General

Unexpected acceleration claim process?

Comments

• edited March 2
    Yes, Tesla is SO "shady" OMG.

Ohh and you can build your own EDR retrieval cable, reference here https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/tesla-event-data-recorder-access-by-can.6175/page-2#post-199280
  • edited March 2
    Tesla is shady? I love it. Dont mind all the tech companies selling your information for profit.

Dont mind tech companies that track your location even with location services off and sell that info.
    Dont mind facebook creating a shadow profile of you, even if you dont have an account, to track your behavior and sell the data for profit.

Tesla is so shady.
  • edited March 4
    It was REALLY HARD finding one without Orange...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/023/107/droid.jpg
  • edited March 6
    Status update today from the Tesla shop customer manager:
    "I just wanted to keep you in the loop. I have not received the review as of yet, but once I received, I’ll send it to you."

Damn nice of him to give me updates. Paying it forward.
  • edited March 30
    OK, so I finally got the final report from Tesla, and the sensor report for the crash is quite ludicrous :

"According to the vehicle's diagnostic log, in the seconds before the incident, the vehicle was gradually slowing, the accelerator pedal and brake pedal were released, and the steering wheel was turned sharply to the right. Then, while the vehicle was traveling at approximately 5 mph, the accelerator pedal was manually pressed, and over about one second, the accelerator pedal was manually increased from approximately 0% to as high as 100%. The vehicle speed appropriately increased in response to the driver’s manual accelerator pedal application during this time. Less than one second later, as the vehicle speed was appropriately increasing in response to the driver’s manual accelerator pedal input, the accelerator pedal was briefly released (for less than 1 second) and then the brake pedal and accelerator pedal were simultaneously pressed, the Anti-Lock Braking System engaged, and signals indicative of an impact were triggered. The accelerator pedal was then released, the brake pedal remained manually depressed, and the vehicle came to a stop.
    "
    As noted, I was release-ING the accelerator, and not touching the brake at all. The wording is not accurate, but close. I turned sharply into a parking spot while doing around 5-7 mph. Correct. But then they claim the gas pedal was pressed "approximately 0% to as high as 100%. " What %? They have this data! ... Then "the brake pedal and accelerator pedal were simultaneously pressed"... (So I was driving with my 2 feet????)
    And finally " the accelerator pedal was then released, the brake pedal remained manually depressed"

Only by using each foot on each pedal can this be accomplished. I use one foot - ALWAYS. A bug in the system must have caused the sensors to fail, which would have signaled the car to go nuts on me. This is clearly BS.
  • edited March 30
    From the description alone it sounds like one(1) of two(2) scenarios occurred:

1) You were attempting to brake while pulling into the parking spot but mistook the accelerator pedal for the brake, which you momentarily applied increasing pressure to to slow the travel of the car (as one would when they realized they weren't slowing) before you realized that you weren't slowing and first released, then reapplied pressure to BOTH the accelerator and brake pedals simultaneously by accident in a panic, causing the car to lurch forward before the inherent failsafe safety features responded by stopping the car

...or...

2) You attempted to speed up pulling into the parking spot by momentarily applying increasing pressure on the accelerator before raising your foot in favor of applying pressure to the brake to slow the car, but misplaced your footing and applied pressure to BOTH pedals by accident in a panic instead, causing the failsafe safety features to respond by stopping the car.

In either scenario it still comes down to "user error" due to anxiously misplaced footing and not some "...bug in the system...."

It happens, even in ICE's, sorry for your misadventure.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1ArwrVnL5voAM/giphy.gif
  • edited March 30
    @blueadept

Nope. Wrong on both counts. You need to be wearing some sort of clown shoes, or bend your foot awkardly to manage pressing both the brake and accelerator simultaneously using 1 foot. Much less depress both 100%.
    That's precisely why there's a standard design.

https://cozero.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Model-S-3-pedal-set.png

Bug. NHTSA is on top of this.
  • edited March 30
    @rafamis

Pedal spacing in Tesla's are the same as in ICE's.

Regardless people do, on occasion, make the mistake of pressing both even though they might've only been trying to press the one. Like I said, it happens and, unfortunately, it has happened to you.

We're always looking for someone, or something, to scapegoat for our little indiscretions or misadventures when, time and time again it ultimately proves to be that the fault is our own.

Perhaps next time you should let Tesla "AutoPark" the car for you?:

• edited March 30
    @rafamis

>> "NHTSA is on top of this."

Yeah, they've proven to be so reliable in the past (he says sarcastically)....
  • edited March 30
    Again, sorry you wrecked your car.
  • SOSO
    edited March 30
    I have one pair of shoes with slightly thicker soles and that caused me to push the wrong pedal a couple different times. Mainly because I don’t move my foot very far from accelerator to brake and push the left side of the accelerator and right side of the brake. Normally not an issue except with my one pairs of shoes. Now I find I need to be more careful with those shoes.
  • SOSO
    edited March 30
    One day I was driving with those shoes and was going to brake for a squirrel (no one behind me) and instead I sped up dramatically!! At first I thought holy crap, maybe those posters are right about the unintended acceleration!!! Then a half second later I realized, nope....it was me.

I have one time hit the wrong pedal on my gas vehicle due to wearing bulky boots but the difference is that it doesn’t have the instant acceleration and it makes a loud noise when stepping on the gas pedal which is a trigger to release the pedal.
  • edited March 30
    @rafamis, I am sorry again for your accident, but it does seem like it was an occurrence of mistaken pedal application. Also, the pedals are not more than a foot width apart so yes it is possible to press both simultaneously. Go and measure the spacing if you don't believe us. It would be unsafe for the pedals to be that far apart.
  • edited November -1
    "Then "the brake pedal and accelerator pedal were simultaneously pressed"... (So I was driving with my 2 feet????)
    And finally " the accelerator pedal was then released, the brake pedal remained manually depressed"

Only by using each foot on each pedal can this be accomplished."

This intrigued me, so I just went to the garage and sat in my Model S to see for myself. I have a smaller than average foot for a man - wear a size 7-1/2 shoe - and found that my foot easy depressed both pedals but tended to slide from one to the other depending on how my foot hit them.

It seems to me that you are simply refusing to acknowledge that you could have, and did, hit both pedals at once and then your foot moved from one to the other as you reacted to the cars behavior.
  • edited March 31
    My 2012 S has an alert when I hit both pedals. Happens multiple times a day. Annoys my wife when she is in the car. Beeps!

I’m an 11 shoe.

If you hit both pedals, the Tesla will stop. Sounds like you hit the wrong one.
  • edited March 31
    The last time I went to the beach, my feet looked very much like everyone else's. Maybe I have high arches, but that's it. I tried depressing both pedals 100% with a single foot. Unless I twist my ankle 90' and risk a a cramp, I can't manage it.

@Yodrak, you have proven my point. You have to purposefully bend your body awkwardly to even attempt accomplishing this.

Perhaps none of the Tesla cultists cared to notice, but the standard brake pedal rests higher than the accelerator for a reason. You're not supposed to be able to fully depress both at the same time (with 1 foot). This is what the crash report implies.

Some of you must be experiencing some sort of selective convenience dyslexia. I recommend you try reading the crash report text a few times.

BTW @blue adept Sounds like you're one of those people who think the NHTSA, CDC, EPA, Ombudsman etc are nothing but leftist governmental bloat and should be further gutted. If so, you should be driving a Hummer or an lifted F350.
  • edited March 31
    “What would the zombie apocalypse be like if we only had verbal descriptions of zombies, but could never show them"

https://www.wired.com/story/first-denial-then-fear-covid-19-patients-in-their-own-words/ and Tesla Apologists and Cultists.

Great car. Has a ton of flaws and the manufacturer is kinda rotten.

I rest my case
  • edited March 31
    @SO

Poor squirrel. :(
  • edited March 31
    @rafamis

Pedal spacing and positioning are an industry standard employed by every mass market automaker around the world including Tesla Motors. Don't believe me? Go compare your Tesla's pedal placement with that of an ICE's pedal placement and see for yourself that they are the same.

>>> "...selective convenience dyslexia...."

I think your ego might be experiencing an incidence of 'cognitive dissonance' as it seems to have manufactured this alternative perception of reality that is 'projecting' the fault onto the inanimate object, your car, as a means of displacing the responsibility of the actual culprit, 'you'.

Be it an involuntary defense mechanism intent on protecting your apparently fragile psyche or merely the artifice of someone intent on displacing the guilt for their actions because they've not yet developed the rationalization tools necessary for acknowledging and accepting the blame for their misstep (see what I did there), it still indicates that you might well be a wee bit...

https://media.giphy.com/media/10W5SDXRta2Jri/giphy.gif

Part of being a grown up is learning to accept the responsibility for your own actions, it's what the cool kids refer to as "adulting"...Perhaps you should read up on the widespread practice?!
  • edited April 1
    @Yodrak, you have proven my point. You have to purposefully bend your body awkwardly to even attempt accomplishing this."

No, I do not have to purposely bend my body at all to hit both pedals at the same time. Nothing in my post indicated anything like that.
  • edited April 1
    @rafimis: I am sorry you are in denial of geometry.

Pedal spacing is 3". My 6yr old daughters boot is wider than 3 inches. You do not have to contort your foot in order to accidentally press both pedals.
  • edited April 1
    Wow. User error strikes again. Just as we explained for the last three pages.

Problem solved.
  • edited April 6
    Some Tesla cultists so desperately need this to be 'user error', that their reading comprehension levels seem to drop to grade school levels. I bet the urge to rebuke with unsolicited opinion causes acute onset dysgraphia. If you experience such an absolutely unmanageable urge to post your inept conclusions, at least please read twice (or thrice) before arguing an utterly moot point (facepalm).

https://gph.is/1Pmou1K

The brand you love so much will not go under just because some bugs are discovered after they've caused a few accidents. Will it affect your stock? Probably less so than the upcoming coronavirus recession.
  • edited November -1
    @rafamis Can you provide something other than opinion and unconfirmed unvalidated hyperbole'?