Model 3

I saw traffic cones today!

edited November -1 in Model 3
Not a biggie, but I was driving past a few traffic cones at a building site. They showed up on my screen. Too damn cool! One step forward towards FSD. Congratulations, Mr. Musk! That was pretty cool, even if it didn’t affect my ride in any way . . .

Comments

• edited November -1
    Software version?
  • edited November -1
    And hardware package too. Please.
  • edited November 2019
    I think the traffic cone recognition was added in 2019.36.1. I don't have that yet.
  • edited November 2019
    I saw them too. But not on screen !
  • edited November -1
    I did not see them!
  • edited November 2019
    I had read that traffic cone recognition is only available on vehicles who have HW3 in addition to 36.1.
  • edited November 2019
    Life doesn't get much better. Savor the moment.
  • edited November 2019
    @in7. You are exactly right. All is OK with the world now that my M3 can detect (and count) traffic cones. HW3 and 36.1, I billieve. 4 traffic cones showed up as 4 traffic cones on the display. 8 cones showed ups as 8 traffic cones. Color me impressed. The locations were not perfect, but pretty damn close to perfect.
  • edited November 2019
    @in7. You are exactly right. All is OK with the world now that my M3 can detect (and count) traffic cones. HW3 and 36.1, I billieve. 4 traffic cones showed up as 4 traffic cones on the display. 8 cones showed ups as 8 traffic cones. Color me impressed. The locations were not perfect, but pretty damn close to perfect.
  • edited November 2019
    Sorry for the double-post
  • edited November -1
    So does this mean HW 2.5 owners who purchased FSD can get the HW 3.0 chip?
  • edited November 2019
    @wayne,
    I don't think visualization of the cones counts as an FSD feature that requires HW3 upgrade. Owners who didn't pay anything for FSD are seeing the traffic cones as long as they have HW3. So it's just a nice visualization that doesn't mean anything for FSD.
  • edited November 2019
    @wayne
    They're starting to.
  • edited November 2019
    @vmulla: I think the traffic cones influence how Autopilot navigates construction zones, so it does mean something for FSD if cars without HW3 can't detect the cones.
  • edited November -1
    @Bighorn Good news.
  • edited November -1
    EVRider | November 10, 2019
    @vmulla: I think the traffic cones influence how Autopilot navigates construction zones, so it does mean something for FSD if cars without HW3 can't detect the cones.
    ----

Absolutely, I'm just sharing that the cones showing on the screen don't mean anything for FSD functionality *now*.
  • edited November 2019
    On the A14 works today, the FSD reacted to the cones reducing the lanes from double to single lane.
  • edited November 2019
    All new cars being released today have HW3, so unless the new computer chip is the limiting factor for current production rate (not likely), you'd think they could pump out a few extras and start upgrading those of us who paid for FSD. Seems like there are now features that those of us who put down a deposit, waited for years, and paid more for our cars (even counting tax rebates) didn't get. Time for HW3 retrofits!
  • edited November 2019
    @Steve
    Like I said, they’re starting to do retrofits. S/X upgrades started a couple months ago.
  • edited November 2019
    I’m just excited to see the cones! And they are absolutely counted. Four cones at the corner showed up as 4 cones on the screen. Eight cones on the side of the road showed up as 8 cones. Pretty impressive! One more step forward to FSD, although I think that is still a long way off . . .
  • edited November 2019
    I got the 2019.36.2.1 update today. Took the car out on an errand. The car recognized some traffic cones (neighbors tend to use them to mark their mailbox or drive ways on poorly lit street). However it failed to recognize most of the cones, however it did seem to recognize about every other fire hydrant (painted red with white tops) as a traffic cone.
  • edited November -1
    @Scarab,
    Fire hydrants being recognized as traffic cones is excellent news. We can expect correct fire hydrant recognition in future upgrades, I look forward to these tiny glimpses of the future. Thanks for sharing :)
  • edited November -1
    @vmulla, hopefully it isn't just a glitch. It would be nice for the system to recognize fire hydrants if only to help avoid illegal parking.
  • edited November 2019
    Last summer on Ver 9 driving NoAP the car decided it would be the perfect time to change lanes to the right just as the cones were directing traffic to the left. Had to do a little scrambling to get back on track. I was really looking forward to trying out the cone recognition. Now I’m more anxious than ever to get my FSD chip.