Model 3

regen--brake lights

edited November -1 in Model 3
When the model 3 slows down by regen braking, do the brake lights come on to warn following cars you're slowing down?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Yes
  • edited November -1
    "You can even really see the lights in the image" = "You CAN'T see the lights in the graphic"
  • edited November -1
    OP yes they do.

just ignore the idiot who likes to stare at a GUI while driving to see if his brake lights are on instead of looking at the road like normal people.
  • edited January 16
    Tesla doesn;t need to "fix" anything to be more like the car maker who has the most at fault accidents on their cars.

https://www.johnaldrich-lawfirm.com/blog/2019/08/most-accident-prone-vehicle-is-the-subaru-crosstrek/
  • edited November -1
    Yes
  • edited January 16
    I was curious about this as well, so I tested it on a private road, and the graphic DOES show the lights coming on when using regen, so I assume the lights are coming on as well.
  • edited November -1
    I’m another idiot who looks at the GUI for information. And FISHEV is right, there is only a faint blush difficult to distinguish. Good luck seeing anything at all at night, on the dark GUI.
    And I too would like to see this information more obvious, à la Subaru.
  • edited November -1
    Do you worry about when or if your brake pedal engages the brake lights? Or was downshifting a manual car fraught knowing there were no brake lights? The accelerometer has worked fine for a decade.
  • edited November -1
    On your last car how did you verify the brake lights were coming on? Why do people feel the need to micromanage every aspect of the car? The car handles most everything for you, let it.
  • edited January 16
    No need to assume. Go out and drive at night. Once you hit the threshold deceleration (per statute) you’ll see your lights in the rear view mirror.
  • edited January 17
    I think it's a fair question. If it's one's first car with significant regen, you could reasonably wonder whether the brake lights being tied in is a feature. Years of ICE experience give one confidence that the brake lights are connected to the brake pedal. But regen is something new to many. That is, the question isn't really, "is it working or broken?" It's more like, "is it a feature?"

Answer: yes.
  • edited January 17
    ya my comments were to the fish idiocy not the OP, it was a valid question.
  • edited January 17
    You can pinch-zoom the car on the display until you can see the third brake light just below the rear window. My understanding is that it’s a lot easier to see on white cars than on red cars like mine.
  • edited January 17
    The easiest way to know if your brake light is on. Is regen on? If yes, is there a deceleration force acting on the car? If yes, brake lights are on. Assume they are on if you are decelerating with regen.
  • edited November -1
    Regen is your new brake peddle. Enjoy not wearing down your brake pads.
  • edited January 17
    How many of you survived in your old cars, blows my mind.
  • edited January 17
    Hard to believe anyone made it this far eh?
  • edited January 17
    andy.connor.e | January 17, 2020
    Regen is your new brake peddle. Enjoy not wearing down your brake pads.

Just make sure you service them often. Min is twice a year. I do mine 4 times a year since we have so much salt, sand, and the fact I track the car. You should hear the brake pads brake from the rotors when sitting overnight. It actually sounds like a broke something.
  • edited November -1
    Yep, i live in the northeast lots of salt. Pretty much everyone in my family has one or two of their pads rust every now and then. Very difficult to avoid it. Maybe Tesla should make brake pads out of the 30x cold rolled stainless steel!
  • edited January 17
    Oh, and this is all covered in your owners manual.

Regenerative Braking
    Whenever Model 3 is moving and your foot is
    off the accelerator, regenerative braking slows
    down Model 3 and feeds any surplus energy
    back to the Battery.
    By anticipating your stops and reducing or
    removing pressure from the accelerator pedal
    to slow down, you can take advantage of
    regenerative braking to increase driving range.
    Of course, this is no substitute for regular
    braking when needed for safety.
    Note: If regenerative braking is aggressively
    slowing Model 3 (such as when your foot is
    completely off the accelerator pedal at
    highway speeds), the brake lights turn on to
    alert others that you are slowing down.
    Note: Installing winter tires with aggressive
    compound and tread design may result in
    temporarily-reduced regenerative braking
    power. However, your vehicle is designed to
    recalibrate itself to restore regenerative
    braking power after a short period of normal
    driving.
  • dspdsp
    edited January 17
    Also, something to keep in mind is when you pass someone, allow time and space to clear the car before you let off your accelerator. I have heard that Tesla's are getting a bad reputation for "cutting people off and brake checking them." For us, it's passing a car and letting off the pedal, but to others, because the brakes lights do come on, it looks like an ass move.
  • edited January 17
    @dsp
    Easy to do with a quick acceleration to pass.
  • edited January 17
    dsp -
    That's precisely why I occasionally monitor the brake lights. I know that, because of ...mumble, mumble... years of driving ICE cars with automatics, I have a bad habit of pulling my foot off the accelerator anytime I want to stop accelerating or when I want to cover the brake or for whatever. No big deal on an ICE - someone following me would simply see a slight deceleration - but on the EV I'm sure my brake lights flash a LOT in comparison. I know I'd hate to follow me.
    I try to pay attention to exactly what level of deceleration corresponds to brake lights, so that they communicate effectively with the driver behind me.
  • edited November -1
    It will get better over time as more people become accustomed to how EVs work.
  • edited January 17
    ...or people will learn how drive better. Passing someone and then decelerating once you're in front of them is an ass move. In any car.