Model 3

AC Odor: Will filter change suffice or is foam cleaner necessary?

edited November -1 in Model 3
For those of you who were successful at getting rid of the AC smell, did you only change out the filters or did you also use the spray foam cleaner? Tesla service recommended only changing the filters.

Don’t mind doing it myself....save a few $$’s.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I found that replacing the filters and using two cans of foam cleaner have done the trick... I made a video on this to help out folks... Tesla Model 3 AC Smell | 60 Day Follow-Up | Air Filter Replacement
  • edited November -1
    you need to come back in July and ask this question.
  • edited November -1
    I doubt that a filter change will help at all - the filters do not get wet. There might be a small amount of residual smell in them, but that should be it.

IMHO, cleaning the coils is all that's necessary - no need to change filters.
  • edited November -1
    Last summer, did both. Changed filters and did the intake foam service. Zero smell now for several months.
  • Sorry my link did not post...
  • edited February 1
  • edited November -1
    The smell has not come back after the second cleaning by SC; free of charge both times.
  • I have the same issue and the SC is making me pay $$$ for cleaning it and changing the filters. They say the technicians have determined that this is not covered under warranty. I have had my car for two years.
  • > @gwleong_98141484 said:
    > For those of you who were successful at getting rid of the AC smell, did you only change out the filters or did you also use the spray foam cleaner? Tesla service recommended only changing the filters.
    >
    > Don’t mind doing it myself....save a few $$’s.

I did both, so far no smell, if you already are changing the filters spraying Kool-It cleaner is nothing. In fact I paid more for the cleaner than I did the filters.
  • I removed the cabin filters and did not replace them. I just put in the aftermarket frunk filter instead. Much easier to replace and cheaper going forward.
  • One year old filters smelled like socks and were dump to the touch. Changing filters helped a little bit, I still get initial smell but after few minutes it's gone.
  • I had very bad odors at times wear depending on the day and since almost new (now 2 years old 30k). I just replaced the filters with the ones from Tesla and past few months seems ok now.

I just want to know who the idiot was that decided to put the screw that holds the filter door on the very top in the most hard to reach spot when they could have put it at the bottom. Obviously another example of an engineer that never ever actually works on cars but thinks he is qualified to design them.
  • Plus one on the fcking screw haha
  • Filter change worked fine for me.
  • I think the cause of smell (at least for my case) was car washing while AC was ON. Put the AC in circulate mode, which closes louvers, and turn the AC OFF before washing your car.
  • > @007bondMI6 said:
    > I had very bad odors at times wear depending on the day and since almost new (now 2 years old 30k). I just replaced the filters with the ones from Tesla and past few months seems ok now.
    >
    > I just want to know who the idiot was that decided to put the screw that holds the filter door on the very top in the most hard to reach spot when they could have put it at the bottom. Obviously another example of an engineer that never ever actually works on cars but thinks he is qualified to design them.

I lost the screw.... it dropped back there somewhere... I used tape to keep the thing in place. lol
  • Ramoska "I lost the screw.... it dropped back there somewhere... I used tape to keep the thing in place. lol"

I almost lost it and there are a few black holes that if it goes you are never getting it back. I just kept thinking how much easier this would be if the screw was on the bottom. Also on one of my other cars it was just a snap that held the door in place that would have been ok too.

Joshan "Filter change worked fine for me."

Sure it's fine if you like doing more work than needed to get the job done or I could see it going fine if you have hands the size of a child. But if you have normal to large hands it's not easy and again there is no need to design things that are difficult when they could be super easy.
  • The nice thing about bringing the car in for service versus DIY is that when the SC Tech drops a screw, it is easily remedied with extra stock screws on hand. The Tech might even make corrections to the car that are unrelated to the AC smell issue. I haven’t gotten the AC odor yet, but if and when I do, I will schedule a SC appointment.
  • I finally had the “smell” pop up after almost 2 years. Replaced the filters and it mostly helped, then went back and did the foam and that took care of it.
  • I’ve scheduled for cleaning at the end of the month. Pretty sure if you want it smelling good for more than 6 months it needs cleaning and new filters. The last cleaning and filter change lasted about a year and a half.
  • Same with coleAK, my car was totally free of the odor until about a month ago, 3mos short of 2 yrs of ownership. I changed the filters and the odor is completely gone, somewhat to my surprise. I did not clean anything.
  • > @h2ev said:
    > Same with coleAK, my car was totally free of the odor until about a month ago, 3mos short of 2 yrs of ownership. I changed the filters and the odor is completely gone, somewhat to my surprise. I did not clean anything.

Wonder if changing the filters right when you notice the odor will prevent the musk from getting to the evaporator coil?
  • "prevent the musk from getting to the evaporator coil?"
    Elon Musk?
  • https://youtu.be/FADTcteppFY

Replaced filter cover screw with strong magnet

Makes changing the filters much easier. I just heard about it, so I don't have first-hand experience yet.