General

German Gigafactory near Berlin

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Tesla pulling off a new factory within less then a year is a miracle by itself, a year ago people were claiming this to be impossible. The stock is soaring because on Q4 call it is expected Tesla to outline expected Giga3 output.

As i posted earlier, Berlin will not be as fast as Shanghai, it will be really fast for European standards tho.
  • edited December 2019
    No doubt that cutting red tape and a fast build out were part of the decision to locate near Berlin and the negotiations beforehand.
  • edited December 2019
    No doubt that was part of it, cutting red tape. Just constructing 24/7 is likely none negotiable in Europe due to many reasons.
  • edited December 2019
    What, no second or third shifts in Deutschland?

Next thing we'll hear is that they want 2 or 3 weeks off for Oktoberfest next year.
  • edited December 2019
    "...Just constructing 24/7 is likely none negotiable in Europe due to many reasons."

Ya, one of those reason would be that commercial trucks are not allowed on the Autobahn on Sundays. I don't know is that applies to secondary roads though.
  • edited December 2019
    Be optimized, seems your MO.
  • edited December 2019
    I am an optimist if that's what you meant.

Although I am pretty efficient too.
  • edited December 2019
    @TabascoGuy

I don't know whether you've ever actually been to Oktoberfest or not, but it takes "2 or 3 weeks" just to recuperate (or at least it did for me), though I imagine that the locals would likely have a higher tolerance so maybe not.
  • edited December 2019
    @blue

It's on my bucket list, right after Scotland to visit a distillery or ten.
  • edited December 2019
    I think the German Giga4 will go up at a ~record pace for Europe, but as others noted, it won't be as quick as Shanghai. Just for starters, there's about a million scrubby trees to get rid of. Not as simple as the barren so called "swamp" that Giga3 was built in/on. Right now, they're scanning for WWII era explosives. Then there will be deforestation, then the blitz build can commence. At least they will have the playbook pretty well written for this one. The machine that builds the machine can be replicated!
  • edited December 2019
    Germans are efficient, the site's trees are literally a tree farm; probably shall be removed in less than a week.
  • edited December 2019
    Here's a nice little video tour, on the site. Imagine...
  • edited January 2
    Removed and replanted elsewhere...Gotta respect the environment.
  • edited January 2
    how dot thom flag
  • edited January 2
    @TabascoGuy

If you hit the Scottish distilleries before Oktoberfest you'll never make it to Oktoberfest (though I can't determine whether that would be a 'good' or a 'bad' thing).
  • edited January 3
    @blue

I'll let you know when I wake up. Seriously though, it most likely won't be "right after", they're just both on the list.
  • edited November -1
    From Tesla Motors Club article, construction to begin this March, Model Y first off the line.
  • edited January 29
    When it comes to the speed of the factory's construction I'm waiting to see how German precision stacks up against Chinese efficiency, afterall, the Chinese got it up and running in just 168 days!

That's an impressive accomplishment.
  • edited February 19
    Trees felled and stacked in piles. Environmental group brings site clearing to halt.
  • edited February 19
    Efficiently built doesn't necessarily mean well built. Only time will tell. Look at bridges here in the U.S. Over the years bridges that were designed/built relatively quick using the latest design technology that end up collapsing. Then you have steel girder bridges like GWB that have been around for well over 100 years.
  • edited November -1
    @sbeggs

Well, it does seem somewhat counterintuitive for a company whose very business model is the development and production of alternative energy methodologies designed to transition the world OFF of carbon-based fuel usage to improve the overall ecology of our environment, our oceans, our lives, our world, to be pushed into clearing a couple acres of a forest plot just to build one of their factories INSTEAD of being offered one of the several shuttered and vacant business / factory properties scattered all about Germany, don't you think?

Who knows, despite all that they might have to say in their advertisements, perhaps Germany isn't really all that interested in actually pursuing emissions-free transportation or working to enable the transition to actual carbon-neutrality?:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/world/europe/germany-climate-protection-merkel.html

Especially when they've already shown such promise in the adoption of renewable-produced energy:

https://www.dw.com/en/german-renewables-deliver-more-electricity-than-coal-and-nuclear-power-for-the-first-time/a-49606644

Or maybe it's just that they're more so interested in doubling down on their legacied, natural gas-based investments by developing technology that'll enable the extraction of hydrogen from it for use as fuel in their cars?:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/german-industry-talks-up-carbon-free-hydrogen-from-fossil-gas/

Whichever the reason it might eventually turn out to be I'll still find it highly unethical for Germany to have insisted that Tesla use a swath of forest land for Giga-4 when part of Tesla's goals are to save them.
  • edited February 20
    @jordanrichard

A good point, then there is also what our country's definition of "well built" is versus what China's is, though I will say that China, one of the oldest civilizations on our planet, has historically chosen to ensure the longevity of their endeavors whatever they might be.

As you've said, "time will tell".
  • edited February 20
    I guess VW, BMW and MB are just too embedded with the petroleum industry to want actual change to a sustainable, emission-free, carbon-neutral form of transportation power.

Perhaps Denmark, Norway, or maybe Sweden, would be a more...suitable...place for Giga-4?