General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Solar Roof Progression (UPDATE 5/19)

Comments

• edited March 2020
    He just literally made me respond enough times that he could use the back and forth as an opportunity to advertise SolarEdge.

All Flagged.
  • edited March 2020
    " to advertise SolarEdge."

It appears to be Tesla's No. 1 choice for inverter.
  • edited November -1
    Which inverter was included in your quote?
  • edited March 2020
    Permit documents were signed yesterday!

Remaining hopeful that COVID wont delay the installation.
  • edited March 2020
    Keeping fingers crossed for you Buddy.
    P.S.
    Flagged Stinky Fish advertising
  • edited November -1
    "Remaining hopeful that COVID wont delay the installation."

You really should hope it does. Having a crew of people working around your house right now is not safe for you or them.
  • edited March 2020
    I had my HVAC guy service my system week ago with no problem. He was wearing mask, gloves and carried my used filters in sealed bag.
  • edited November -1
    They will never enter the house. It will be fine.
  • edited March 2020
    andy.connor.e | March 28, 2020 They will never enter the house. It will be fine.

But "they" will be risking their lives and their families lives. It's not all about you. They have kids at home with no school. They have older parents who need to stay home so they have to get them food and make sure they are OK.

Let them take the Unemployment Insurance, stay home, stay safe and help the country lower the infection so we can really get back to work.
  • edited March 2020
    @andy.connor.e - I too am waiting for a solar roof installation but mine will not be done in the immediate future as I want the slate version which is not yet in production.

Here in Virginia an attic temperature will exceed 140 degrees in the summer. I have an attic fan which significantly reduces attic temperatures. I am aware the roof tiles will not be installed in direct contact with the plywood roofing material due to the electrical connections on the underside of the tiles. Has Tesla suggested that you have an attic fan (mounted through the tiles) to keep your attic cooler? Thanks.
  • edited November -1
    @TeslaTap - is your project done? How much power is it generating? Any way you can post a photo of the final product?
  • edited November -1
    FISHEV, yes let the whole country take unemployment and see what happens.
  • edited November -1
    grins.va | March 29, 2020 Here in Virginia an attic temperature will exceed 140 degrees in the summer. I have an attic fan which significantly reduces attic temperatures. I am aware the roof tiles will not be installed in direct contact with the plywood roofing material due to the electrical connections on the underside of the tiles

Heat definitely lowers the output of solar panels and being black in direct sunlight they get very hot and PV production drops. Regular solar panels stand off the roof a few inches and allow cooling all around while the solar tile cannot dissipate the heat as well. A case of cosmetic look over function.

Also the solar panels above the roof with a 2" air gap shade the roof itself keeping the house cooler and lowering the overall electrical load to cool it.

I went with metal roof as solar panels can be put on it without any roof penetration plus metal roofs last forever so chances of needing to take off solar panels to get at the roof and zero.
  • edited March 2020
    @grins.va

They have not yet suggested anything like that. But i will keep that question in mind when it comes to installation if its something i need. My roof currently has vents along the perimeter bottom and vents at top so im not sure if i would need that.
  • edited November -1
    @noleaf4me - Solar roof is done. Lots of rain and cloudy weather. Rated for 10 kW peak, and I've seen about 6 kW peak so far, but most weather cloudy/raining. Surprised that I've gotten 500 Wh or so in the rain - didn't expect anything. Working on a more detailed writeup and pictures.

The solar roof has some cool design features. It is mounted about 1" off the roof and has vents around the perimeter and in the ridge. It works best if each area of the roof is level. I have one spot with slight dip (the house is 50+ years old) and it's hard to get the tiles perfectly aligned. Likely I'm the only one that notices it, but if you have a very uneven roof structure, it might not look great.

@grins.va - I also sort of liked the idea of slate, but now think it's not quite as good. One, the roof will be very slick and slippery. Even the rough roof version I have is dangerous to walk on if wet. Now few people will get on the roof, but over the years, I end up on the roof more often than I'd expect.

The roof does show some stuff like pollen and leaves a bit more than my prior cement tile roof, but it's not bad. With the slate roof, it any stuff on it will really stand out. It will look great when clean, but after that, I'm not as sure how it will look. On the plus side, the slate roof should be easier to clean and leaves may fly off easier.

Lastly, I was surprised at how much reflection you get off the roof at some sun angles. It is glass, so it makes sense. With the slate-style roof, I'd worry it could be like a mirror and be almost blinding.

So a few pluses and minues.
  • edited March 2020
    @FISHEV - thanks but I am talking about Tesla Solar Glass tiles not panels.

@andy.connor.e - thanks. I have soffit vents too with a ridge vent. The fan moves much more air. Let me know what they say if it comes up.
  • edited March 2020
    Oh, and I'm very happy how it came out. The crew was very thoughtful and worked hard to make it look perfect. It was a lot more work than I expected, but they cleaned up each day and where there were choices to be made, they followed my desires.
  • edited March 2020
    @TT - my colonial would not look very good with a black roof. I have a reasonably steep angled hip roof. I am hoping the slate tiles will work well.
  • edited March 2020
    TeslaTap.com | March 29, 2020 The solar roof has some cool design features. It is mounted about 1" off the roof and has vents around the perimeter and in the ridge"

Do you have solar tiles or Tesla's solar panels. It if is 1 inch "off the roof" then you'd have to have a roof in addition to the solar tiles which I thought replaced the asphalt shingles with the glass "shingles"?
  • edited March 2020
    Glass solar roof tiles replaced a cement tile roof. They strip it to the plywood, install two layers of fire-resistant material on the wood. It seems like a better product than conventional black tar paper. Solar glass tiles have small mounting brackets that hold the tiles up about 1" from the fire-resistant layer. Tiles snap into these brackets. The space also allows for the tile-to-tile wiring.
  • edited March 2020
    TeslaTap.com | March 29, 2020 Glass solar roof tiles replaced a cement tile roof. They strip it to the plywood, install two layers of fire-resistant material on the wood. It seems like a better product than conventional black tar paper. Solar glass tiles have small mounting brackets that hold the tiles up about 1" from the fire-resistant layer."

In order to be waterproof, the solar panels have to be water tight for the entire area of the roof. In that case, while edges may have some ventilation the 1" area under black tile is going to HOT HOT HOT! so the attic areas is going to HOT HOT HOT! The heat on both sides reduces the power output.

Solar panels standoff the actual roof and have a much greater ventilation underneath and run cooler and have better PV production on hot weather.
  • edited March 2020
    Second shift must have shown up at the fish factory. You can tell by the grammar and punctuation.
  • edited March 2020
    The new roof attic should be cooler now with total ridge venting installed as part of the new roof. Previously only had 3 2x10" vents near the ridge, with many vents in the soffits. I'd guess it now has 10 times the in-attic ventilation ability than before with full ridge venting.That's not including the 1" venting system under the solar panels as well. Have to wait until summer to find out though. Typical with the old roof was at least 130F in the summer.
  • edited November -1
    Was just notified that they are not doing installations right now due to government restrictions.
  • edited April 2020
    I have a couple of panels that went out, no repair for the time being either