Southern California

Best SDGE TOU plans for Solar & a Model 3

I am trying to decide between SDGE's DR-SES and EV TOU 5 plans. We have a 5 kW PV solar system on our home and have a Model 3.

At first glance if I just had an EV, paying $16/month for the 9¢/kWh super-off-peak rate makes sense since I charge at least 110 kW/month.

Since we also generate electricity, mostly during off-peak (and some on-peak), the equation changes doesn’t it? When the sun is out, my meter goes backward (at 25¢/kWh). It switches direction forward during on-peak dinner time (at 28¢/kWh), and more quickly clips along after midnight when I charge again at the ‘super-off-peak’ pace. How does SDG&E calculate my bill with all of this madness?

For example:
Presently I make 17 kW/day with solar (95% made during off-peak)
I charge 5 kW/day (super-off-peak)

If I understand correctly, during the day we generate what we use there is no charge (at 24¢/kWh). Once we over generate, we get a credit. These credits are not kW, nor are they dollar for dollar credits. These credits also don’t roll over into the next true up period. And any excess kW we make, are sold back to SDG&E at 3¢/kWh (not the 24-26 ¢ you buy them at).

My questions:
1) What plan do you suggest (DR-SES or EV TOU 5), and why?

2) Can you explain to me how SDG&E calculates the “Generation Credits” aka “NEM Charges”?

3) Since you don’t get a dollar-for-dollar value for “Remaining Credits” and they don’t ‘roll over’ into the next year, what strategies do you use to decrease this? Does this impact when you charge? Super off-peak or off-peak?

Thank you ahead of time!