Model 3

Anti Tesla Sentiment

I recently viewed a video online of some young adults trying to Vandalize a Tesla that was charging in sentry Mode.It seemed like they targeted the car because it was
a Tesla. Didn't seem like electrocution was an issue with them, They must have a lot of faith in Tesla Engineering.
It got me to thinking about some of the reactions I had when I first Purchased my Model 3. I got Shade from my coworkers and even more comments on how EV's where BS and How my EV's burn even more fossil fuels, Etc. I have never purchased a car and had so many negative and aggressive reactions to the purchase. There is a whole camp out there that hates Tesla. They would rather hear the exhaust notes of a CMBE then think of the consequence to our environment and they spare no words in letting me know it.
Fact of the matter is. The feeling is mutual, Because when I have a motorcycle or car pull up to me with extra Loud Exhaust pipes I want to get out of my car and punch them in the face, Literally. to me its obnoxious and with good reason, You are forcing me to have to listen to your Bullsh-t. There are not two consenting parties, There is the loud obnoxious a-hole vrooom vroom vroom! and the people in proximity of the A-hole who may not share the enthusiasm for an extra Loud exhaust system purposefully installed for the sole purpose of letting everyone around you know that you are in fact present(https://southpark.cc.com/clips/254813/brub-brrub-brrrrub)
When I see a gas Guzzling performance car that gets 12 miles a gallon, I don't like it, But I sure as hell don't try to vandalize the Car because of it.

Where does all this Tesla Hate come from?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I have wondered this as well, a lot of seems to come from the (far?) right, who feel that Tesla is getting government handouts in the form of tax credits, and it conflicts with the whole drill baby drill thing. Never mind that we subsidize gas and oil in the US.. One would think they would look at the American innovation, and what Tesla has accomplished. I had my car for less than 6 months before someone ran into it with a cart in a parking lot, I was naive at the time, and thought maybe it was an accident, but after seeing video after video of vandals, and the need for Tesla to release sentry mode, I now longer think that. I just wish sentry mode was a thing when it happened
  • edited November -1
    I feel ya 100%. My best and most succinct answer is simply that historically ignorance leads people to truly terrible things. Vandalizing and hating on Tesla is minor compared to the other stains in history, but it’s nonetheless maddening and sad to see.
  • edited November -1
    I agree, to a degree, with @SGWEBB.
    I think it has more to do with people and their comfort zones. Think about it, for an entire century, we were us to gasoline engines. And now we are being told that we have been doing it wrong. No one wants to admit to being wrong.
  • edited November -1
    Its also the self driving I think, not just the electric. People are also scared of the changes that come with millions of jobs becoming obsolete very quickly IMO.
  • edited November -1
    I have noticed a strange phenomena.
    People under the age of 35, out riggt love the technology.
    People over the age if 65, understand that we need to move towards Renewables.
    The 35 -65 year olds are the HATERS. And dont want to change and move forward.

I am obviously generalizing the age groups. But in my 3 plus years of owning EVs and Partial EVs, this is what I have come across.
  • edited January 2020
    @Pg3ibew It is funny because I am turning 47 tomorrow so I fit in the hate age group on your list :) . My daughter who is just turned 22 does not trust the self driving aspect at all, but thinks EVs are cool and good for the environment
  • Keep in mind that loud exhaust on a motorcycle is a type of safety feature. Very often a car will change lanes without realizing there is a motorcycle in the blind spot. The loud noise brings awareness to others sharing the road to hopefully avoid a fatal accident.

That being said, a lot of folks are jealous and envious of people who chose to drive a Tesla. When these feelings bubble up, there is no telling what anti social behavior will come of it.
  • edited November -1
    @SGWEBB, I am 52. And right in the middle of that spectrum as well. Of course, I generalized a bit. But being a guy with 26 and 27 year old sons, All their friends LOVE the idea. Being a guy with parents in their 80s, All of their friends GET IT and understand the need to do better. It is the clowns around our age that Always seem to have some sort of wise crack or HATE.
    Again, just my totally non scientific views.
  • edited November -1
    And do not get me wrong, there are people in that middle group that are totally on board, like you and I.
  • edited January 2020
    I reserved my m3 day 1 and that was only learning 3 mos earlier that fully electric cars were even a thing. I did not even know what a Tesla was, or a leaf, i3 etc. I knew about the Volt and that was as far as it went. I ordered the 3 because I really liked the tech, made in America, and felt that it was the future. Lack of co2 was about 13 on my list of reasons. No carbon monoxide was more of a selling point. I am a conservative and too roll my eyes with the biased fake news reporting out there picking and choosing their facts. Lots of good points above. Loosing the tax credit would not have changed my mind about my purchase and oil and coal receive huge subsidies. Id like to see them level the playing field. Best purchase I have ever made.
  • edited November -1
    Hate like ignorance knows no label or group or identity.
  • edited January 2020
    @eandmjep, I 100% agree. I was an in line day 1 reservation holder. However on my end I wanted a Tesla since the first Roadster, though I just could not justify spending that much for a car, the most I have spent for a car before the M3 was about $20k , I just don't drive enough, and the depreciation hit on cars are HUGE, but I took that hit and bought the long range, and EAP because I also really wanted to autopilot. It is the best car I have ever owned, and everything I had ever dreamed of.. I will fully admit AP/FSD is not fully there yet, but it is getting close, and so relaxing on the congested highway on my way into the office... now when I drive an ICE car, it feels old and outdated
  • edited January 2020
    Weak minded, low character people with little to no self-esteem are easily threatened. It helps if the deplorable is also of low intelligence, which has a high statistical probability of being the case.

Of course these types are easy prey for greasy liars and con artists who feed their fears for whatever agendas they might have - think Alex Jones of "Infowars", Fox News presenters, NewsMax, and like cretins - who work them into a frenzy on a daily basis. Many Russians are also involved in the effort.
  • edited January 2020
    Lonestar10_1999, the motorcycle is mostly heard after it passes. Drivers of cars do not hear the motorcycle sound and know where it is coming from. Evidence is the high mortality raters for motorcycle drivers, mainly killed by collisions with cars, in which the drivers never heard them or saw them.

If sound would help, there would never have been a Harley rider killed on the road.
  • edited January 2020
    There are many abstract things that could make people Tesla haters. What hits close to home is that people's vehicles are often their most or second most valuable possession. Something that is so different and improved could render their vehicle obsolete and drop in value. That is not theoretical. https://www.capitalone.com/cars/learn/finding-the-right-car/the-tesla-effect-how-tesla-is-changing-the-used-car-game/1096

It's kind of like NIMBYs who want to preserve the value of their real estate property.
  • edited January 2020
    @Tranz, thanks for the article.
  • edited January 2020
    Where does the “hate”/envy come from? Elon used high priced niche vehicles to obtain the cash to mass market the 3. Many people still see Tesla as the rich “more money they know what to do with” person’s car. Jealousy, misunderstanding of affordability. As for the motorcycle that old thing about the Harley’s pipes saving them is unrealistic and just wrong and the pipes mostly just disturb the peace.. The motorcycle rider whose lane is being invaded has the agility to avoid. I winter in FL and left turners is what kills most riders. Those folks approaching in the opposite direction never hear the exhaust before they cut off the bike.
  • edited January 2020
    Some Tesla drivers feed the problem. I had a model S pass me on a rural road, then promptly go 2x the speed limit. I was driving my Audi at the time (speed limit +5mph). Our cars are fast and it takes a certain level of maturity to drive responsibly. Bit like the reputation BMW M cars have. So yeah, there's people out there that think we're all rich self-entitled jerks. But, for every one of them, there's 10 that are curious about our cars. I can't tell you how many times I've had cars slow down just to look at my car. Some even change lanes to see it from another angle.
  • edited January 2020
    Let's face it, the MSM as a whole (and not just the cretins at Fox and in Russia) have painted a bad picture of Tesla owners. They pick on the 1% of owners who have done some seriously stupid things...like sleeping while driving on autopilot, running stop lights and signs, and not understanding the limitations of the technology. When only these things get press, then people form the wrong opinions. The average Joe on the street can't afford to drive one and can't understand why someone would own such a car. We're possibly categorized as elitist by mistake and now have a target on our back. Just one persons view who doesn't just watch the MSM and forms opinions based on research and not what I'm told.
  • edited January 2020
    I know anti-ICE persons
    Me
  • edited January 2020
    I have a somewhat different take on the haters. Being a long-time Prius driver, Priuses were definitely hated upon by the people running around with modified diesel pick-up trucks and such.
    But it was a bit strange: Lots of people drive foreign cars; most vehicles built in the 'states have large percentages of foreign built components. So, why all the hate?
    First clue: when Prius Gen II first hit the market, here was this odd-looking car that got ridiculously good gas mileage. The other auto companies did not have a good answer to this and saw sales of their small cars start to drop. Honda made what became a failed attempt to emulate the Prius with the Insight; other manufacturers put a starter motor (more or less) on the flywheel and would call that a, "Hybrid", ha. And then.. there were the ads. Showing powerful ICE cars passing low-powered hybrids (Insights, as it happened.. They were low powered) on uphills.
    And that was when, in New Jersey, I started getting cut off by cars with high horsepower and many, many reports of people getting smoked in their Priuses by pick-up trucks.
    People over in Prius Chat land started wondering about all this as well. And took electronic road trips to forums where the hate was spewing. They found:
    1. People who ate the there-is-no-climate-change-meme bait, hook, line, and sinker. And believed that it was all an un-American plot.
    2. Operatives from somewhat shady organizations pushing this view.
    Conclusion: Big Oil, the Koch Brothers (as p/o Big Oil), and ICE manufacturers feeling the pain were stirring up the uneducated as much as they could. Anything to slow down a lower-profit future. And Priuses were from Japan! For the rabble rousers, an unAmerican bonus!
    The same maniacs are going after Tesla. They can't play the foreign card, but they're sure going after Tesla any way they can.
    Yeah, there are certain people around here who call me a conspiracy theory type. But, well.. Look at FISH. Or ask M8B about the shorties who used to inhabit these forums in droves. Or look at CNBC and wonder why they keep on spewing as much FUD. Personally, I think it's all of a piece.
    Now, I'm not saying that people will hate. Because that's what people will do, naturally. And there's people out there who hate people who walk, or ride bikes, or don't look the same as they do; welcome to the human condition.
    But there are entities, primarily corporate entities, who will push buttons to enhance profits if they can. They get their memes out there and try to slow down the existential threat that Tesla is to their bottom line by any means that they can.
  • edited January 2020
    People hate what they ignore
    Or can’t understand
  • edited January 2020
    It’s Tesla’s fault. They don’t advertise and educate the public. When I bought my sr+ almost all the people I know said to me “wow, did you win money? How can you afford a Tesla?” They have no clue.

But seriously. Lots and lots of people are going to lose their jobs if electric vehicles take over. If I had a job that depended on oil and gas, I too would hate Tesla.
  • edited January 2020
    @PteRoy: And there were the Luddites who couldn't stand machines that could weave cloth. And buggy whip manufacturers who shrank hugely or closed down.
    At the now-defunct Boston Computer Museum, while inspecting a triple-refrigerator-sized box of electromechanical gee-wizardry that constituted a 256 K-byte storage unit from the 50's, an older lady walked up next to me and started reminiscing about being young and on the production line for the things. She had skills that were good back then, but she must have picked up something else to do in the meantime.
    The demand for electron-tube-based TV repairmen is very low these days.
    The oil guys are simply going to have to find something else to do, just like everybody else.
  • edited January 2020
    Those who I already described above are also simply not naturally curious about the universe around them, and must be advertised to, etc.... to be forced to actually learn something. It is a side effect of low intelligence.

As with any improvement, there will be jobs that are no longer required. This process began when the first ape picked up a rock and broke open a nut with it.

We invent machines to make our,lives easier. This means less work. Its the reason we do it. We will find a way to live with the results.