Model S

Touchscreen black after rebooting

Anyone have any issues with the touchscreen dying after rebooting. I was having problems with the Audio not loading and erroring out so I decided to reboot the touchscreen. Bad mistake, it never came back on. Tesla says it went bad and needs to be replaced. I have a 2015 model and it seems other friends with similar aged Model S's have had to replace screen or having other issues. Is this the lifetime of the screen? $2600 replacement for something so critical for the car, without it, you can't do anything but drive. So not happy about this.

Comments

• edited November 2019
    just happened to me.only have 39,000 miles. Manufacture defect?
  • edited November -1
    @emeyerson: Mileage doesn’t matter, how old is your car?
  • edited November 2019
    Exact same for me. My 2015 85D was acting weird. I rebooted. Never came back. my eMMC went bad. I had to replace the MCU. Was about $2200 for a reman unit.
    Although tesla recently started logging less to the eMMC, every single car will experience this failure, especially the MCU 1 vintage.
    If you hunt the TMC forums, there are people (@tonyt) on the west coast that offer repair of just the eMMC chip, but that requires taking apart your dash and sending the tegra daughter board to him for repair.
    I personally have 4 very close friends with Model S, and every single one of us has had the same failure within 6 weeks of each other.
    My wifes 2016 MX is due pretty soon sadly.
  • edited November 2019
    I assume some just went out of warranty? If the 2016 car is under 50k, try to document errors before you run out of warranty....
  • edited November -1
    So I had this same problem on the morning of the 29th of November. My screen just started rebooting continuously, also going black. Tried rebooting but would not fix it. I have a 2015 85D that just came off lease and I decided to purchase it. Warranty finished 6 weeks ago. I decided to take my chances and not get the extended warranty. I brought it to the dealer and they were also afraid it may be the MCU. I just had it replaced 1 year ago under warranty. Unfortunately the replacement unit has a 1 year warranty, which I was also over on. They just called me today to pick it up and I got it 2 hours ago. This was the text I got when I asked what was wrong: “ the issue is still under investigation, there will be a firmware update in the future. The engineers advised that you disable your calendar sync if you use it. It may help alleviate the issue.” So for now it works and I did NOT have to get the MCU replaced. They told me there were 3 other people in with the same issue. So obviously some software issue. For those that were told to replace their MCU I would argue, as they told me this is now a known issue. They were asking questions like what kind of phone I have connected via Bluetooth and what software version the phone was on. Hope this helps and hope this fix holds up.
  • edited December 2019
    I just picked my 2015 P85D up from service after having the MCU replaced. I was getting graphics rendering errors on the maps and tried a reboot last week to fix it but the touchscreen never rebooted.
  • edited December 2019
    Did they upgrade to mcu2?
  • edited December 2019
    no
  • edited May 13
    well looks like my 2015 85D has met the same fate. I was driving yesterday and the touchscreen blacked out. Tried multiple restarts for both screens and the "T" log came up but nothing else happened. The temperature and odometer also arent functioning. The car is driveable but its a tin box. Taking it in on friday......will update you all
  • edited May 13
    Is it a coincidence that the pandemic of MCU failures started about the same time as Covid?
  • edited May 13
    I wonder if they were made in China?
  • edited November -1
    @Tldickerson - It could have changed, but in a factory tour, I saw MCU1s being made in Fremont. This was a few years ago during a rare tour of the upper floor.
  • edited May 13
    @barrykmd, makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing the good news.
  • edited May 14
    ahdhawan, many times when the MCU starts behaving like you describe yours it will not charge until repaired. Please consider your remaining range to get through until Friday.

I'm collecting data on failed MCUs. Would appreciate it if you can provide this brief list generic data points on your car when you take it in. Thanks in advance

PBEndo, I've not been able to glean from the forum, your mileage at MCU failure or your '15's build date. Can you share that with me, please?

Car Year:
    Model: S or X?
    Battery size:
    Mileage at failure:
    Date of failure:
    Car build date:
    (Car build date is on the driver's inside of door sticker.)
  • edited June 8
    gpap2020, if you are reading this, please response with some sort of acknowledgement. You said above that you had already paid for an MCU replacement and it failed a year later. And you had to pay again, because the MCU has a 1 year warranty. But you opted not to replace it and pay for it again. The first one you replaced, has a 4 year warranty, not 1 year. You might be able to get your current one replaced for free.
  • edited June 8
    @akikiki - He didn't pay for the first replacement. He says it was replaced under warranty. I believe the warranty replacement might only be for either the remainder of the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty OR for 12 months. I've read Tesla's warranty a few times and it isn't clear to me.
  • edited November -1
    Bill_75D, I believe your are correct. Thanks for the assist.
  • edited November -1
    My 2015 85D just had a software update two days ago. Now I have no audio for anything, including turn signals, and have lost most of the apps across the top of the screen (still have lock, bluetooth, Tesla, Charge and Time). I have wifi icon but won't connect. After reading these posts I haven't tried to reboot as I still have some functionality on screen. Car has 34k miles, from 12/2015. Three questions: Is this the MCU issue folks are talking about here? 2) If I reboot do I run risk of losing everything else on the touchscreen, and 3) is this covered by warranty? The car is smarter than me so I would appreciate any advice or assistance anyone has.
  • edited June 8
    1) Likely
    2) Yes, but if the MCU is close to failing, it's likely to happen anyway. I suggest not rebooting while on a trip.
    3) It is covered by the original 4 year/50K mile warranty, so 2015 is out of that warranty. If you bought the extended warranty, it is covered by that. There is no special extended freebie warranty. Used cars bought from Tesla have a different warranty, and might still be covered.
  • edited June 8
    @dafesq , where do you live, what city?
  • edited June 9
    Kikiki, Nipomo, California . Santa Barbara is where we've always had it serviced, about 90 miles south of us.
  • edited June 9
    I recommend you read the first post on this thread. Then send a message to EV-Fixme. The author of that thread lives in Orange County. (You might need to create a free account on TMC in order to send him a message.)
  • edited November -1
    PBEndo, I've been looking through old threads. Found above where you picked up your car after MCU replacement, but can't find how many miles it had. Can you share with me, your mileage in Dec '19 when you got your MCU replaced?