General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Solar Roof Progression (UPDATE 5/19)

Comments

• edited November -1
    I also did some research on others questions about interest write off. If the project is considered home improvement that or 'capital improvement' to be precise. Meaning the improvement must increase your home's value, adapt it to new uses, or extend its life. Examples of capital improvements are: adding a third bedroom, adding a garage, installing insulation, landscaping, solar panels and more. You would include this home improvement interest expense under the same section as you would Home Mortgage Interest.

So the solar roof definitely adapts to a new use, and DEFINITELY extends its life. Looks to me like it should fit the criteria for writing off with your mortgage interest. I will keep this in my back pocket to double check with my tax person though.
  • edited March 2020
    OP thread updated to reflect final design pricing. There was apparently another solar incentive that knocked off a couple grand. Always great to have the price drop more than what you expected it to cost.
  • edited March 2020
    Nice! Are you gonna post pics when it is all finished? I know you can’t put them here, but a link to them maybe?
  • edited March 2020
    Im gonna take ALOT of pictures. Granted ill probably be leaving for work and returning outside of their working hours. But each day i'll be snapping photos! Can always upload them to Imgur
  • edited March 2020
    Gonna need as much evidence as possible so i can convince my stubborn anti-different family that there is an alternative to a shingles roof lmao
  • edited March 2020
    I've been trying to find a source that has a record of the actual hours of sunlight for the day, accounting for clouds and such. Does anyone know where you can get this data? Or if this data even exists? I've been looking for a while.
  • edited March 2020
    This shows the potential for each geographic area.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/solar/where-solar-is-found.php
  • edited March 2020
    2109 was the first year I've seen solar production go down but it is in line with climate predictions and weather results, warmer and wetter.

https://imgur.com/6Kg5zvk
  • edited November -1
    i have also not seen solar production go down since 2210. But im looking for a location that has the actual record. Not an estimate.
  • edited March 2020
    Ah...you mean someone actually measured the solar energy for each area and built a map based on the data?
  • edited March 2020
    @andy.conner.e: So maybe these resources might help. I have kind of wanted what you want as well but determined for myself that a reasonable estimate was good enough for me. I settled with what PVWATTS gave me here https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ but I just tracked the source data that goes into that which led me to here https://sam.nrel.gov/weather-data.html I don't have time right now to look further but it looks like that might get you at least closer to what you want.
  • edited March 2020
    Ya i mean literally, someone has a light sensor and measures the amount of direct sunlight for the day.
  • edited March 2020
    I wanted to have a graph in my data collector for daylight hours vs actual sunlight hours and power generated as a result.
  • edited March 2020
    "I wanted to have a graph in my data collector for daylight hours vs actual sunlight hours and power generated as a result."

SolarEdge system has a great app for tracking your solar power. You'll get power even on cloudy days. The graphic for the eclipse was interesting. Does Tesla offer an app for tracking? Whose inverter does Tesla use?
  • edited March 2020
    Dude if you're going to comment on my thread please keep the continuity. I dont need a 3rd party app. Teslas app has energy monitoring, i've already looked that up. Im trying to see if i can get total direct sunlight hours measured for the day somewhere, or if thats something im going to have to do myself.
  • edited March 2020
    @andy: wouldn't Irradiance values be more useful? "Direct sunlight hours" doesn't really mean anything by itself. Different areas of the earth will have completely different solar capability per hour of direct sunlight, as will the same area depending on time of year.
  • edited March 2020
    Probably. Then i would have to get an average irradiance for the day compared to the maximum available. Lol, where would you even get that data from?
  • edited March 2020
    From NREL, who I linked to above. NREL - National Renewable Energy Laboratory who maintains the NRSDB(National Solar Radiation Database), which "is a serially complete collection of hourly and half-hourly values of meteorological data and the three most common measurements of solar radiation: global horizontal, direct normal and diffuse horizontal irradiance."
  • edited March 2020
    @derotam

Theres a shitload of data in the program i downloaded. The problem is when i downloaded my area, i dont know what year this is referring to, or if its an average of each day of the year over all years.
  • edited March 2020
    Looks like its a typical year.
  • edited March 2020
    I think this is about as good as im going to get unless i put a light sensor outside. I can do comparison graphs based on what i generated vs a typical year. Wow this is getting good! Im going to do graphs comparing recorded vs typical. I might even be able to record degradation!
  • edited March 2020
    "I dont need a 3rd party app. Teslas app has energy monitoring,"

SolarEdge is an inverter mfg, not 3rd party app producer. I was pointing out that other mfg's provide nice apps for monitoring their equipment.

" Im trying to see if i can get total direct sunlight hours measured for the day somewhere"

Several of us posted links to exactly what you are looking for, the solar energy measurements for different geographical areas. The "direct sunlight hours" is kind of meaningless, the links to the various actual measured solar energy in a specific area, which happens in "direct sunlight" or on cloudy days.
  • edited March 2020
    derotams link provided what i need.
  • edited March 2020
    Not enough bonus points to award to @derotam

That link contained EXACTLY what i needed. THANK YOU!!!!!!! If i could buy you a beer, or a coffee, i would buy you 3. THANK YOU AGAIN.

****And Check Out the data tracker. It is complete and ready for solar data.****
  • edited March 2020
    @andy, no problem. I haven't dug into that data too much. I have only used the general averages using the PVWatts calculator. The underlying dataset is too much for my current attention span right now, haha.