Model S

Tesla Ripped me off and will not do anything about it!

edited November -1 in Model S
Tesla is hitting new lows. Back on December 15th I stopped to charge my car and get a cup of coffee. I plugged my car in and got my coffee and came back 15 minutes later. My car had stopped charging and had a message on my console saying my car was not plugged in and to reattach the cord. So I unplugged and left. Later I discovered they charged me a idle fee for the 15 or so minutes I was there. After trying to reach them for over a month and leaving messages and sending support messages on the owner page of the web site I finally got through by calling the emergency road side assistance number. They passed me on to another support line and ultimately they refused to get rid of the idle fee. They said it does not matter why the car stopped charging, even if it is a malfunction of the charger you will still be charged idle fees!

BTW I have stopped at this charge since and on several occasions I got the same error and had to move my car to a different charge before my car would charge.

So is this a new way for Tesla to make money? Have the charge unexpectedly stop charging and then charge you idle fees?

Comments

• edited November -1
    How much did you have to pay in idle fees?
  • edited November -1
    It is only about $9 but it is the principle. Why should I have to pay when their equipment malfunctioned?
  • edited January 2020
    @bill
    you probably won't like my comments but...

1. the idle fee is not a revenue generator. It is a deterrent for idling. And it worked. You didn't let it happen the next time you went back. That benefits all the others in line at the SC

2. you are probably putting more than $9 of energy into it. I understand the "principal" part. Late fees and such are my pet peeve too.

Let it go.
  • edited November -1
    I haven't charged but recently after the software update, I do not get the charge complete message or approaching the limit message. But when I reached home and my phone connected to Wi-Fi then all the messages poping up.
    My data is on and I have given access to Tesla APp to consistently use the data....as same as before when the messages were showing.on my phone..but recent update on the car seems to be not generating those messages through the car's LTE connection . When car connects to Wi-Fi then messages start poping up.
  • edited November -1
    Many people have reported getting their first idle fee waived when they are in for their next service.

I'd be willing to bet the next time you are in for service, they will give you a $9 credit. If you have to, take out a loan to cover the $9 until then, and ask for credit for the $9 plus interest at your next service visit.
  • edited January 2020
    “‘Tis the way of things.” - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • edited January 2020
    Are you that guy who shakes the vending machine violently like you were the Hulk? All to chase that $0.75 bag of chips. Should have called that 800 service number.
  • edited November -1
    This is the Business We've Chosen

-Hyman Roth
  • edited November -1
    @PD +1 because he just went gangsta on us!
  • edited January 2020
    Solution.
    You should go steal $9 worth of coffee from service center.
    If anyone confronts you, use your rage....and tell them... George got ripped off. George is getting very mad.

Jerry or Elaine will bail you out.
  • edited November -1
    You could contest the charge with your CC provider, but you may run into trouble in the future when you go to charge.
  • edited January 2020
    I had a similar experience last week. I wasn’t watching my app that closely and when I got back to the car it was finished, 5 of 8 chargers in use. 15 minutes later I got 3 text messages telling me charging almost done, charging done idle fees may apply, idle fees applying. Was a little pissed as I never leave my car idle. A few minutes later I get an email saying first offense waved.
  • edited November -1
    Tesla needs to use common sense. Why just piss off customers. The intent is for people not to purposely leave their car plugged in after charging is finished and if they do fine them. Not to trip people up and charge them on a malfunction. I don't care if it is only $9. That being said you should make sure your car is actually charging before leaving it. And no I have never had an idle fee. I know the guys at the service center and I believe if this happened to me they would waive the charge. If I was the OP I would try asking at your local service center.
  • edited January 2020
    The operators in Draper, UT unfortunately don't seem to have the latitude to fix even small financial issues. And escalation often seems to get lost by the wayside. I have had mistaken idle charges credited back to me, but couldn't seem to get a small, errant supercharger charge on a FUSC car removed. I just evened the score with a local fill-up and got over it.
  • edited November -1
    Oh boy.
  • edited January 2020
    It's really inconsiderate of Tesla to not stop the train - everything they are doing to refund $9. Who do they think they are !! Don't they understand how far someone can drive on $9 ? tsk tsk. I'm ready to contribute to a Gofundme account.
  • edited January 2020
    :-)
  • edited January 2020
    I'll volunteer to cover the whole $9 ito the Gofundme account if it will keep the whiners away.
  • edited November -1
    sentabo, roflmao
  • jjsjjs
    edited November -1
    OP I agree with the principal of it. Yes.
    Unfortunately a more agree with those that call for perspective. As frustrating as this may be, you are asking a company who just increase sales/shipments by 50% year over year, in a highly capital intensive industry, against all odds, against all the "professional experts" predictions of failure, an unprecedented achievement, to put in place procedures to seamlessly, politely return your $9. The probably will someday. Right now, they have bigger fish to fry.

Trust me, I have PLENTY of things I COULD be upset about regarding Tesla and different interactions I have had. But on balance, when I step back and look at what they are doing, and how fast they are doing it, I just marvel at the effort, smile, and buy another Tesla.
    Cybertruck anyone?

Stay calm and carry on.
  • jjsjjs
    edited January 2020
    "..I more agree..."
  • edited January 2020
    I suggest that Bill start drinking decaf and chill. If that doesn't work donate his S to charity.
  • edited January 2020
    @jjs, my Dutch friend/colleague who resides in the UK gave me a “Keep Calm and Carry On” plaque a decade ago, which has followed me around all my Bay Area jobs. An Ops thing.

It might be as appropriate today as it was in ‘39. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On
  • edited November -1
    pdev | January 4, 2020
    I suggest that Bill start drinking decaf and chill. If that doesn't work donate his S to charity.

Good call on the donation. He could get a great return on his $9 investment with the tax write off.
  • edited November -1
    bill, I think its time to say this. No one's laughing at you for your frustration. We are in the same frustration boat as you. Its just not happening/happened to us recently so we are just poking a little fun. You've been around here a long time now. If we didn't love ya, we wouldn't pick on you a little. We love ya bro. And you are right.