Model 3

HW3 upgrade experience

JADJAD
edited November -1 in Model 3
Just picked up my car with the updated hardware. Dropped the car off at 8 am and picked it up at 2 pm same day. The car is almost 2 years old and has never been to service, so they also did a couple of service bulletins during that time. The car is a March 18 build. My August 18 build is not yet qualified for the update, so if your car isn't Q1 of 18 I wouldn't bother them yet.

Update went very smoothly. All data was preserved except phone bluetooth. Key still worked, homelink, radio stations, presets, all worked I just had to relink the bluetooth to stream music and get calls.

The visualizations were really nice. I never realized how many lights most intersections have. 5+ would showing up accurately on the limited test and I think it worked smoother in AP, but it worked well before so maybe it was just all the trash cans, cones, turn arrows, bike lanes giving me more confidence. Some cars still disappear at intersections.

Overall, very easy, but nothing really changed to make it a must have yet. Will check in a few months on the other car if I don't hear from them.

Comments

• I would be interested to know if Advanced Summon performance has improved. With HW2.5 it drives like it’s on an acid trip.
  • edited January 2020
    FYI, I lost all of my settings (driver profile, radio stations, EQ settings, NAV destinations, Spotify login, Homelink, etc.) during upgrade.
  • edited November -1
    JAD was your service done at Kearny Mesa?
  • JADJAD
    edited November -1
    I went to Carlsbad for this work.
  • edited November -1
    @JAD, my Mar 2018 Model 3 is on the list
    per my local SC. They have not completed
    Model 3 FSD yet per local tech's. But have done
    a few Model S upgrades. I guess it's CA first and
    rest of the country last.
  • edited January 2020
    @JAD, just wanted to confirm...did you maintain your Trip meter data, if you were using one for a Lifetime value?
  • edited January 2020
    @nwfan: I’m in FL and my Model S is getting the upgrade in a few weeks. Still waiting on the Model 3.
  • JADJAD
    edited November -1
    @derotam, yes, trip data was kept. Also, new visuals showed immediately, no calibration time.
  • edited January 2020
    Nice!
  • edited January 2020
    Q1 2018 build, FSD purchased with car, haven't been contacted yet. Bummer, because now it will be inconvenient to get it done until late May. Enjoy your upgrades folks!
  • JADJAD
    edited January 2020
    @Kathy, I am guessing it will be more convenient in May as the rangers will probably be doing to install instead of the service center. Seeing lights and cones is cool, but you really can live without it, at least until the true feature complete FSD is released... AP in the city will be very cool.
  • edited January 2020
    We have a confirmed late Jan appointment with a mobile ranger doing the upgrade on our Model 3.
  • edited November -1
    Acid trip, acid trip? Lonestar, how do you know about these things?
  • @Patrick, you can count on the mobile ranger being cancelled and you being asked to come into an SC. Might not happen, but if I were a betting man, I would put money on it.
  • edited January 2020
    Q4 2017 build here, and im not even on the list to upgrade.
  • edited January 2020
    Just got our M3 (VIN 00138x) back. All settings and connections are intact, as are the trip odometers.

Visualization of signals, but the images of the signals are so tiny as to not be useful, at least till you're right in front of the signal.

Anxiously awaiting the next software version. (Currently on 40.50.7.).
  • edited January 2020
    @rxlawdude, May I ask how long the service took and what city you live in?
  • edited January 2020
    Hi All, I am having trouble downloading the software version 2019.40.50.1 since December 2019 - did anyone having the same issues? Amongst my multiple attempts, the downloading bar stated at 99% - I thought oh good, it's almost done...then the bar went back to 50% in the next few minutes...I tried testing the voice commands by saying "drop temperature to 65", or "cancel navigation" both worked...thought?
  • edited March 2020
    My M3 AWD advanced summon has been stuck at "cameras are calibrating" for more than a week after HW3 upgrade. Anyone out there is experience this?
  • edited March 2020
    @phongski that's worth a service appointment.
  • lphlph
    edited March 2020
    Had mine done this morning. Update went well and calibration only took about 10 miles. See construction traffic cones all the time but have yet to see traffic lights.
    Don't know of any other changes to the driving experience.
  • edited November -1
    Had mine done at Owings Mills, MD SC this morning. Took 3.5 hrs. Most settings were lost (driver profiles, media, homelink, navigation history, AP) so you pretty much have to configure you car again. Camera calibration took about 10 miles. New visualizations are nice (cones, trash cans, traffic lights, left/right turn markings on lanes). Noticeable Autosteer improvement on local roads between HW2.5 and HW3 running 2020.4.1.
  • edited March 2020
    I had mine done this morning. Dropped it off at 8am and picked it up in the afternoon. Had the metal piece glued back on the charge port door and the dead fronts replaced as well. It now sees traffic lights but doesn't respond to them, so it fits in with the rest of the traffic here. :)

Tripometer readings stayed as well as my seat settings. Camera calibration completed on the drive home so I was able to use it for most of the drive.

No loaner but got Uber credits. First time I have used Uber. It was actually one of the reasons I scheduled it for today I was going somewhere that didn't have parking. It worked out well. When I grew up I was always told never get in a strangers car and never meet someone from the internet. I now of an app on my phone to summon people from the internet just to get in their car.
  • edited March 2020
    August 2018 build. Got HW3 update while they were fixing a different issue with an oil pump or some such thing.
    I think if you call and ask rather than waiting for them to send you a notification, you'll have better luck.
  • July 2018 build, asked for HW3 upgrade via app, then got a phone call from Tesla service putting me down for early May due to 'lack of parts for the HW retrofit'.