General

OTA update 2019.40.50

edited January 5 in General
Tesla releases an OTA update (released the week of 12/22/2019) aimed at safety improvements while driving.

Some notable improvements include:

- Voice command improvements (climate, vehicle, navigation, media, communication settings)
- Audio/Visual onscreen display of incoming text messages (reply via voice to text)
- Save dashcam footage on honk option
- Camp Mode
- Driving visualization improvements

“In an Edmunds scorecard for 2020 Top Best EV of the Year, the M3’s UI received the lowest score. According to Edmunds, the M3’s MCU was deemed a safety hazard based on the potential distractions for the driver while operating the vehicle”.

source: https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/tesla-2019-40-50-update-features-camp-mode-fsd-preview-holiday-update.

The update is moving quickly through the fleet, and is much needed as the Tesla UI has the most potential of any modern vehicle. The platform can only improve from here.

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Lots of goodies in this update, but unfortunately it also seems to have broken voice commands for many of us. Time will tell whether that’s an issue with Tesla’s servers (which process voice input) or a bug in the update. I received 40.50.1 in our Model 3 yesterday, still waiting for the Model S update.
  • edited November -1
    What are they now calling Camp Mode, that we didn’t have before?
  • edited November -1
    I also noted some of the voice commands were bricked. I have an X and use a Google pixel 2 XL, and cannot get text messages to display. Does anyone know if an android device such as a google pixel is precluded from sending texts via bluetooth? The car instructs me to enable messaging over bluetooth, however I cannot find a way to do this on the Android pixel 2, nor has google search unveiled any methods.
    Hopefuly this isnt a IPHONE ONLY feature and It is an Id10T problem....
  • edited December 2019
    Since update voice commands have a issue. Has anyone tried texting?
  • edited December 2019
    I have the update without (Driving visualization improvements and Save dashcam footage on honk option). Any thoughts?
  • edited November -1
    Texting reply work. Initial text sent from car did not. Wife’s 3. 40.50.1
  • edited December 2019
    Are you using an Ifone or and antroid? Cannot get receive texts to work with my Pixel 2, and wondered if this is an issue with telsa software only speaking Italk...
  • While my phone (OnePlus 7 Pro) connected no problem before the update, it is spotty at best now. I was able to get one text message read (though it also read the header and footer code) it will no longer connect with my phone. 2018 Model X with the new MCU 3.0.
  • edited November -1
    Downloaded last night (12/24/19), so far:

The good:

- Bluetooth incoming text notifications update to mobile device (iPhone X): ✔️
    - Incoming text notifications/ read as voice: ✔️
    - Respond to text via voice: ✔️
    - Camp mode: ✔️
    - Honk to save dashcam clips: ✔️

The not so good:

- Incoming text messages are audio chimed in (optional), and displayed onscreen (cards), however a tap is needed to have the text read
    - A tap is also needed to confirm/send outgoing voice text messages (replies)
    - Voice command recognizes commands, yet fails to execute (climate, vehicle functions) thus far (“show the rearview camera” does execute oddly enough)

Work in progress, but overall way better than fumbling around for the phone. Also if the phone is set to “ do not disturb while driving” mode, incoming text messages may not display (depending on device).
  • edited November -1
    Kinda buggy so far... will spend more time with it after Christmas dinner!!
  • edited November -1
    Voice commands (including sending text messages) were broken yesterday because of Tesla server issues. If you were having problems earlier, try again.

@jordanrichard: Here's what the release notes say about Camp Mode:

"Your car can now maintain airflow, temperature, interior lighting, as well as play music, and power devices when Camp Mode is enabled. To enable Camp Mode, tap the fan icon at the bottom of the touchscreen and set Keep Climate On to CAMP while your car is in PARK. Big batteries rock.”

I think Camp Mode is the first time you can keep all the accessories on if you're not in the car, where Keep Climate On is only for the climate control.
  • edited December 2019
    To enable text notifications for android users, go to messaging, settings, notifications, enable network notifications turn on.
    Go go bluetooth on Tesla and enable, Your phone should ask for you to confirm to allow Tesla to access. Then all good.
    It was an ID10T problem, with few instructions on the update.
  • edited December 2019
    Anybody notice decreased range after the update? I’ve only had my car for 2 weeks, a Performance 3, but I had been charging to 90% the last week and it would report 279 miles of range. After the update I charged again to 90% and it reported this AM only 264 miles of range. Similarly, it seemed to drain more on my drive to work and while siting at work all day. Any thoughts?
  • edited December 2019
    The update is horrible. Didn't Tesla test this? I've gotten the voice commands to change climate and open glove box sometimes but other times it just ignores the command all together. If I say send a text message the card will come up and say "tap to dictate" I tap it and it says "listening." but then I speak and nothing and the card just feezes and I have to swipe it away. after about 20 tries it finally actually dictated my message. Then it says "tap to send." but when I tap it it doesn't send it just erases everything and says "listening" again. It took Tesla years to offer something cheap Honda's and Fords have done for years and they couldn't even get it right. I expected way more from a 50K car I purchased instead of a Mercedes.
  • edited December 2019
    easily the worst update i’ve ever seen, perhaps in any piece of software. how does an update for voice activation end up breaking all voice activation?! lol just silly this got through testing.
  • edited November -1
    Ok it must be their servers because now it's working perfectly. I can receive, reply and send text messages. And you don't have to tap the screen you can do it with the right wheel. Also if you say "text" it will pull up the dictate screen and then you have to send it. But you can also say "message" then the name and then the message and it sends it all at once without having to touch anything. You have to say message though. If you say text and the name and then the message it thinks it's part of the contact name and will say contact not found.
  • edited December 2019
    I‘ll try voice commands when back home. German voice commands never Werkes well before so i will give it a new try next week...
  • Tried to pair my phone again today, same problem. Car doesn't see my phone and vice versa. Anyone else having this problem? Android phone, and it was paired before the update.
  • edited December 2019
    Yes Steve, the problem seems to be widespread, especially in europe and basically all non-english speaking countries. Which seems to make it even more difficult for us to make tesla realize they broke our cars.
  • edited December 2019
    I just received the update Tuesday the 24th, I also left that morning for a trip to Mammoth Lake California. 700+ MILES!! 98% on autopilot. I just got home today 12/26 at noon, Here's what I noticed. Autopilot did some odd firm phantom braking on the freeway with no one in front of me and no bridges in front of me, three times within 30 miles of the new firmware install, at places it never has done so before. Also I noticed that while traveling in the slow lane, and merging traffic approaching on the onramp, FAR away and moving SIGNIFICANTLY slower than I was, I would receive emergency braking for that vehicle still on the midway part of the onramp. But perceptible in the onscreen radar, about at my 3-4 oclock position and fading behind me (until the braking scare). Normally Tesla handles this situation almost flawlessly. I had to correct or anticipate this error a few times on the trip. Also, while on this 700+ mile trip the traffic light and stop light display did not activate one single time durring our trip!!! 100% failure rating over and over. LASTLY "Bug report" just now comes back as "command not recognized" so no way to report this problem to Tesla. EXTREMELY dissapointed in this update. How did my autopilot get so much worse. At least the texting feature worked flawlessly for me. 2019 Raven X Performance. 2019.40.50
  • edited December 2019
    Sced06 you are absolutely correct. It also seems like the UI got faster on my M3 as of today as well (with little to no lag):

- Incoming text messages display on cards section (chime notification optional)
    - Press the right scroll wheel to read the text (displayed and voice)
    - Press the right scroll wheel again to reply/send
    - Incoming texts disappear from the cards If there is no reply/response command

I set my phone (apple iPhone X) to “do not disturb while driving” mode, yet a text notification came in, which is also a plus (no need to disable it from the phone manually).

Commands like “navigate to”, have been rendered obsolete. Simply by saying “home”, or “work”, will do the trick. Likewise with artists by name, the command is executed from Spotify in my M3.

Climate controls are now spot on. Commands like “climate on/off” are executed with no lag, likewise with specific temperature, seat heater commands.

I even tried “turn the fog lamps on”, the UI displayed “command not recognized yet”, which means eventually it will be, and probably some others.

I’d really like to see an improvement on the maps/traffic visualization, to the extent that if there is extreme traffic or an accident/incident detected ahead (within a certain radius or some other factor), the UI would recognize that (as it does via the color coded lines, dark red being the heaviest traffic), then suggest alternate routes (to include local streets, other freeways).
  • edited December 2019
    Like others, I'm seeing some of the same issues with voice commands.
    -Literally 3/4 of the time there is no response on the VC system.
    -Bug report seems to fail.
    -In many cases, I have to YELL to get it to respond.
    -90 of the time new commands fail (set temperature, open glove box, seat warmer (actually turned up when I said turned off).
    -Messaging works for incoming, but I could not get a single reply out.

I think Elon pushed to for this to be rushed out just so they could show some progress on FSD. I was excited about the voice enhancements, as it will be a huge safety improvement, but this was half baked or rolled out before it was ready. Hopefully the next update will fix some of these problems and Tesla is looking at the forums to know they have a problem.
  • edited December 2019
    Is anyone else seeing degradation of autopilot with this update?

It seems like auto pilot is now weaving/ping ponging between the lines, as to where it use to stay pretty centered
  • edited December 2019
    Update, stoplight and stop signs now working, my bad, have to enable it. It makes sense for liability reasons.
  • edited December 2019
    So far we haven't gotten the text messages to work on my wife's model 3 (my model S hasn't gotten the update yet). It is all configured - set up in the car and the permissions enabled on the bluetooth connection on the phone. Just no texts show up. Chime is even enabled. I am starting to think it has to do with the fact that we use Google Fi (the MVNO, not the Fiber) and because it enables easy texting from your PC we still use Google Hangouts for text messaging (it has been deprecated for non-Fi customers). I'm willing to bet that switching to the "messaging" app for texting will make it work - but that would be a trade off since they we wouldn't be able to easily send SMS messages from our PCs. I'm going to have to test it when my model S finally gets this update and I set it up for my phone. Although, Hangouts does work fine with my FitBit over Bluetooth. So it really should be working...