I bought the car a year ago (and had used a small handful of times since then), had just expired a few days ago. Perhaps this left my account in some sort of weird limbo-state...
    >
    > Anyhow, here's how to fix the annoying "Supercharging unavailable" message:
    > 1) Log in to your Tesla account on your computer.
    > 2) Click "History" and see if there are outstanding charges.
    > 3) Use the blue button to pay any outstanding charges ($11.88 in my case), and, voila the annoying error message is gone the next time you get in your Tesla.
    >
    > In case there are any Tesla designers watching, here is some feedback on how to make your software and website better. I'll try to be constructive (but there's probably a little venting mixed in, here):
    > * Why tell the user they can "Add payment method from charging screen" when they can't?
    > * Why hide the outstanding balance behind the "History" portion of the Tesla account? (If the product's functionality is crippled due to an outstanding balance, shouldn't that be the first thing the user sees when logging in to his/her account?)
    > * Why not charge my credit card that you already had on file (for Premium Connectivity) for the Supercharging? Or, at least give that too me as an option from w/in the car or mobile app?
    > * Why cut off the ability to supercharge without giving a very clear path to fixing the problem? (You almost left me stranded in a small town in Missouri.)
    > * Why have a sticker on the supercharger stations that says "call this phone number if you encounter problems" and not put a phone number on it? (The charging station in Osage Beach, MO had no phone numbers...)
    >
    > To end on a positive note: I do love my Model 3--it's a blast to drive!

@montira - you are a scholar and a saint 🙏🏾
    Thank you so much for this! The " ! " notice was getting annoying.