Built in way to Format Drive with FAT32 in WIndows

edited November -1 in Model 3
Just went through this
Windows no longer offers FAT32 as an options, BUT WIndows PowerShell does

Just search for Windows Power shell then open it up, then type in

format /FS:FAT32 G:

WHERE G: is the Drive that corresponds to your USD drive
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT DRIVE

It does take a while, but no malware or paying for a thirdparty app.

Below is what it will look like..

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\Users\tim> format /FS:FAT32 G:
Insert new disk for drive G:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is EXFAT.
The new file system is FAT32.
Verifying 119.1 GB
16 percent completed.

Comments

• edited December 2019
  • edited December 2019
    Windows 10 sucks.
    I used partition wizard.
  • edited December 2019
    For me, the Powershell approach did not work for a very large drive (a SanDisk Extreme Portable 500GB) for some reason.

So, I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master (free software - unless you buy the premium version) and it worked great.
  • edited November -1
    I also have EaseUS Partition Master with Premium and I like it. The UI was confusing at first. Whenever I selected a command to execute (i.e. format), there's one more step to actually execute it and I didn't noticed the extra step at first and kept assuming it was working but I was wrong and finally figured out to click on another button to execute the command.

Peter
  • edited November -1
    Good points, it will fail with a partition larger than 32GB, I used Partition Guru for my 128gb Drive
  • edited November -1
    So this doesn't get around the 32 GB FAT formatting limitation of Windows. You had me so excited, especially since your OP shows it working with something that's probably a 128GB drive.
  • edited December 2019
    FWIW Linux ext3 and ext4 both work flawlessly and allow the full capacity of the device.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, but I'd have a hard time explaining to my sister how to review sentry video on her PC with an EXT4 formatted device...
  • edited November -1
    I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine and he said why not insert a thumb drive into USB port of Tesla computer and let Tesla format the thumb drive instead of forcing people to format the thumb drive with either PC or Mac OS. I totally agree with my friend. It does not make sense for Tesla to force people to remove the thumb drive from Tesla's USB port to format the thumb drive from either PC or Mac OS and then put the thumb drive back to Tesla computer.

So why can't we insert the thumb drive into Tesla's USB port and format the thumb drive and go from there?

Peter
  • edited November -1
    I just used my Android phone to format my SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card. You can also use a Chromebook. Both are built-in FAT32.
  • edited November -1
    This app is the easiest IMO in windows (click the image to download it)
    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

@pnagy while this does make sense it doesn't necessarily fit all the use-cases. Like, what if you want to partition the drive for music and other stuff. Or some of us are using a Raspberry Pi for enhanced flexibility with the function. It's clearly a bolt-on feature still and I hope it becomes more integrated at some point (i.e. on screen instructions after a new drive is inserted and ability to view videos from the drive, in the car), but until then, having users configure it probably the best way to go.
  • I couldn't find the reason why Powershell didn't work after download! It was a problem with the drivers. I needed to update all of them. I did it with this service http://thinkmobiles.com/blog/driver-easy-review/ and now everything seems like well!!
  • edited January 20
    I've never had an issue with any storage device being able to plug it into my computer, right click on the drive, hit format, and select file system to FAT32. Only thing that does not work is HDD's and SSDs. Any SD card, flash drive should be able to do FAT32 or NTFS.
  • edited January 20
    My TV can format hard drives for me. Not sure why a Tesla can’t do the same.
  • edited November -1
    Dont worry about the Tesla formatting it. Just set the file system to the correct one using a computer. It takes about 5 seconds to do.
  • edited January 20
    @andy: Depends on the computer. Windows doesn’t format >32GB drives as FAT32 without additional utilities.
  • edited January 20
    i've had a 64GB flash drive for years and can change it from FAT32 or NTFS. But an SSD or HDD however, may require the utilities.
  • edited November -1
    I wrote step-by-step instructions here with screenshots to format under Windows and Mac: https://cammem.com/tesla/preparing-your-drive/

@andy - Yep, and you can change it to exFAT as well. Neither exFAT nor NTFS will work in the Tesla, and for 64 GB, Windows format doesn't work to get back to FAT32.
  • edited January 20
    are we all talking about the same thing? I am reading these comments as though im being told that windows cannot format to FAT32 file system.

As far as i understand HDDs and SSDs cannot format to FAT32 without a 3rd party utility. If im wrong about either of these statements, i will be taking screenshots after i get home.
  • edited January 20
    Mac OS will format to FAT32 using the Mac Disk Utility.
  • edited January 20
    Mac OS will format to FAT32 using the Mac Disk Utility.
  • edited November -1
    Ditch MS Windows and go with a Linux distribution. I'd suggest Ubuntu. One can install it as a dual boot. The folks at Tesla are wisely using Linux in our cars already.
  • edited November -1
    I have completely avoided facing this challenge by never transferring any of my 600 album salsa collection to any medium. Instead, on the Model S, I created a couple of channels like the Ray Barretto channel or I click on Amsterdam Radio Salsa and play what comes up! I am a coward! At home I play my LPs, and CDs, enjoying the liner notes and album art. Ok B.....r!
  • edited January 20
    Never use standard Windows to format your media for your Tesla. Not even the Powershell. Google a windows tool and use that instead.

Or better yet: use Linux or a Mac. Borrow a machine from a friend or colleague for five minutes.
  • edited January 20
    Or format the SD card as ext4. :-)