Model 3

Tesla Ride-Sharing is coming, next I anticipate Tesla Rentals

edited November -1 in Model 3
EM: I think it will probably make sense to enable car sharing in advance of the kind of robotaxi fleet because the car sharing can be done before Full Self-Driving is approved by regulators. So it’s probably something that we would enable before a sort of robotaxi fleet is enabled.

---
I'm a robo-taxi fleet skeptic but was convinced about Tesla ride-sharing network and Tesla rentals. I was influenced heavily because I tried Uber and Turo. Let's see where this goes :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Basically this will be Tesla being Uber. This is a 100% profit generator for them. Instead of ride sharing through Uber, one does it through Tesla. this has nothing to do with FSD, even my 2014 MS could do this. Granted I don't know all of the details of this move on their part, but "ride sharing" is an app.

This is actually a brilliant move on their part. Just think of all of the non Tesla owners out there that instead of using Uber/Lyft, getting picked up in anything, they can't use Tesla ride sharing and they know they will get a Tsal to pick them up. This also just creates more exposure for Tesla.
  • edited February 4
    Free advertising.
  • edited February 4
    I think it'll be more akin to ZipCars than Uber/Lyft. Still an interesting concept, but will depend on how it's implemented. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed, but I'd want to know what kind of assurance there would be that my car would be back where I need it when I need it before I'd be part of it.
  • edited February 4
    "This is actually a brilliant move on their part." @jordanrichard

Wasn't this the plan all along?
    --
    I'd happily trade my Uber rides for Tesla. If I'm covered by their insurance and if I can write off those miles as depreciation in taxes that's a big enough win for me. Oh, I also need to be able to filter rides to work/home.
  • edited February 4
    Hokiegirl, IMHO no one is going to sign up to have their cars used in a Zipcar fashion. There is no guarantee your car would get back to you in time for you to leave work.
  • edited February 4
    @jordan - That's exactly my concern, and is similar to the robo-taxi issue as I see it -- though with the additional challenge that it can't get back to you on it's own. For an Uber/lyft, they'd probably do better to partner with one of them as a separate service under their app (like the Lime/Byrd scooters) rather than creating a whole separate service. There are already a number of people who drive for the existing services in Tesla vehicles.
  • edited February 4
    @hokiegir1,
    You're basically asking for Turo.

There's one thing that Tesla would have better over Turo - remotely unlocking the car. I wouldn't have to meet my customers in person to handover the keys. Or I won't have to do pre-delivery inspection thanks to sentry mode and in-cabin camera.
    Turo worked great for me, and I'd be all over Tesla's version of Turo.

About getting your car back to you in time, no worries I anticipate Tesla ride-share credits if some slip up occurs.

The only kink is with repair times, they need to do something with replacement Teslas and/or rapid repairs. I suffered quite a bit due to long repair times when a Turo renter got into a fender bender in my car.
  • edited February 4
    Well, with Robo taxi, the people in the car are not in control. So a robo car will know before even accepting a ride, whether or not it can do the trip and get back in time. A ZipCar set up has someone driving your car and nothing is to stop them from making a side trip which then delays them getting back to you in time. Also, ZipCar cars is primarily for one way trips. No telling if there will be a return trip, in time to get back to you. This is why Tesla basically becoming their own Uber, will be best, until the actual robo cars come on line.
  • edited February 4
    Another way to collect more data. Genius.
  • edited February 4
    "Ford Edge's Autosteer is much smoother than Model 3's and it doesn't keep asking for hands on wheel, not sure how Ford is able to do it without the check-in."

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Anyway -- @jordan - I think we're saying the same thing re: limitations/problems, but just expressing them differently. :) And I'm not proposing that Tesla use a zipCar-like method -- just saying that I was anticipating something similar. I'm really not sure how many owners will happily do either a robo-taxi or customer-driven ride share type service, given that these are people who spend thousands to have paint correction, ceramic coatings, and protection films applied. I just don't see them handing over any level of control -- nor offering to do the driving themselves for the most part, since that was already an option using current ride-share services.
  • edited February 4
    Ignoring the above and moving on.

Did I mention I made several months of car payments from renting my car out - even after taking the accident into consideration?

Did I also mention that I benefited from ride-share money while I was basically commuting to work and back?

So I don't give much if Tesla benefits or not, I'm getting a way to boost my own revenue :)) that's the real benefit.
  • edited February 4
    Hmm..@hokiegir1 you're not to be ignored :))
  • edited February 4
    "What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"

Robotaxi must have Autosteer and Tesla's Autosteer is not as good as other production cars so miles to go before Tesla is "robotaxiing" and when they do it won't be with any currently equipped Teslas.
  • edited February 4
    @vmulla - Hubby has driven ours for lyft. There are some owners who I'm sure would participate, but the amount of people who have the "no fingers shall touch my marvelous machine" mindset is still high. I'm not sure there are enough who aren't like that (yet) to make the service viable as a standalone, which is why I said they could start out partnering with one of the existing companies. Now, once Model Ys are in high numbers on the road, I think we'll enter "regular" owner territory and it might be more feasible.
  • edited February 4
    I thought this thread was about ride sharing?
  • edited November -1
    "no fingers shall touch my marvelous machine" mindset @hokiegir1

:)) Yup. Getting over that attitude is an important change towards sustainable transportation as envisioned by Tesla.
  • edited November -1
    I don't want anyone touching my baby either. But there is a price where that starts to fade :)
  • edited February 4
    umm no thanks this thread is about Tesla Ride Sharing. Stop trying to derail.
  • edited November -1
    So back to Tesla Ride Sharing...
  • edited November -1
    If done right, the Tesla ride-share/taxi model will disrupt short haul air travel.
    Imagine urban Superchargers as staging points for car rentals. Renting a Tesla + EAP is so much better than air tickets. The convenience is awesome.
  • edited February 4
    So don't do it and let the adults in the room have a discussion.

@vmulla, totally agree if will be huge if done right. I am in Chicago and it would be amazing to just head over to the supercharger and grab a Tesla and have it drive me down to Disney. I can see this as a huge growth opportunity since they already control the entire pipeline.
  • edited February 4
    @Joshan - I'd just be happy being able to fly to Disney and then have a Tesla available when we need a vehicle. We've been cursing all of our rentals lately.
  • edited February 4
    Agree 100% I fly to Florida in 2 days HAHA!
  • edited November -1
    @Joshan,
    I specifically mentioned short-haul air travel ;)
    I've done the Washington DC to Florida route far too many times with the kiddos, and it isn't easy - economical but not easy.
    I'm thinking folks will prefer semi-autonomous rental cars to fly between the smaller cities and the airline hubs - if you put in the time of travel + security + getting to/from the airport.

I've said this many times on this forum before - I'm waiting for the day when I drive my Tesla to the airport, leave it there at the Supercharger to be rented out, fly somewhere, land and rent another Tesla (hopefully from another Tesla owner)
  • edited February 4
    no one cares about you or turo, stop derailing the thread troll.