Model S

Large screen black

edited November -1 in Model S
Yesterday we lost wifi connectivity, so tried the standard 2 scroll reboot. Result is we have a permanent black screen.
Also the regular dash is dark, and goes off occasionally. set service appointment, but is for Feb. 4.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Try a hard reboot - Press the brake pedal and hold, then press and hold the scroll wheels for 30 seconds.

A more extreme method is to disconnect the 12v battery for 10 seconds or so.
  • edited November -1
    Tried the scroll reboot about 20 times with no results.
  • edited November -1
    See if you are able to charge. When my screen went black, I could not. If you are not able, take care to preserve what charge you have. Plug in as well to reduce phantom losses.
  • edited January 2020
    @sofaguy - Did you do a hard reboot? This is different than the plain 2-scroll wheel reboot. How old is your car?
  • edited November -1
    just tried the brake pedal & scrolls, nothing!
    The screen is off now, so can't power off the car down
  • edited January 2020
    Car powers off by itself. You may have climate running which is why I suggested you plug it in to maintain your SOC.
  • edited January 2020
    2015 S85D
  • edited November -1
    Read up on MCU and eMMCs. It's about a $2000 fix to replace the MCU. Can be done by a ranger.
  • edited November -1
    It was sudden, no warning
  • edited November -1
    Were you seeing any glitchiness or random reboots of the screen?
  • edited January 2020
    I had my 2015 85D center screen/MCU go black, in June 2019 (around 70k miles). Nothing would bring it back and it required a new MCU1. Unless something has changed, this work cannot be done by the ranger service. The problem with mine was pretty much the memory issue (chip went bad), and with MCU1, these chips are welded in so cannot be replaced. The cost of the MCU replace was $2432, after tax. Last year, they didn't offer MCU upgrade. I believe now you can get MCU2. Tesla service suggested to: clear out the trips, and delete old "destinations" in the maps, etc...to free up memory, but I believe that has far less impact than all of the logging going on. Good luck
  • edited January 2020
    correction, memory is soldered, not welded. I'll add that I after one of my "reboot" attempts as suggested by Tesla, I ended up losing my HVAC. In the summer it was hot enough, but here (Connecticut) in the winter, that would be brutal and probably make the vehicle unusable because the windows would fog/ice up, not to mention no defroster, etc..
  • edited January 2020
    @steve
    I said above that a ranger can replace the MCU because that's how mine was done last week. The eMMC chip can be desoldered by good DIYers and third parties have been upgrading the chip prior to failure for people. Clearing the cache of nav info and trip meters didn't help me plus I lost all my addresses and lifetime efficiency data when a service center reset the car without my permission. The ranger said there is no way to do an MCU2 upgrade on my AP0 car. He said it would need a different dash display at a minimum.
  • edited January 2020
    Car charges at home. headlamps, taillights, turn signals all OK. Get heat. No radio or other functions that use the large screen. No Nav. No auto open garage door (lazy now, have to get out of car) Car runs like normal, but quiet (no radio) so strange.
  • edited February 2020
    We are now getting a growing "dead" spot on the top right side of instrument panel. Started this morning, and now almost halfway down right side about 1/2 inch thick. There is now a sound from dash area that sounds like an old plug in timer for lights at home. Clicking warring, but a soft sound. One payment left, and it's falling apart? Last year 1/2: Rear drive unit, onboard charger, auto pilot sensor cameras and computers, Steering rack, corroded ground causing a lot of issues with sensors & suspension, headlamps failure, sensor replacements, & on.... Love the car, but now frustrating. My wife says "they" are f**c*ing with us so we buy another car...???
  • edited February 2020
    I have similar problem with yours 2 weeks ago. Got a Feb 4 appointment
  • edited April 2020
    I have the same problem.. either two scroll and four ddidn't work at all.. Bur charging works good.
  • edited June 2020
    Both screens turned black on my model S while I was slowing down for a red light. Car continued to drive normally and both screen rebooted by itself restoring both screens after about two minutes. Should I call for service? This happened without warning about an hour after I fully charged the car which I had not done for months.
  • edited June 2020
    software bug, ignore it unless its recurrent
  • edited June 2020
    Thanks. That’s what I intended to do.
  • edited June 2020
    Thanks. That’s what I intended to do.
  • edited July 2020
    My 4/2016 S with 64K went black the other day. For over two years and while under warranty I have been complaining about the web browser not working like it used to. It refused to re-book a couple of months ago and I fixed that by removing my USB music stick.

I took it to service as they said they could not send out a ranger. They immediately told me I needed a new MCU for $1142 installed or for $2250 I could get a new MCU that wouldn't have the eMMC problem. I opted for the upgrade but later in the day they told me the upgrade wouldn't work with my car because I had a manual lift trunk. They ordered the refurbished MCU as they did not have one. BTW they said the refurbished MCU would still have the same chip and the same problem but it was guaranteed for four years. The also said if I wanted to keep my old one there was a $1000 core charge.

It occurred to me that they ordered the part without looking at my car! I asked them how do you know my eMMC has failed and they offered to try and fix the files for $175, and they did. The car is back working link new much faster again, BUT they said they don't know how long it will last.

I talked with the guy that fixed the software and he said he did a service firmware install. I ask is that like a system image update and he said he didn't have root access and he wasn't sure if he replaced the entire OS. I doubt he did as it remembered most of my settings like the seat/mirrors, homelink and phones.

Now I hope it lasts long enough for the infotainment upgrade to become available for my car which was supposed to be March.
  • edited July 2020
    My 4/2016 S with 64K went black the other day. For over two years and while under warranty I have been complaining about the web browser not working like it used to. It refused to re-boot a couple of months ago and I fixed that by removing my USB music stick.

I took it to service as they said they could not send out a ranger. They immediately told me I needed a new MCU for $1142 installed or for $2250 I could get a new MCU that wouldn't have the eMMC problem. I opted for the upgrade but later in the day they told me the upgrade wouldn't work with my car because I had a manual lift trunk. They ordered the refurbished MCU as they did not have one. BTW they said the refurbished MCU would still have the same chip and the same problem but it was guaranteed for four years. The also said if I wanted to keep my old one there was a $1000 core charge.

It occurred to me that they ordered the part without looking at my car! I asked them how do you know my eMMC has failed and they offered to try and fix the files for $175, and they did. The car is back working link new much faster again, BUT they said they don't know how long it will last.

I talked with the guy that fixed the software and he said he did a service firmware install. I ask is that like a system image update and he said he didn't have root access and he wasn't sure if he replaced the entire OS. I doubt he did as it remembered most of my settings like the seat/mirrors, homelink and phones.

Now I hope it lasts long enough for the infotainment upgrade to become available for my car which was supposed to be March.
  • edited July 2020
    delsjunk, Look on the web at tesla.com in your general area if you don't already know if there's another service center. If you find one you can drive to, see if you can create a new work ticket for that different service center for MCU2 Upgrade. If they accept the work order and text you, tell them your car does not have auto liftgate and does it make a difference. Maybe a different SC has a different answer. Because I've seen no one else report that.

And your "fixed" eMMC simply got a band-aid. You already know that. Its not going to last, but I don't think there's any difference in auto or manual liftgate. As you know the buttons are just software.
  • edited July 2020
    Just picked up a used 2017 model x yesterday. Today bring it in to work and the screen went black. No turn signals, no a/c. Vehicle towed to Tesla center. Lets see what happens. Not a good experience at all