Model S

EPA rates new Porsche Taycan as least efficient EV ever tested.

edited February 18 in Model S
Update:

Taycan Turbo S in now the new least-efficient champ with 192 miles EPA.

Taycan Turbo EPA is 201
Taycan Turbo S is 192

Model S EPA is 390 (LR Plus)
Performance S is 348

Porsche's new Taycan [Turbo] electric vehicle is the least efficient EV ever, according to the EPA. Its 69 MPGe combined efficiency figure is low for a modern EV, as is its rated range of 201 miles on a single charge. Even the decades-old GM EV1 was more efficient, rated at a combined 85 MPGe.

We previously estimated that the Taycan Turbo's EPA range would land around 270 miles. There is also a more powerful Turbo S model, which will likely offer even less range (we previously estimated it at around 225 miles), and a less powerful 4S model, which will likely offer slightly more range.

https://autos.yahoo.com/porsche-taycan-terrible-epa-electric-212100651.html;_ylt=Awr9IlJFLPNduv4AWuBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEycmk5cjJmBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDQjkwMTNfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Comments

• edited November -1
    Surmising Car & Driver's previous estimates of 270 miles for Taycan Turbo and 225 mile for Taycan Turbo S vs. EPA's 201 miles for Taycan Turbo, would yield an EPA rated range of 156 miles for Taycan Turbo S; or just under $1,200 per rated mile of range for the Turbo S.

Another claim-to-fame for Porsche!
  • edited November -1
    It's the first true Sports BEV. You can't get something for nothing. Performance doesn't come for free. A bit surprising, though, that the low heat loss 800 v system doesn't help (although maybe it does) but I'm not an engineer.
  • edited November -1
    Dude calls us fanboys.

Above post is a doozey.
  • edited November -1
    But...but...turbo
  • edited November -1
    Oh Snap.
  • edited December 2019
    Mark K, SamO, and NKYTA say, as usual... Duuuuuhhhhh, yup, yup, yup
  • edited December 2019
    Just waiting for Mathew98 to chime in with his middle-school dropout drool.
  • edited December 2019
    @Nuke 800v is the technical solution for the efficiency trade-offs I'll discuss below due to the focus on performance. Trade-offs are that it's a more powerful car which requires more energy, but because of 800v it draws less current and stays cooler so no limp mode. It has a higher rolling resistance, bigger/heavier wheel/tires/brakes for better handling. It's a bit heavier with it's transmission but that transmission is what allows it to reach 155mph in half of the time it takes Model S. It uses a different regen implementation so that the driver has better control over braking while racing which helps with handling. It also has rear wheel steering for improved handling but that is also adding weight. But again 800v means that it can be recharged much faster which is why it can complete trips more quickly than most cars with 400v systems. What our fanboy friends logic fails to realize is that Porsche wasn't trying to build a economy car like Model S/3, they are making a Sports Car. Also because of the way the EPA test is conducted, you can't get accurate range numbers for BEVs. There's no way to use regen like on the road with a Dyno. And the EPA subtracts a generic 30% of the measured range from BEVs so that means the car got about ~290 miles during the test. This is why the independent road test saw range of 275 miles vs EPAs inaccurate 201 mile adjusted number. Finally, EPA efficiency also factors in charging efficiency in it's MPGe equivalent numbers. They don't use 800v fast DC, they use 240v AC so there's an additional ~15% penalty for that as well. EPA also isn't using the ECO mode for this testing. But the car is absolutely less efficient than a Tesla as are all race cars vs road cars. So Taycan is an EPIC FAIL at pretending to be a Prius! Oh wait, what's this? It's actually more energy efficient at 69 MPGe than a Prius 58 MPG while managing to perform like a 911! Say it isn't so!
  • edited December 2019
    Forgot to add that the better materials fit and finish which quiet down all the rattles, road noise and add the luxury Porsche customers want also adds weight which impacts range.
  • edited December 2019
    I was too busy benching @Nuke's mama on my pecker to respond. @Dumbazz was otherwise preoccupied by spying in the corner and choking his chicken. He was awestruck and became absolutely speechless for the first time this month...

Let's take thay Toycan out for a spin, shall we?
  • edited December 2019
    Well, you’ll have have job with the Ministry of Propaganda when Porsche goes under, at least. That was masterful.
  • edited December 2019
    Bighorn what's propaganda about it? Are you so insecure about our cars that you can't discuss the technical merits of another vehicle?
  • edited December 2019
    Not at all insecure. You’re just blowing smoke over obvious shortcomings. All will be revealed, but the party line is that they underestimated EPA on purpose when you know they fought to get every last mile to clear the 200 mile threshold. Plus payed for third party damage control to say 275. It’s so ridiculous to argue otherwise. Again, the car will tell the tale, if they ever get around to delivering them.
  • edited November -1
    Slower, less range, more expensive
    But its a turbo!
  • edited November -1
    Paid
  • edited December 2019
    Bighorn you are aware Tesla paid that same firm right?
  • edited December 2019
    Its a turbo!
  • edited December 2019
    Did Tesla send a press release to each sales location to lie about how that firm’s analysis represent the actual range? Cause if so, maybe one of the astroturfers can post their link.

It’s a Taycon turbo.
  • edited December 2019
    SamO Tesla claimed Model S had a 300 mile range for YEARS.
  • edited December 2019
    @darth

To avoid addressing the elephant in the room, you seem to be chasing imaginary flies.

Curb weight of the Taycan and Model S are quite close, not enough to account for a 40% deficit in range.

It all comes to how efficient the power train is, how efficient the electronics are, how effective the closing off of the gaps is, when not needed (front cooling ports on the S).

Porsche screwed up. Bottom line. They know it, which is why their test at the independent firm is rightly being termed ‘damage control’. Not by us, by most everyone outside.
  • edited December 2019
    @red
    I came up with “damage control” all on my own. That others said the same is pure coincidence.
  • edited November -1
    @BH

I believe you, BH :-)
  • edited December 2019
    Darth:

Using Apples to Apples comparisons (the EPA ratings), the Taycan has a rated range of about 200 miles. The new Model S has a rated range of 370 miles. These are facts, not opinion.

Having a 400/800V system means nothing in terms of rated range.

Fit and Finish mean nothing in terms of rated range

EPA range has NOTHING to do with charging speed. They do not even mention those numbers.

The numbers mentioned are:
    - Range of travel on a full battery
    - MPGe for city/highway/combined driving which is based on the number of miles capable of traveling over the size of the battery (efficiency).

The Porsche may be a driver's car, but it does not drive as far as a Tesla does.

These are facts, not opinions.
  • edited December 2019
    Jalopnik’s take on the interiors:

Despite all the screens and leather, I wouldn’t call the interior opulent. It’s clearly high quality, and both comfortable and elegant, but in a subdued sort of way that tends to be common among German sport sedans.

The Tesla interior is quite nice. I don’t think it’s quite as sexy as the Porsche’s cabin, but it’s still elegant enough considering the price delta, and I thought the material quality was decent. Tesla’s definitely paved the way with the giant tablet screen, which lots of automakers have adopted since.

Does it really matter if you’re just going to have Marc Jacobs rip it all out?
  • edited December 2019
    @Reed I know it doesn't have the range of Model S. No one ever said that. But the EPA ranges are not accurate for either car. Taycan will get more range than the EPA test, but less range than Model S. Model S will get less range than EPA test, but more than Taycan will significant margin. It's the way these cars are designed vs the faulty test methodology.