Model S

Navigation - Routing with No Traffic Data

For the last several days, when I attempt to navigate to a location, I get a warning message "Routing with no traffic data" at the top of the turn-by-turn list. Navigation works fine. Warning message remains for entire trip.

1. I have premium connectivity (listed on account and car) and am streaming music along with seeing traffic indicators on the map (red/orange color at intersections for example).
2. Traffic-Based Routing is enabled (button to right showing blue to the left).
3. I've toggled the Traffic-Based Routing off then back on.
4. I've rebooted the MCU twice.

Looking back at my Teslafi trips, I'm thinking the last time I use Nav was on 1/4/2020. I was on software 2019.40.2.3 at that time. Now, am on software 2020.4.1 as of 2/5/2020. Anyone have any ideas of what is going on or how to fix (absent notifying Tesla)?

2015 85D, 37421 mi.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Had the same happen to me. When I got home and confirmed I the car was attached to wifi. Rebooted (hold down brake pedal and both scroll wheels) and maps updated.
  • edited March 2020
    That message usually means the car doesn’t have cell connectivity so it can’t get traffic data. The maps are cached so you can still navigate without a connection. Did you lose LTE when this happened?
  • @rm760, tried this and didn't help. Still get the warning message even when hooked to house WiFi and did a navigate.

@EVRider, has been happening consistently regardless of location. Cell indicator shows I have an LTE connection plus streaming music continues to play and maps have traffic (based on color) shown.
  • edited November -1
    If the traffic visualization is working, it's not clear if the message is incorrect or it's really unable to account for traffic when routing you. I'm at a loss to explain it, given what you said (and you said you tried rebooting).
  • edited March 2020
    Flagged in the nick of time
  • edited November -1
    Bryan
    Open a service request via the app on your phone. There is a specific category for software related issues. Ask to have the latest 2020.4.10.1 sent to your vehicle. Have been reading about the pullback of 2020.4.1 software which you state you are running due to technical issues.
  • edited March 2020
    @rm760: Where have you been reading about a pullback of 2020.4.1? That's what I have on both of our Teslas.
  • Reached out to Tesla via the Contact link on the website. Heard back from Tesla Support who suggested MCU reboot followed by car power down. Didn’t fix the problem. Waiting for them to come back with other options. The only other issue that I’ve noticed (and may/may not be related) is that I’ve periodically received the download nav map data message. I’ve tried numerous times to download via WiFi but have been unsuccessful. This was previously reported to the service center who was unable to fix but said they would take it under advisement. Haven’t heard back on that issue in weeks. Reported the map download issue to Tesla Support as part of this issue. When trying to download the map data, it only downloads about 10% and then hangs and never progresses.
  • edited November -1
    My hang was at about 90%. They fixed it by partitioning and formatting the place where the map is stored and then triggering a download of the map. That was in the first week of January and it has worked fine since. My car had been trying to download the map for about a year.
  • edited March 2020
    @murphyS90D, are you new maps still the shitty light grey like the old ones or are they back to having colors again?
  • edited March 2020
    No colors in the latest maps.
  • edited November -1
    Update: Went through the contact us link on the website. They had me do all the usual stuff (reboot, power off, etc.) then gave up and said schedule a service appointment. Scheduled an appointment. Been working via text with the Toledo Service Center. So far as of yesterday, the forced a download of 2020.4.1 (already had) but reinstalled. Did that then they had me connect to wifi for the evening and were supposedly going to force a map update. Can't tell if that was successful or not, but I'm guessing not since I still had the "Routing with No Traffic Data" error this morning. Replied back to them with the error. Haven't heard anything but I'm assuming they are working on it.
  • edited November -1
    Latest update: Heard back from SC today. They will need to send someone out to "use our scan tool to load the update directly to the vehicle". Not exactly sure what this means, but car has been connected to WiFi for two nights. Apparently they can see something in the logs that lets them know that something isn't downloading/updating.
  • edited November -1
    Update as of 3/19. Ranger came out today and tried to download maps. Failed for him also. He's going to open a ticket to engineering but thinks there is the possibility of the MCU failing. He said engineering can "back door" some things and will take a look at it.
  • edited March 2020
    bryan, we will be wondering. Let us know what's happening.
  • Update as of 4/6. After ranger visit on 3/19, Tesla closed the service ticket. Reopened a new service request and worked with Tesla over the past couple of weeks. They pushed new firmware and had me try to download maps. Map download continued to fail. Received a message today that they were able to push a map download (car was connected to WiFi). Went out and checked and wow! Nav now works without the error message, plus on-screen (instrument cluster) map looks different and I have the "feeling lucky" option on nav. So, apparently, there were major updates pushed. I did ask them what they did and response back was "we freed up some more space". That's all they said. At any rate, happy they were able to remotely fix.
  • edited April 2020
    @bryan.hopkins, it would be interesting to know exactly how and what space do they mean they freed up?
  • edited April 2020
    Tl, I can't find the video where it was shown to explain it, but I will watch for it to show you too. I remember seeing someone explain that maps are stored on SD media on the main board, not the eMMC with firmware. I would guess that in bryan's case, they reformatted the card to install maps.
  • @tldickerson, I agree, but they weren’t very forthcoming with any additional information.
  • edited April 2020
    My guess - failing MCU1 eMMC.
  • edited April 2020
    ...but akikiki may be right. They tried reformatting my SD card to fix my firmware issue (did not work), and said they could not do that format remotely. That was a while ago, so may have changed. SD problem is better than eMMC!!
  • Tes-s, hope you’re wrong about the failing eMMC. Although, I bought used so I’ve got another three years and 40,000 miles or so where it would be covered under warranty.