Model 3

Feature Request - Front Camera when pulling into a space

edited November -1 in Model 3
Seems like it would be simple to direct the front camera to the screen when pulling forward into a tight parking spot or garage. The button that now activates the rear camera could automatically select which camera to view depending on whether vehicle is in D or R. Seems like it would be simple for Tesla to implement.

Tesla's obstacle detection misses very low objects in front, such as parking burms or curbs that the bumper may or may not clear. I think it would help. Anyone agree?

Comments

• edited January 2020
    The camera is higher than your line of sight,.so I don't see how this would benefit.
  • edited January 2020
    "Tesla's obstacle detection misses very low objects in front, such as parking burms or curbs that the bumper may or may not clear. I think it would help. Anyone agree?"

We all agree because that is the fact of the matter. I was lucky someone backed into my car and scraped the front bumper. I got the scrape fixed plus all the scoring on bottom of the front facia from running over curbs in front.

It would be so inexpensive for Tesla to fix, a couple ultrasonic sensors in the front bumper.

$1,800 to repaint bumper plus $800 to reapply PPF and Ceramic.
  • edited November -1
    Look at the front camera view from Sentry Mode, and you will see why Tesla hasn’t done this. The front camera view would not be particularly helpful for that purpose.
  • edited November -1
    I back into all parking spots if at all possible.
  • edited January 2020
    Do an experiment, when you've parked stick your head to the level of the cameras (they're behind the rearview mirror), you'll get an idea of what the camera sees.

Or, you can hit the dashcam button after you've parked. Then observe what the video shows as you parked the car, that'll give you a good idea of what to expect to see on the screen.

After this let us know if you still think showing the front camera image is a good idea.
  • edited January 2020
    @stingray.don,
    you beat me to it :)
  • edited January 2020
    Those aftermarket cameras are in the bumper area.
  • edited January 2020
    Virtual Elon Assist would have solved this problem in no time
  • edited January 2020
    Learn the size of your car. How did we live through the last several decades?

Rover had a show car, a Range Rover (it was at an exhibition, so luckily it didn't have to drive) about five years ago that had cameras set up so that when you looked out the windshield, the front of the car disappeared. Gave a clear image of the rock that was about to hole the pan on your aluminum Buick/Olds/Pontiac V-8. I have no idea where the technology evaporated to, although being British, I suspect Mum "put it away" and forgot where.

The Model 3 is not a large car. There's no need nor payoff in driving it into a parking space until it scrapes, or the tire bounces off the curb or berm. Learn where your nose ends. Be a Motorist.
  • edited January 2020
    I believe the technology is alive and well, check out this commercial for the new Chevy Silverado with cameras that can make a towed trailer “disappear“.
  • It is unfortunate that the M3's front camera would not be helpful in this situation. The proposed solution of backing into a parking spot while effective, is not feasible in a lot of situations.
  • edited January 2020
    I would rather slide in sideways than have to parallel park. Do you agree?
  • edited January 2020
  • edited January 2020
    Mahk hates Chevy nearly as much as I do, and blessings on him for it. Extra points for the non-PC bits as well. Almost all of his series is worth the minutes.

Yeah, I don't think it's possible anymore to park like in front of a Blues Brothers restaurant. I could do that stuff in my Datsun 2000, but there's just too much nanny-fication out there now.
  • Please put a camera and/or more curb detection sensors in the front bumper in any new revisions or new models to make your front bumper safe from high curbs and get a better birds eye view for tricky situations or rock crawling adventures.
  • > @beachmiles_98462993 said:
    > Please put a camera and/or more curb detection sensors in the front bumper in any new revisions or new models to make your front bumper safe from high curbs and get a better birds eye view for tricky situations or rock crawling adventures.

Rock Crawling adventures?...in a M3? LOL
  • This is a lacking feature in Tesla. The 2017 Bolt I traded in had great 360 Birdseye view for parking. My Audi A6 also has Birdseye view and I can turn the front camera on for parking from a programmable button on the steering wheel. From there I can select multiple camera views. It is a very nice feature given the expense of scraping a wheel or the front splitter.
  • I’d like to see two cameras in front and back. So when pulling out of a parking lot either in reverse or pulling forward and have two big trucks next to me, I can see oncoming cars. Right now I need to creep forward or creep slowly in reverse hoping cars see my pulling out. I always get trucks parking next to me giving me a blind spot as a result when getting out.
  • One of the rumors is the 360 degree view is coming in our Xmas stocking. We shall find out soon.
  • Stand outside your car, summon it out from the large blocking trucks, hop in and go.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > One of the rumors is the 360 degree view is coming in our Xmas stocking. We shall find out soon.

That’s interesting as the consensus from above is that the current cameras do not provide the correct angles/views for a true Birdseye function like my Bolt did or the A6 does.
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > That’s interesting as the consensus from above is that the current cameras do not provide the correct angles/views for a true Birdseye function like my Bolt did or the A6 does.

I guess we will find out when Elon gives us our Christmas present. What is Audi getting you for Christmas?
  • I think there already is a front view system in place. It's called a windshield.
  • > @M3phan said:
    > Stand outside your car, summon it out from the large blocking trucks, hop in and go.

Exactly what I do when huge trucks park next to me. Get's quite a few looks too and people ask me what I am doing!
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > > @M3phan said:
    > > Stand outside your car, summon it out from the large blocking trucks, hop in and go.
    >
    > Exactly what I do when huge trucks park next to me. Get's quite a few looks too and people ask me what I am doing!

What a joke. All that because the car does not have cross-traffic alert and auto braking. Hope it was not too cold or raining or took too long while others are trying to get by you as you slowly pull your car out.