Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

60Kwh Battery Issues, what is enough degrad for a replacment?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2020
    7000 cells, not cycles.
  • edited November -1
    194,000 miles with 9% loss
    Agree with @jr. Battery definitely not “done”
  • edited November -1
    trevor, 85? or 60?
  • edited January 2020
    I just got done with Mobile Service tech, who was very understanding. We talked through the issue, and I think its safe to say that a full range charge of 159 miles seems a bit low (I did a 100% charge last night and got 159RR). Looking through KBs internally he found that it could be a miscalculation error that's common on 30-70SOC before recharge daily. My wife gets home with 30-40% then we charge to 90% when she drives the S, the 3 only needs a charge every 3 days. If that's true, it could be a missing Phantom 20 or so miles RR. We needed to do more tests, but his connection to internal KB articles was not working. So we scheduled a SC appointment to look more into it. A very reasonable explanation IMO. All I really wanted was to know why, and if I am having battery issues. It turns out I might not, but a miscalculation is still an issue that needs to be resolved.

If I had 175 RR at 100% like I had one year ago at 100k miles, I would be accepting, but [email protected]% seems pretty low, unless I'm crazy. I think Tesla is doing a great job, and I understand their hesitation to replace a battery given the expense, but I also want a car that lasts 10 years and while i agree there is an early adoption cost, this is not something I will take lightly.

Thanks everyone for all the replies, you have been very helpful. Hopefully I can get this resolved.
  • edited January 2020
    mgodfre3, hope everything turns out for the best. Please give us an update after our SC visit as it seems you and I are in a very similar boat and I'd be interested to hear how the miscalculation was remedied.
  • edited January 2020
    I have a 2013 60 and my 100% charge gives me 184 miles. (80,000 miles)
  • edited January 2020
    I haven't charged fully in a long time, but my 90% (the last line I think is 90, not 80, right?) is 170 miles.
  • edited November -1
    With reference to what Mobile service said about the calculations being off. That is indeed a common occurrence. The algorithms can get wonky when the SCO gets kept within a narrow range. Think of the battery/algorithms as a rubber. If you keep stretching it to only “x”, over time you forget just how far it can really be stretched. The battery needs to be exercised from time to time.
  • edited January 2020
    Mine does 200. I have 75K miles on my 2013 S60 with type A battery (the first one they made).
  • edited January 2020
    @ TeslaTap.com

"The 60 would need to be charged more often and likely closer to the limits for the same miles driven at the same time as an 85 or other larger battery models. That's one reason the warranty is unlimited for all other Model S variants, ignoring the S40".

Personally i believe the Model S 40 batteries are the least abused because the maximum charge allowed would always be 80% of its capacity - Tesla should not have 125,000 mileage limit on the Model S 40 batteries.
  • edited January 2020
    I have a 2013 60 and my 100% charge gives me 183.62 miles according to Teslafi. (105,536 miles). Rated range 165.34. I charge to 85% daily and 90% top off before I drive to work every morning.
  • edited January 2020
    Last time I asked about a battery replacement, SC said $10,000 to replace but didn't mention what size battery it would be
  • edited November -1
    @Michael

For context, I have a 60kWh from March 2013, battery failed after 1 year and was replaced at about 10k miles.

100% charge for the new battery was 208 miles at a supercharger 203 at home, not sure why they is a difference. Now almost 6 years after the replacement and now at 57k miles 100% charge at supercharger is 196 and at home 193. This drop happened in the first year so i am hopeful 10% is the limit and i pray your experience is an outlier. Good luck!

Kevon