General

Climate change: There is 3 types of people

edited November 2019 in General
1) People who change their habits
2) People who say they care
3) People who deny climate changes
Planet doesn’t see any difference between type 2 and type 3.

Lately, I have been arguing too much on Twitter and Instagram against type 3, I need an Instabrake.

Comments

• edited November 2019
    I’m 1 & 2. Though 1 happened well more than a decade ago.
    Wish I could go solar, but costs too much for limited benefit.

Adding trees for friends and family....
  • edited November 2019
    There are 3 levels to determining your type:

1) Those who accept the climate is changing
    2) Those who accept that humans are accelerating it
    3) Understanding and being conscientious about your responsibility on this planet

When you have ascended to level 3, you should have changed your habits by then.
  • edited November 2019
    My wife and I are all in on 1 and 2, and at level 3 of @andy's type description installing 13.2 kWh solar PV 7 years ago and Powerwall batteries last year in all electric home operating as a microgrid ~9 months of the year. We drive EVs exclusively (MS and M3), and do everything we can to convince neighbors and friends to install solar and drive EVs. I am retired marine biologist who has witnessed first hand to demise of coral reefs over 50 + years of diving reefs due to warming oceans and ocean acidification. We also plant trees to sequester carbon.
  • edited November -1
    to = the
  • edited November 2019
    I think i'm proud to say i'm 1&2 and on level 3. Also passing those lessons on my kids who are still young. We're in the process of removing a huge half dead tree to put in a 'nicer' one. Added 8 fruit trees to our yard (4 out where neighbors can get to them). We're awaiting delivery on an MX (wished i could have afforded one sooner). Installed a 8.3kWh system a 1.5 years ago. We stopped using grocery bags cause i got annoyed at them double bagging single bottles of soda or putting a huge bag of cereal in a bag.
  • edited November -1
    My window guy comes the 17th to install the last batch of low e windows on my house. We’ve installed a solar powered attic fan to lower heat in the attic reducing our air conditioning bills. I drive a Tesla and my SO a hybrid. I put down an extra layer of insulation in the attic.

I’d install a solar roof but my HOA won’t allow them. I give test drives in the Tesla to anyone who wants one and can make a nuisance of myself talking up EVs.
  • edited November 2019
    These posts give me a little bit of hope on the future of humankind. Theses forums are good sometimes.
  • edited November 2019
    These posts give me a little bit of hope on the future of humankind. Theses forums are good sometimes.
  • edited November 2019
    Dmm1240 double check your laws, I didnt think HOAs were allowed to block solar anymore. Unless your in a historic area. If you have the space a solar pergola in the garden could work too.
  • edited November 2019
    @vincst42. I live in a townhouse style condominium. The HOA owns the roof. Crazy, but that's how state law is written.
  • edited November 2019
    @dmm, here in NorCal, I believe I could get around those laws for our townhouse, but the problem is the roof is just too darn small. :-/
  • edited November 2019
    1 and 2 type. I don’t much care about 3 nowadays. It’s been hard, but I’ve learnt to ignore 3, carry on with whatever I am going to do to fight it.

Max, I’d advise you to do the same, because you should do whatever you want to do without distractions.
  • edited November -1
    Overall the planet doesn't care about #1 either. In the end the planet will win no matter what. I am not saying that people shouldn't change their ways however.
  • edited November 2019
    In the geologic timescale, the planet does not care and will do whatever. But its kind of counterproductive to our species to intentionally complicate our survival.
  • edited November 2019
    If an Asteroid strikes tomorrow, the earth as a planet will still survive. Humanity might not.

This is a slow moving Asteroid, and not as dramatic.
  • edited November 2019
    Humans ignore it when its human caused. If some other species did it, there would be an outrage.
  • edited November -1
    the earth will soon be rid of this temporary infestation by humans
  • edited November 2019
    End of the world is a misnomer. The word habitable should be out in parentheses.
  • edited November 2019
    @andy.connor.e

I don't think that it is a situation where we "ignore" it because it's "human caused" so much as it is a situation where we allow ourselves to be convinced that our usage of, say "fossil fuels", is "necessary" because there aren't any other alternatives, or to switch to them would be too expensive, or there would be too great of an impact on our economy, or any number of any other nonsensical contrivances that those desiring to hold onto the reigns of power for as long as they can can manage to devise.

All of these excuses are, of course, farcical BS as we can all see unveiling today.

That's what this is, those moving on, those evolving, and those doing whatever they can imagine to do to desperately cling onto the past, even devolve or regress us if we allow them to.
  • edited November 2019
    I think -and it's just thoughts, it's not a religion nor a reason to get armed- the idea of humans believing they or their actions are the "cause" of the planet's inevitable climate wanderings is only another illustration of the size of their egos.
    If my 12-ounces of R-12 is going to rend the ozone, why can't I get ants to stay out of the kitchen? And how odd that Freon was outlawed just as DuPont's patents on it were running out.
    My generation (now 65) was told in junior high that we'd be in another ice age by now, and that oil would all be used up by 1990.
    I think the planet's climate rings like a bell, or like wave rings in a pond. Maybe our use of burned hydrocarbons has an effect, but I'm still suspicious that it isn't as much as we're being brainwashed to believe, particularly considering who's doing the washing and their motives. And I see only good in the idea of dismantling and eliminating most of the coal and oil industries, if for no other reason than they're just too big by any measure.
    Anyway, I bought a Tesla. Maybe that'll win me some Greenpeace points. But I have no fantasies that my actions in any direction are truly going to matter.
  • edited November 2019
    I have a tesla. I hate the goons that think its saving the world. The batteries alone kill more planet than most cars. I just like them because they are fast. My other vehicle is a coal rolling diesel, turbo rotaries, and big block muscle cars that get 5mpg. Climate change is a term used to get you to vote for a politician. The idea is great, but that has nothing to do with any of it.
  • edited November 2019
    Type number 4: People who look at climate data.
  • edited November 2019
    Hey RaceLab, Dr. Richard Lindzen said it best. He said that politicians are always looking for ways to increase taxation of the citizens. If the politicians can convince the citizens that they need to pay higher taxes to save the planet, then the citizens would be more willing to pay!
  • edited November 2019
    Yep, exactly Mitch.

Throw in crooked social media and all major networks pushing the same narrative, and you can convince millions.

I've planted thousands of trees, which is more than most environmental warriors have done.
  • edited November 2019
    Sigh, the oil companies made it political and suckered the right wing into believing that constant burning of fossil fuels was not going to do any harm. Exxon own scientists proved that theory wrong and they decided to suppress it.
    The fact people are still trying to make it political shows how we continue to follow our beliefs instead of science and data.
    Just follow actual climate scientists and their research and not these other scientists with degrees in physics, or meteorology, or math who do not. The evidence is clearly there regardless of what tribe you belong too.