Model X

Wild Model X Wiper Behavior in Snow

edited November -1 in Model X
So took the Model X across Snoqualmie Pass in Seattle this weekend. Everything worked well, I was really worried about the charge level but the car worked great. One thing was weird, though. As we were crossing the pass, it was snowing/raining and freezing. With the wipers on, there was a HUGE buildup of snow on the bottom side of the wipers. As they tried to wipe, they'd leave a slushy mess going one way and clean going the other. This was distracting as you might imagine, especially taking my car in these conditions for the first time. I assume that the snow built up prior to turning on the wipers for the first time? I finally fixed things by turning off the wipers, then turning them on FULL blast which flung the ice/snow balls off into the adjacent lane. This seemed to work. Just curious if anyone has observed this. Don't know of anything that I can do as the driver, might just be a design 'feature' with the way the wipers are place in relation to the frunk and windshield. Thanks!

-newbie Pete in Seattle
2018 MX 75D
2018 M3

Comments

• edited November -1
    Do you have the cold package that melts the snow where the wiper is parked?
  • edited February 18
    It tries to Bighorn, but it’s a little lackluster in practice. :P
    I alternate double tapping the front defroster to turn it on high for a few minutes to try and keep the lower section of the windshield clear, and giving a bit of washer fluid to keep things liquid.
  • @newbie Pete: You are 100% correct. I was driving home from Lake Tahoe to the Bay Area 3 weeks ago in a heavy snow storm. Blobs of ice/snow were continually stuck to the base of the driver side wiper making it rather dangerous to drive since it was smearing the driver side window! I had to stop 5 times to get that stuff off until we reached a low enough elevation when the snow turned to rain. Tesla MUST fix this problem or replace or recommend another skew for their X wipers! Thank you for reporting.
  • edited August 4
    Tesla is planning to launch its cars in India. The bookings for the Tesla Model 3 was started four years ago but still, it didn't make t the Indian market, but now the CEO himself confirms the launch of the car soon in India. ( Source: https://www.mototechindia.com/ ) So, the new and upcoming tesla cars might be launched near the end of this year. Also, a lot of states in India are offering major automotive brands to setup there factory. State authorities have reached out to major brands like Tesla, Honda and Audi to setup up there factories. The Tesla Model 3 will soon roll on the Indian streets.