Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Elon Musk says "No" to waypoints

This morning a local Tesla club tweeted Elon Musk about adding Disney+ to Tesla Theater.

EM said "it's coming" (although it is already doable).

In a follow up tweet in the conversation the same Tesla club asked if we could get waypoints in the Nav.

EM's reply was short and to the point.

"No".

LOL

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Haha, it is funny that he was so direct to that, but disappointing at the same time. I will assume then that he would probably say no to alternate route selection.
  • edited November -1
    I'm happy with that answer from Elon. Especially after what I learned from this thread.
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/where-am-i-losing-range

I feel Tesla does not have the full data to reliably chart a plan for multiple stops - when the time at a waypoint affects range, and when Tesla has no control on the time car is stopped, how can they plan for the losses/route?

Even if they did it implement it, the customers will constantly find fault with Tesla for not accurately predicting losses at the waypoint stop. It's a no win situation for Tesla - they just cannot predict with incomplete info (stop time at waypoint)
  • edited November -1
    @derotam,
    I think there's still hope for alternate routes. In a sense it's already implemented with avoid tolls, ferries..
  • edited December 2019
    Link to tweet? Seems inconsistent with the FSD video showing the car doing a loop (going down highway, exiting, and then going back the other direction.
  • edited November -1
    Seems inconsistent with the FSD video showing the car doing the route where it the car exits highway and then goes back the other direction. I suspect a misunderstanding/communication.
  • edited December 2019
    Continuation from EM: “ Car should autonavigate to destinations based on your calendar. If nothing in calendar, should do work in morning & home in evening. Future versions will guess based on prior patterns (if preference enabled).”
  • edited November -1
    Would it work to schedule appointments for yourself at each of the desired waypoints?
  • edited December 2019
    I mean I don't understand the logic of this and am quiet disappointed. Not EVERYTHING is about battery management. Sometimes you just have journeys with multiple stops, to do different things and you want to know how long the various legs will take, or what the alternative routes are traffic delays etc. Not everything in an electric car is about obsessive battery anxiety and management, it's just about life and convenience and things unrelated to the battery. Maybe if I am the CEO of three companies every minute of my day is schedule in my calender and it rules my life. But for me my personal calendar is pretty empty even though I have loads of chores and errands to run at the weekend.

Multi stop and alternative routes are already part of the Google maps framework that the tesla system is directly using. These features are being removed ir nkt supported by Tesla which is dissapounting. The consequence is i usually also run google maps on my phone at the same time. I find it sad that tesla won't allow these features, or allow say android-auto to at least make it more integrated.
  • edited December 2019
    "I feel Tesla does not have the full data to reliably chart a plan for multiple stops - when the time at a waypoint affects range, and when Tesla has no control on the time car is stopped, how can they plan for the losses/route?"

They don't. No need to make it complex. Assume, as all Navs do that it is a waypoint, a place you are driving through and provide the info based on that, pretty simple stuff. Telling you what Rated Range will be at end of the trip is all Tesla does now. Adding a waypoint doesn't change that.

It would be great if Tesla did provide EV based mapping. Showing range based on Estimated or Rated. EcoMapping as we see in Toyota Prius for example, providing the most range friendly route.
  • edited December 2019
    @vmulla: Problem with your theory... you say ""I feel Tesla does not have the full data to reliably chart a plan for multiple stops - when the time at a waypoint affects range, and when Tesla has no control on the time car is stopped..."

Yes this is true, but is no different than someone driving to the next supercharger when their 5 year old suddenly says they have to go to the bathroom and you have to stop at the next available restroom facility. Tesla can't plan for that either.

With that said, I do agree that people will complain no matter what so it is a lose lose for any company attempting to make people happy.
  • edited December 2019
    vmulla: the problem is also valid for an ICE vehicle. Volvo or Subaru can’t guess whether you need to fill up or make a quick stop to pick up your dry cleaning. Not to mention trafic along the route.
  • edited December 2019
    I'm fully on board with you, howardtripp. Indeed, range is not an issue MOST of the time for me. Once, trying Navigate to a familiar place, M3 followed a circuitous route through a residential neighborhood. Next time it took a different odd route, to a mud road, so I took over. Next time it went residential again on different streets. Street and traffic conditions were definitely not the reason, but apparently the shortest route, at least as far as it knew at the moment. This definitely looks like weakness vs other mappers. You know, I could care less about game and movie capabilities, but really do care about road and traffic conditions. Will the mass market really accept the lack of alternate routing over the long term?
  • edited November -1
    Things I miss in nav:

Search along Route. Find all Starbucks along Route. Show me distance or time to arrival and distance off Route. I’m ok with selecting it as new destination instead of way point.

List of sc along Route. Distance to sc and amenities at sc.
  • edited December 2019
    jallred: your last point can be solved with A Better Route Planner, now available as an app, at least for the iPhone. Don’t know about other brands/makes.
    Of course, I too would like to see something similar directly on the car’s map.
  • edited December 2019
    Agreed. I suppose we may be invited to pay for such full service maps some day.
  • edited December 2019
    Before people get in an uproar over this can anyone explain how the route in the demo video is pulled off without being able to "create" a route?

• edited December 2019
    Not me.
  • edited December 2019
    Tesla does a lot of the stuff it does, not because Tesla does not know how to do it. Not because it may be expensive. Most of the stuff they do NOT do, is to keep them out of frivolous lawsuits from half witted humans that IMMEDIATELY want to point blame at Tesla.

Just refer to the other post today about the person that rear ended a car. Simply because he wasnt paying attention and was distracted.
  • edited December 2019
    I think Magic 8 Ball has hit the nail on the head. Obviously, waypoints are required for the route driven in the FSD video that he linked to. This suggests that Musk's flat rejection of waypoints in the navigation system is not due to technological reasons. It's marketing. It will be part of FSD. And you'll have to pony up for it.
  • edited December 2019
    I'm not techy, so pardon an implausible question, but is there any chance the display could be software-update-enabled to show our phone display via the USB input?
  • edited December 2019
    Tesla is a data company.
  • @M8B - Before people get in an uproar over this can anyone explain how the route in the demo video is pulled off without being able to "create" a route?

The entire video is CGI and nothing is real?
  • edited December 2019
    Yup, fake factory, fake cars, fake Musk, all fake.
  • Kinda like "how did they do this"?