General

Tesla Supercar - Elon wants one!

edited November -1 in General
Hi guys,
Just saw this online:
http://m.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-supercar/

I posted a topic about a Tesla Supercar a few months back and thought it would be a really good idea for the company's brand.

When you ask most people about Tesla they don't know anything about the company, certainly outside of the USA anyway.
However if you ask the average person if they have ever heard of Bugatti many will reply "Yes they make the fastest car on the road, right?"
Therefore I think Tesla should produce a car that beats the Bugatti in the 0-60 mph or 0-100 mph categories. We all know this is the real thrill in a Supercar, as how often does one do 250+mph (or even 150+ mph) without running the risk of being thrown in jail!
I suggested producing a special edition roadster (this would be faster and less expensive than designing a whole new car) and most tech savvy people here on the forum agreed that it could be possible to do this with modified aerodynamics, a more powerful motor, reinforced chassis, and using the new model S battery cells for an upgraded roadster pack. The Roadster "Supersport" perhaps?

Why?
Because people always seem to know what is the fastest thing out there on the market.
If Tesla were to do this the car would be splashed all over the front of every car magazine out there (and who doesn't glance at the cover of those, or stop to read an article or two, when passing by?)
The brand exposure for Tesla would be huge.
Little boys would take down their Ferrari posters and put up a Tesla one because everyone would now know that Tesla makes the fastest car out there.
More importantly however it would let the world know that electric cars are the fastest accelerating cars on the planet...bar-none.

I think for the EV industry as a whole an electric Supercar that out accelerates the fastest gas guzzler on the market would serve as a massive psychological jolt for the world to finally wake up to the potential of the electric car!

And here's the best part...I think Tesla could build this special edition roadster for a fraction of the price of a Bugatti (currently starting at $1.7 million!)
What would the automotive world say if Tesla could make a Bugatti beater for 1/5 of the price or lower!?
Might also be a nice little money maker for Tesla as well...but it's the brand exposure for Tesla and EV's that would pay off big here.

I think Tesla needs this kind of exposure to get their name out there as the world's pinnacle electric car manufacturer. They need to do this if they want their name to survive long term because let's face it, if the big auto makers want to get serious about electric cars they could produce cheaper vehicles that people would be more likely to buy, as they will tend to trust big brand names like "Toyota, Nissan, etc." They know that these companies are likely to still be around for the next 10-15 years over the life of their vehicle so that spare parts, etc will be readily available. This is something people will be apprehensive about when looking at buying a Tesla - it's a new brand that might not make it.

However as I said by making the worlds fastest car and getting the Tesla name on the tips of everybody's tongues, that fear of an unknown brand will quickly fade away.
Telsa need not build a huge amount of these "supersports" either...Bugatti only makes a hundred or so cars every year. Just enough to take the title of fastest accelerating production vehicle will be enough.

I'm with Elon...Tesla should build an electric Supercar but the Roadster is so close to that already...just up the specs...do it now...save a ton of money...and reap the brand awareness much more quickly!

Cheers!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Pretty sad to get no response to this idea on the Tesla forum.

I really think this is the best, easiest, and least expensive way for Tesla to put its brand on the map (startle the automotive world by producing the fastest accellerating car on the market)...they will need this brand awareness if they are to compete with the big boys once they decide to get serious about EV's.
  • edited November -1
    My opinion is that the best way for Tesla to get recognition is to have the Model S (and X) out there, working well, and have the owners talk about them and show them.

Most people just don't care about fastest accelerating car when they will never be able to have one themselves They'll just think "Oh, another impractical and dangerous car for the very wealthy". Or they think "My Maserati goes 185, I lost my license, now I can't drive" and wonder how people can be dumb enough to buy one of those things. Either way the result is that they will mentally tune out anytime that the Tesla brand is mentioned. That's not to say that Tesla shouldn't make a new Roadster somewhere down the line, because there is a small market for that kind of car, but it's should be way down on the priority list.

A pizza bet says that 80% of random people on the street can't name the fastest accelerating car.
  • edited November -1
    A Bugatti Veyron at max speed runs out of fuel in about 12 minutes and 50 miles. The fuel tank is 100 litres.

You'd need a *big* battery...

Tesla already built a sports car to get people's attention, now they need to deliver the model s.

Personally, I'd prefer that they built a larger, slightly more practical sports car than the Roadster. The model S will be the first sedan that I have ever purchased - I've always driven performance cars.
  • edited November -1
    I would like some of the more technical guys on the forum to weigh in on what they think it would take to get a Roadster Sport to do 0-60mph in less than 2.4 secs? Also how much battery drain would this require (remember I am talking about an upgraded battery pack using new Model S cells).
    Of course Model S is their focus and flagship model and we all want it to do well. However very few people outside the US have even heard of Tesla. They need to make a big splash to develope some brand awareness.
    Jerry3 I think you underestimate the value of building the world's fastest accellerating car for Tesla. People stop and take note of anything that is #1 in the world. Why? Because it takes an incredible amount of engineering and skill to produce anything that is #1...people respect #1, even if they aren't all that interested in the particular product.
    Think of the magazine headlines..."Fastest car in the world, oh and by the way IT'S ELECTRIC!"
    Do you really think that this wouldn't massively move the EV market forward by getting the average petrol-head to wake up to the potenital of EV's? Not to mention get nearly everyone reading that particular magazine to check out the Tesla website and have a look at their other more affordable models? This may actually drive more Model S and X sales.

This is about getting the Tesla name out there as fast as possible because if they don't when the big boys like Toyota decide to get serious about EV's what do you think the average person is likely to go for? A Toyota EV or the unknown Tesla EV brand which may or may not be around in 10 years?

I just think this would be a cheap way for Tesla to take a big title away from the gas guzzlers and create a massive amount of publicity for the brand.
    I am sure Lotus could whip off a hundred or so more chassis to make a few of these "Supersports"...all the hard work has already been done, they don't need to make a whole new car, just up the Roadster specs and get it done...why wait?

p.s. not to mention the fact that the Tesla Bugatti beater would probably cost 1/5 of the Veyron! Would love to hear Clarkson choke on those words!
  • edited November -1
    "Because people always seem to know what is the fastest thing out there on the market."

I guess it depends on what you mean by "on the market". Most average folks don't know what a Pagani, McLaren, or even Bugatti is.

I guess most people do know about Ferraris and Lamborghinis, but I honestly think that Tesla spending the time to make a supercar right now would kind of throw them off track.

It wouldn't be enough for Tesla to just make a really fast car. People looking to buy a supercar, or heck, even just journalists wanting to write about a supercar, expectvehicles in this category to be engineered to the highest degree of sophistication for performance. That's the whole point of a supercar. I think it would take a lot of time and effort.

If Tesla did it, I think normal people will care about it as much as they do a Bugatti or Lamborghini, which is not really very much at all. Only some enthusiasts will care.

Some day, it may be interesting for Tesla to work on a supercar.

However, for a sports car, the Roadster 2.0 makes more sense, and I want to see the X, a $30,000 car, a minivan, and hopefully a ~$20,000 compact car from Tesla before they ever start working on a supercar.
  • edited November -1
    P.S.

"I really think this is the best, <b>easiest</b>, and <b>least expensive</b> way for Tesla to put its brand on the map"

Really? That this would be the "best" way is at least debateable, but easiest or cheapest? I really doubt that.
  • edited November -1
    Mark E, jerrye, olanmills +1, +1, +1
    teddyg -1

"Petrolheads" are a minute and unimportant market factor, despite their own opinion of the importance of their opinions.

Elon has also said it was a mistake to build an electric version of an ICE car. The Elise version of the Roadster is history.

The next will be on the GenIII platform, and will not have all the kluges and compromises of the Roadster 1.0-2.5 .

Wait for it.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I forgot the other thing about a Veyron.

They cost $1.6 M each.
  • edited November -1
    I agree 100% with Brian H.

Elon's motivation is to demonstrate that electric vehicles are the way of the future for the masses. There's nothing to be gained by creating a supercar when most people are best serviced by the S and X. The Gen III will continue the trend in lowering the cost of mass market electric-only vehicles with no compromises.
  • edited November -1
    I meant tho' that the next Roadster/supercar will be on the next (smaller skateboard?) platform, from the GenIII. It will be designed "from the ground up". I wonder if it will resemble the current Roadster!?